• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,065
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

My parents hit us far far too hard, and didn't bother to find out "who did it" before they started swinging. Was not fair!

Fess up, was you every time was it not. Stop whining :laugh:

yep... :secret-talk: ... that so WOW...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Got hit in school more than home. Can't say it helped much. Had a teacher say anytime your home work is not done you get hit, so some friends of mine and I decided to have a contest to see who could not do their homework the longest. We all quit after a few days. No one won, she was serious.

Dad made a big production out of it, saws, drill, hammer in the basement and one last chance to tell the truth then smack with the board. Finally one day as I waited in my room listening to the weapon being created I couldn't take it any longer and flew down the steps grabbing my dads leg as I fell to the floor and confessed promising I would never do anything again. He put down the board and I never remember getting hit again.

Not that I didn't deserve it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I was beat, no love in that house. My mom still doesn't know how to show love - she never saw it. Thank GOD we went to church!

:(

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

Hmmm.... only one who spanked in our house was Mom. Never had that, "Just wait until I tell your father!" issue. Mama ruled the roost, so to speak. But then that may have something to do with a story one of my sisters told me about an incident when I was a baby. Toddler age, maybe. I certainly can't remember it. Anyway, my sisters were 13 & 15 years older than me. I was told that for whatever reason, I was in my crib (that's how young I was) crying a lot. Not sure if I was teething or had colic or what, but I guess I just wouldn't stop. Daddy got sick of it and decided to "give me a reason to cry." Not sure how hard he spanked me, but it was enough to freak my sister out so that she picked me up and took me to her room and kept me there until Mama got home. From what my sister said, Mama laid down the law to Daddy that day. Told him that if he ever put a hand on me again she'd kill him - or something along those lines. So, looking back, I can say that I never got any kind of spanking from my father. Didn't get many from Mama either, because seeing the disappointment in her eyes was enough to dang near kill me. Just broke my heart to let her down.

As for school, I started my discipline issues early. In kindergarten, our teacher had this system where she put little paper "Snoopy" dogs on the wall with our names on them and a red piece of yarn for a tail. Every time we did something wrong, we got a knot in the tail. Five knots got us a paddling. I don't actually remember the spankings, but I remember the knots in that red yarn. I also remember my Mama telling the story of how I got the knots and what the teacher said about them. Apparently, I was a profoundly happy child, laughing and smiling all the time. Unfortunately, my laughter and happiness was infectious so that I tended to get all the other kids involved, which then disrupted class. The teacher said it just broke her heart to have to discipline me for it, but she was trying to keep order. LOL

After my wild kindergarten days, I got myself in shape and didn't have any other issues until sixth or seventh grade. And in all fairness, the teacher involved was having a really bad day and pretty much took it out on the whole class. I think twenty or so of the thirty of us wound up out in the hallway getting a swat on the rear. See, she was assigning topics for a report we were going to have to do. It was science class. My best friend and I were sitting there, waiting for her to call our names and give us out assignments. My best friend leans over and points at the poster of Albert Einstein on the wall - wild hair and goofy look on his face - and whispers that with her luck, she'll get him. I swear she'd barely finished saying that when the teacher said her name and assigned her Einstein as a topic. We just couldn't help ourselves. We both busted out laughing. Got our names added to the growing list on the chalk board. Back in those days, another teacher had to "witness" the spanking and I'll never forget the look on the other teacher's face while we were out there waiting our turn. You'd have to know him to appreciate it, but suffice it to say that we loved him dearly and he was a good man with a mostly bald head and freckles that went absolutely ballistic when he got mad. Irish blood and temper. Man, he was awesome. Wound up having him for four different classes throughout middle and high school. We joked that he loved us so much that he just kept following us as we moved up each grade. Anyway, he looked like it was taking everything he had not to laugh at us. Because most of us, especially myself and my best friend, were not remotely troublemakers. We were good kids who made good grades. Anyway, I do remember being scared to death of what my mother would do when she found out. And not telling her was absolutely not an option. She worked down in the elementary school which was all part of the same building. So I was scared out of my head to go home that afternoon, figuring she'd give me another swat, or at least a speech, which would have been just as bad to me. But she didn't. She just laughed it off. I guess my other teacher had probably told her the situation. She didn't give me any grief over it at all. And that was the last time I can remember getting any spanking. Last time I got in any real trouble. Gosh, I was such a good girl! :laugh:

On a more serious note, it really is sad how things seem to be heading. Too many parents out there trying to be best friend with their kids or - and I still feel stunned that I actually heard this come out of one of my sisters' mouths - letting their kids dress and act like any number of things because they're letting them "explore their individuality." This came from my sister when I flat out laughed in the face of my nephew after he came in the door from school one afternoon with a dog collar around his neck and hair that was shaved in the back, down past his ears on top, and dyed pitch black. In her defense, he did turn out okay. He's married now and a productive member of society. No more dog collars and absurd hair. Still, at the time I was speechless. Mostly, I'm kind of sick of seeing kids running roughshod over their parents, teachers and every other authority figure in their lives. Makes me want to smack them myself. Especially when they start mouthing off in blatant disrespect. I guarantee that would not have washed in my house. My mother would pop a sassy kid right in the mouth. Not hard, but enough to shock them. She absolutely would not abide backtalk. I suppose that's why I don't have a tolerance for it, either.

Oh, and as to the running away thing some others have mentioned. I never tried it, but one of my sisters did. They were outside and I don't know what she'd done, but Mama was mad and intended to paddle her rear. She took off around the house and Mama, being the amazingly brilliant woman she was, just stood there and waited for my sister to come back around. My sister says it was the worst spanking she ever got. She obviously was not the good girl I was. :taped::21:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Not ENOUGH, they didn't.................

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I can only recall once in school on the hand and was terrified that my parents would find out. Have blocked the reason for this to this day.

At home it was as was previously mentioned, 'the look'. I kept my eye on Mom because if I saw her looking at me I knew I was close to 'getting it' when I got home, but do not recall ever getting it as a result.

I did 'get it' for breaking a mantle clock that I did not do. Parents' friend admitted to it but I did not find out about it until 40 yrs. later.

The threat of punishment was always enough for me. The snap of a double razor strap by my parents was enough of a warning for me and their grandkids.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/20/1946

I was beat, no love in that house. My mom still doesn't know how to show love - she never saw it. Thank GOD we went to church!

:(

That is sad. She probably wasn't shown love either and didn't know how to show you love.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Oh yep. I remember being whupped on my rear end MANY MANY times. Papa was the kind that you knew NOT to sass back. I suspect I was "Daddy's Girl". My stepmom would kind of half-complain that I had him wrapped around my finger. Hehehe. Though, I was a sassy girl- too clever for my own good. I had more run-ins with my stepmom. We didn't get along for years and that kind of broke his heart. (btw, we do get along most of the time now) My mom didn't discipline me much when I was very young so my father and my stepmom used to say they had to work hard to "straighten" me out.

I was also made to kneel. We used to live in a rented house that had real wooden floors. When my stepmom punished me, she'd tell me to kneel until I apologized or until she said for me to get up. But the reason I usually ended up kneeling for a long time was due to my stubborness. I refused to give anyone satisfication until I was tired of kneeling.

My twin brothers on the other hand.... whenever Papa went to get his belt in the other room, they started bawling like crazy! I remember saying to them, "why are you crying for? He hasn't spanked you yet!" I think they didn't catch on when Papa got irritated, they'd just keep doing it until he'd say, "Alright, That's it!". One day, one of my brothers cussed at Papa. He was in shock. And sure enough, my brother learned NOT to ever cuss him back.

I remember I said a bad word when I was middle-school age and my parents made me wash my mouth with soap. I didn't even know it was a bad word. I had picked it up from kids at school. I learned real fast not to say bad language around them.

Funny- people thought I was such a sweet girl. One lady at my previous church years ago told Papa that "she's such a sweet girl!". Papa said... "You meant my daughter, right?" I was standing right there while they were talking. LOL. I did have a good laugh at that one.

Hey, they weren't perfect but I don't begrudge them any of it now. Considering Papa came from an abusive home (one of 7 kids) he was way more lenient with me.

Edited by Cajunluvie

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I didn't receive many...but I got some.

I grew up in the day where not only my mom would whip me...but my aunts and uncles and a few neighbors. I'm thankful for them because they kept me grounded. Never ever thought them as beatings....even through my grand ma would say...you keep doing that...and I'm going to beat the devil out of you!! I knew to stop...

My mom also had two looks that spoke volumes... one was... "if you don't stop" and the other was... "you are going to get it." Sometimes, we thought she had forgotten..but just as we settler into bed...she would come in...switch drawn...and say...you thought I forgot..huh? We had a weeping willow tree in our backyard...so to add insult...my mom would have us to go to that tree and pick out the switch...we knew better...not to bring the wrong one.

I raised my three in the same way...as they are raising their. Times has changed where they can't whip on school property now..but my grandson...who just turned 15 got a rude awaking...while in grade school..he wanted to be king of causing trouble in class. His mom checked him out...took him home and torn his behind up...we've never had a problem since.

I'm sorry for those who may have had parents that "really" beat them. I had an grade school classmate that was whipped with an electric cord...her skin was broken...there were no laws to protect her as now. I'm eternally grateful that she turned out to be a great mother and wife...God is so good!!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

My mom would switch us for most anything and then later tell Dad who then gave us the belt so we usually got two for one wrong. went to school a million

time with rwd welts on legs and or back.