• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

My mom used to grab a sandal and come a chasing me around the house when I utterly frustrated her with something I had done or kept doing. I am talking about when I was older as in somewhere around 9 or 10.

At least I have vague recollections of such.

Though...I don't ever recall her actually hitting me outright with such as she never really caught me. She may have taken a swing and swiped me partially with the sandal as I ducked out of the way though.

When I was real little I used to throw my mom's shoes in the toilet LOL.

My dad occasionally took off his belt and spanked me in the butt but that was extremely rare as all us kids wanted to avoid that at all costs.

The one thing I will say is that neither of them really did these things in Christian love. Neither were Christians and as such neither knew what real love was or walked in it.

I would say that is true of EVERY unbelieving parent. We can talk all we want of them spanking us in "love" but I don't believe there is any such thing from the hand of an unbeliever.

They did the best they knew how but it wasn't real love in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't end up some terribly twisted and tormented person as a result of my mom chasing me with a sandal and my dad belting me once in a great while. I am actually glad they did that as it kept me on the straight and narrow - more or less.

It just wasn't love is all I am saying.

Carlos

Not entirely true Carlos! The part that what your Dad did with the belt taught you of terrible consequence in punishment...

God says this about what your Dad did

Pr 13:24

24 He who spares his rod hates his son,

But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

NKJV

what your dad was testifying to you was-> you did not want ultimate punishment from Him!

It was love as best he knew and he did give it to you!

Love, Steven

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  74
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, and it was horrible because it was always done in the heat of emotion. We rarely received disciple where the punishment fit the crime. Instead, we were "spanked" with tree switches or paddles or bread boards. The problem with this kind of discipline is that kids rarely learn from it. I mean, we weren't spanked once and then never did anything bad again. However, one time I was grounded for two weeks -- that got my attention and I never did anything to warrant that again.

We don't use physical punishment for adults, so why do we use it for children? I don't believe the current generation is in trouble because we don't spank them -- I believe they are in trouble because parents make their lives too easy -- they give them everything they want and they don't teach them responsibility or what it means to have to earn (or work) for what you have.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes, and it was horrible because it was always done in the heat of emotion. We rarely received disciple where the punishment fit the crime. Instead, we were "spanked" with tree switches or paddles or bread boards. The problem with this kind of discipline is that kids rarely learn from it. I mean, we weren't spanked once and then never did anything bad again. However, one time I was grounded for two weeks -- that got my attention and I never did anything to warrant that again.

We don't use physical punishment for adults, so why do we use it for children?because the wisdom of God is greater than the wisdom of man I don't believe the current generation is in trouble because we don't spank them -- I believe they are in trouble because parents make their lives too easy -- they give them everything they want and they don't teach them responsibility or what it means to have to earn (or work) for what you have.

when a person places their opinion over that of God's guess who God's children will listen to?

Guess who will listen to your opinion? Now when God sets hell and Heaven in their places what opinion will be in place?

Pr 13:24

24 He who spares his rod hates his son,

But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

NKJV

Therefore he who does not use the rod hates their children... Love, Steven