Fez

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Just as I thought. Generally the way the last generation approached discipline! We have a lot to thank our parents for.

My heart is sore thinking of how with every subsequent generation we slip a bit further.

Wonder what our children's children will consider as discipline?

And what the world will be like....

That is an excellent question! There is no discipline as we knew it. In some places, spanking your child will get you arrested. The government, through the passing of laws, is slowly taking our children from us, one signature at a time. The home was where you learned all your values. Not so today. The values our kids learn are taught in the schools and the streets, unless one is lucky enough to have solid Christian programs their kids can be influenced by.

The future? There are only two choices.

1. And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
    That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
    Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
    Your young men shall see visions,
    Your old men shall dream dreams.
    And on My menservants and on My maidservants
    I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
    And they shall prophesy.

2. But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power.

Guest handtotheplow

Yep, used to get the old military butt whooping and restrictions. All my Grandma had to say was "I'm telling your father" and all my Mom had to say was "I'm telling your father" :blink: - Uh oh.... but when I told the truth... ahead of time... my dad would be my advocate.

I remember getting caught at school with a bottle rocket firework and had a choice of 8 days suspension or 8 swats from the principle. I went home and told my dad everything that happened. :noidea: First, my dad never let any teacher hit his kids (except my 4th grade teacher who I'm pretty sure was a Marine. ) , but I remember this kid coming out in the hall and saying "there’s a man in the principles office yelling at him and it looks like he's about to knock his teeth in". That was my dad...and I ended up getting 3 hard swats with a paddle from my dad in front of the principle. I never really appreciated all of it until after I left home to go to work and get married and realized their disciplining kept me out of the kind of trouble my friends were getting in.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

My dad only spanked me three times that I can remember...... they were not very hard, but they broke my heart.

Mom woud just look at me and cry...... I was crushed beyond all when she gave me that look and the tears would stream out of her eyes and you knew she was so disappointed in you that she couldn't stand it...... that hurt me much more than anything she could have done physically.

Grandma had switches that woud sting like the dickens, but you had to be directly rebellous to get them.

We had more of a Beaver Cleaver family growing up, and I am so thankful for that. My biological father died just before I was born and mom got married again when I was 5...... and my setp dad was one of those special beings that God gives to young people.

BTW Fez, school was not that way.... I got swats al through my first 12 years of schooling.

When we were in the 8th grade, our principle taught the math class, and we had to memoreze multiplecation and division tables and do some serious fraction work on the board. When we missed an answer we got a swat on the rear end. It was not pleasont, but it did cause us to know our tabes up through 12, and by the first week, we all got very good at fractions. I never heard of a single parent that complained.

As I remember when I asked Dad if that was fair, I believe he just asked me if I needed help learning.

We had very strict safety rules in our woodworking shop classes and any violation of those rules got you two extremely hard swats that would bring tears to your eyes, and it was done in front of the whole class as an example. I never experienced this, but saw some tough kids drop a tear or two. The alliterative was to be booted out of class for the year.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Excessively.:thumbsup::whistling: Of course, I most likely deserved it. :emot-handshake::laugh:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

My dad only spanked me three times that I can remember...... they were not very hard, but they broke my heart.

Mom woud just look at me and cry...... I was crushed beyond all when she gave me that look and the tears would stream out of her eyes and you knew she was so disappointed in you that she couldn't stand it...... that hurt me much more than anything she could have done physically.

Grandma had switches that woud sting like the dickens, but you had to be directly rebellous to get them.

We had more of a Beaver Cleaver family growing up, and I am so thankful for that. My biological father died just before I was born and mom got married again when I was 5...... and my setp dad was one of those special beings that God gives to young people.

BTW Fez, school was not that way.... I got swats al through my first 12 years of schooling.

When we were in the 8th grade, our principle taught the math class, and we had to memoreze multiplecation and division tables and do some serious fraction work on the board. When we missed an answer we got a swat on the rear end. It was not pleasont, but it did cause us to know our tabes up through 12, and by the first week, we all got very good at fractions. I never heard of a single parent that complained.

As I remember when I asked Dad if that was fair, I believe he just asked me if I needed help learning.

We had very strict safety rules in our woodworking shop classes and any violation of those rules got you two extremely hard swats that would bring tears to your eyes, and it was done in front of the whole class as an example. I never experienced this, but saw some tough kids drop a tear or two. The alliterative was to be booted out of class for the year.

The principal hit you if you got an answer wrong???? Did you go to school in Japan or something???? That's awful! :o

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.13
  • Days Won:  78

Excessively.:thumbsup::whistling: Of course, I most likely deserved it. :emot-handshake::laugh:

:P So did I.....but I've always been a fast runner!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

The principal hit you if you got an answer wrong???? Did you go to school in Japan or something???? That's awful! :o

I had forgotten about school...

Our principal had a cane. Infractions went from 1 to six and your butt was blue and red for a week. We tried everything. Rabbit fur was the best, but he usually picked up on it with the first dull 'thud" instead of the usual 'whack' :cool: We got it for low marks on tests, talking in class, dropping a water bomb on a teachers head, minor stuff....

I was famous for two sessions of "six of the best". My brother lost count......

With one "brilliant" idea I taped three big firecrackers behind the shelves in the library, attached a slow burning thick fuse of string and left the building. The next class had an exiting study session.... Someone ratted me out :blink:

In another I stole sodium from the science lab and flushed a big chunk down a toilet....

For those of you who don't know, sodium and water don't like each other...

But I turned out Ok I guess....

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

There wasn't a whole lot of discipline around my house. I remember once meeting a belt and possibly a couple run ins with a wooden spoon. For the most part we did what we wanted when we wanted and were left to our own devices.

Gary

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

I got to kneel down on rice....for 3 hours...for doing wrong. Boy, did it hurt. I was raise strict...but, it gave me morals and values . :P

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,875
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

is it...... I certainly learned fractions, and when I went to college I have no trouble doing multiplication in my head LoL And to add crazy to the whole thing...... I really liked that principle (God rest his soul). And he taught us to balance a checkbook and how to do complex interest problems....... all kinds of things to make our lives go smoother. Would we all have done that without the swats????? I doubt it.

btw I went to school in a small community in Central Oklahoma, and my first grade, and fourth grade teacher (who gave us licks with a thin ping pong paddle on the palm of your hand, and our sixth grade teacher that made me write an almost a million word theme for punishment, and our principle in that 8th grade math class were also my various Sunday school teachers....... and I dearly loved them al.....

I had spinal meningitis and missed six weeks of school in the sixth grade or I'd have never made the million word punishment...... but she brought my lessons to my home every day so I wouldn't have to retake the sixth grade.

Swats in the 50's and early 60's were just a way of life in our school, and they were good for you.