IGNORED

6 year old handcuffed. . .

The_Patriot21

I doubt millions would rush to homeschool.

1. It takes dedication to WORK to homeschool a kid. I did that in the summers with my daughter inbetween the school year. Not all parents will have the drive to homeschool. They'd rather let the teachers do that.

2. Many Parents have to work for variety of reasons so they might not be likely to give that up.

I think at this point, there are enough parents who are more than satisfied to let the public school system teach their kids. Homeschooling would be a bit overwhelming for some/many. There are problems in school that doesn't prevent the parents from sending their kids there.

I'll re-word.

Parents would be pulling their children out of school if the norm was cuffing students...the only problem with that is, schools would be empty because like I said before, this kids behaviour is unfortunately the norm - most parents don't know that because they don't see what happens during the school day.

Sad but true, extreme temper spats are becoming all too frequent.

The US is not alone in this problem - it's a Western sickness.

sickness???? temper spats are common for two year olds, but if they are dealt with they stop long before six. and those that dont have to be dealt with becuse whatever the case, the kid can not keep that activity up and have any chance to be part of society......

Sickness was a flowery word to mean this is not an isolated problem but has spread (like a sickness)...

I know of strict parents at home who have little terrors at school.

There are some parents who are at their wits end because the child behaves differently at school.

Spend a day at a school in ALL year levels both at primary and high school and you will see that the behaviour is not good as gold and that even kids from pristine backgrounds can display the most piggish/brattish behaviours.

I have worked at both secular and Christian schools and the behaviour did not differ.

My wife just retired as a kindergarten teacher after 20+ years and when I showed her this story she said good for them.

She's had kids like this in her class occasionally and they deal harshly with them when they do.... this kind of action by a kid is not toleratible...... period. And the kid and the parents have to understand and do something about it. Schools are not the pace to fix this kind of problem.

LIke I mentioned in Cajunlovie's post, Australia wouldn't accept a six year old being cuffed. They would be up in arms.

The US obviously doesn't have a problem with it.

Having said that, the US (and the rest of the West) may as well get used to seeing this more often then, because the behaviour will not change in fact it is getting worse.

We know that as the end draws near acts of lawlessness and disrespect for authority will increase.

Edited by HGirl

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

1. It takes dedication to WORK to homeschool a kid. I did that in the summers with my daughter inbetween the school year. Not all parents will have the drive to homeschool. They'd rather let the teachers do that.

2. Many Parents have to work for variety of reasons so they might not be likely to give that up.

I think at this point, there are enough parents who are more than satisfied to let the public school system teach their kids. Homeschooling would be a bit overwhelming for some/many. There are problems in school that doesn't prevent the parents from sending their kids there.

I'll re-word.

Parents would be pulling their children out of school if the norm was cuffing students...the only problem with that is, schools would be empty because like I said before, this kids behaviour is unfortunately the norm - most parents don't know that because they don't see what happens during the school day.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

These acts aren't uncommon in the UK, US and Aus - I'd say NZ also cops this behaviour at schools as well.

I work at a school and this is everyday behaviour unfortunately throughout all year levels.

Cuffing a student (especially a six year old) just seems so extreme though.

It would be an outrage in Australia if that happened.

I'm quite cynical for the reason that parents have allowed their kids to behave like this for so long. They would usually gripe and throw a hissy fit then keep sending the kid back to school if they don't transfer the kid to another school.

I grew up in the public school system. Grade school to High school were zoned in the "bad part" of town which incidentially used to be the segregated part of town. It happens in all kinds of schools, both public and private. My daughter goes to a private school.

Sorry but I don't think ALL parents will be outraged. If there were enough parents outraged then we would not have a persistent problem with misbehavior, suspension, etc.

I'll re-word.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

These acts aren't uncommon in the UK, US and Aus - I'd say NZ also cops this behaviour at schools as well.

I work at a school and this is everyday behaviour unfortunately throughout all year levels.

Cuffing a student (especially a six year old) just seems so extreme though.

It would be an outrage in Australia if that happened.

I'm quite cynical for the reason that parents have allowed their kids to behave like this for so long. They would usually gripe and throw a hissy fit then keep sending the kid back to school if they don't transfer the kid to another school.

I grew up in the public school system. Grade school to High school were zoned in the "bad part" of town which incidentially used to be the segregated part of town. It happens in all kinds of schools, both public and private. My daughter goes to a private school.

Sorry but I don't think ALL parents will be outraged. If there were enough parents outraged then we would not have a persistent problem with misbehavior, suspension, etc.

I'll re-word for you again.

The majority of parents at a primary school in Australia that had handcuffed a 6 yearold would be outraged.

For police to be called and cuffing a 6 yearold in our school system here, the child would have to be threatening the lives of fellow students/teachers or themselves.

The child certainly wouldn't be cuffed for a brattish tanty.

There is enough backup within the school itself to overcome a six year old throwing a hissy fit. The parents are always called to come and remove their child from the premises if things are getting out of control.

If the parents are unavailablle, the next of kin is contacted. The child will remain in the office or other location until someon comes to collect the child. After a while the child realises their demands aren't met and will have clamed down by the time the parent or whoever comes to get them.

Terms of suspension etc are discussed and an outcome is decided, meeting the criteria of level of behaviour, age appropriate etc

As for public and private, I agree, there is no difference with the behaviour. I have worked at both and across the board it is same.

Edited by HGirl

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The problem in America, is oftentimes there isnt a next of kin-theres so many single mothers out here with absolutly no support. In this case, the child was trying to cause injury, and if she had broken that glass theres a very real chance she could have ended up in the ER. Now Im not saying that the staff couldn't have handled it better, but at the same time I see nothing abusive/wrong about the way they did it. I mean seriously, had they called the hospital, and they showed up and put the child in a straight jacket, it would have been much the same thing if you ask me. Or if you had a couple adults physically hold her, only with that theres the chance she might break free, or injure herself and the adults in the process. Ive been a part of a few tantruums this bad-the kids have absolutly no care about whether they hurt themselves or not, they have one thing on their mind-escape and thats it. Handcuffs or a straight jacket means no escape and even children know that. . .so in all honesty it can shorten the tantruum. Now, typically when i handled children like that typically removing them to a different environment where there was nothing they could hit throw or break, and letting them fight it out till their to tired, and then dealing with whatever started in the first place worked pretty well-change of environment, sometimes change of personnel, usually worked well, if one was patient. In this case, I would think they probably could have handled it similarly, but for whatever reason they didnt they felt it was beyond their capability so they called for help from the only source they new-the police department, who in the face of a situation they likely handnt dealt with before, followed procedure. Their definetly not to blame there. If an investigation were to take place, I think it should be on the parents, and the school itself as to why the police were called-was it bad parenting? was it a medical problem? and in the schools part, were they not trained or equipped to deal with a situation, and if not what needs done to correct the problem in the future?

We have many single parent families as well. Someone usually turns up to collect them, if not, then they wait until the parent does.

In all honesty, peoples behaviour is a reflection of society.

Look at what is being fed to us on a daily basis.

Analyse what is being shown 24/7 on TV and it is obvious that Western societty (millions of kids) feed on violence and overt sexuality. Disrespct/sarcasm in sitcoms is a form of comedy.

This is the daily diet of the West - Bullying is another favourite past time of kids - thanks as well to social networking sites, it has run havoc.

What we sow is what we reap, and boy is it showing up in kids at school.

Edited by HGirl

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Got what she deserved huh? The kid is 6, not 10, not 14, not and adult. Common sense is severly lacking in our world today. Pretty soon when a baby bites someone they are gonna be charged with assault. While I do think the parents should accept some responsibility because it has been reported that she does have these type of outburst at home, she should not have been subjected to looking like a criminal. Once again she is 6, we don't know what issues this little child had. To say she deserved it though is ridiclious. No 6 year old child deserves to be put in handcuffs, and I have seen some bad 6 year olds.

Under the circumstances, yes, she deserved what she got. If it was my kid, well, they would not act that way and if they did, I would let them experience the consequences of their action. You remember what consequences are don't you? A famous preacher says: "You reap what you sow, later than you sow, and more than you sow."

So the consequence of a temper tantrum a 6 is handcuffs. whistling.gif

A tanturm is where you lay down in the floor and kick your feet and scream....... It's not destroying property, throwing shelves around and endangering the well being of the other students, teachers and administration people.... That is criminal activity..... even for a six year old.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

hgirl we can indeed agree on something. A lot of these behaviors, like bullying and fighting, are a normal part of growing up, its human nature. However, in a christian home/environment, fighting and bullying is put in check-if the parents catch it they discipline the child, and they learn to grow out of it. But in todays world, with the media, TV, cartoons, hands off parenting, etc. these behaviors are encouraged, and magnified until it becomes a tremondous problem, and blows up in situations like this. Society does indeed play a big part of in what the kids see, and if kids see it they will copy it, monkey see monkey do. And if they see disrespect, violence, and stuff like that, well guess what theyre gonna copy it. So instead of a "normal tantruum" where a kid gets mad and storms off to their room because they have to eat their green beans before desert, to kicking, screaming, breaking things, and trying to hurt others just because they dont get their own way. Theirs temper tantruums, and then theirs temper tantruums.

Got what she deserved huh? The kid is 6, not 10, not 14, not and adult. Common sense is severly lacking in our world today. Pretty soon when a baby bites someone they are gonna be charged with assault. While I do think the parents should accept some responsibility because it has been reported that she does have these type of outburst at home, she should not have been subjected to looking like a criminal. Once again she is 6, we don't know what issues this little child had. To say she deserved it though is ridiclious. No 6 year old child deserves to be put in handcuffs, and I have seen some bad 6 year olds.

Under the circumstances, yes, she deserved what she got. If it was my kid, well, they would not act that way and if they did, I would let them experience the consequences of their action. You remember what consequences are don't you? A famous preacher says: "You reap what you sow, later than you sow, and more than you sow."

A tanturm is where you lay down in the floor and kick your feet and scream....... It's not destroying property, throwing shelves around and endangering the well being of the other students, teachers and administration people.... That is criminal activity..... even for a six year old.

Then there'd be quite a bit of cuffing going on at school as like I have harped on endlessly, this behaviour is not uncommon. Unfortunately it is the sign of the times.

There's a physical difference when a 15 yearold boy is going rank in a classroom, yes call the cops - it is needed..but a six year old - I think this school could have acted more efficiently. An average six yearold can be subdued unless they are the child of Hulk.

Classes normally have the "usual" suspects and know what triggers a child off and usually an episode can be diverted or kept low key.

Anyway - society will only get worse - the writings on the wall.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,864
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Then there'd be quite a bit of cuffing going on at school as like I have harped on endlessly, this behaviour is not uncommon. Unfortunately it is the sign of the times.

There's a physical difference when a 15 yearold boy is going rank in a classroom, yes call the cops - it is needed..but a six year old - I think this school could have acted more efficiently. An average six yearold can be subdued unless they are the child of Hulk.

Classes normally have the "usual" suspects and know what triggers a child off and usually an episode can be diverted or kept low key.

Anyway - society will only get worse - the writings on the wall.

and if the kid hets hurt while you're trying to subdue him/her you can bet on a law suit that's the norm in this country.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Quite possibly, other one. Wouldn't be surprised if a parent sued.