• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Not in an abusive way.

I am asking (because of another thread I saw). Did they use a hand, belt, wooden spoon, etc, to discipline you (with love).

Mine did, but only in extreme situations where they had spoken innumerable times, and then it was controlled and short lived. And forgotten afterward.

Usually the precursor would be "go to you room", but when that did not work...........

My parents loved us, and we loved them until the day they both died. Seemed to work for our family.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Oh yes! Mom only needed 3 things to keep us kids in line. A switch, a bar of soap and "that look". That kind of look that can stop you instantly no matter what your doing. I didn't get many switchings, but boy did I get that bar of soap more times than I could count. :whistling:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/20/1946

Not in an abusive way.

I am asking (because of another thread I saw). Did they use a hand, belt, wooden spoon, etc, to discipline you (with love).

Mine did, but only in extreme situations where they had spoken innumerable times, and then it was controlled and short lived. And forgotten afterward.

Usually the precursor would be "go to you room", but when that did not work...........

My parents loved us, and we loved them until the day they both died. Seemed to work for our family.

My father told us one time to do something, the second time we wished we had. He never beat us, but he did use the belt and we got more that three swats. My mother used a keen switch to our legs. mine in particular. We were loved and knew it and our spankings were deserved because we did not obey, not because they were angry. As the only girl with four brothers, I probably needed more than I got. However, my parents never failed to show their love with a hug or a kiss. I am 66 years old and I can remember as a big 18 year old girl sitting on my Daddy's lap and crying out my heartaches. He would rock me and encourage me. Thank God, they raised us in church.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Not in an abusive way.

My parents did use all of the above. My grandmother even hung a large wooden spoon on her kitchen wall just as a reminder of who was in control in her home.

Usually grounding or loss of privileges came first. Spankings were a last resort.

I was beat, no love in that house. My mom still doesn't know how to show love - she never saw it. Thank GOD we went to church!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,870
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My dad only spanked me three times that I can remember...... they were not very hard, but they broke my heart.

Mom woud just look at me and cry...... I was crushed beyond all when she gave me that look and the tears would stream out of her eyes and you knew she was so disappointed in you that she couldn't stand it...... that hurt me much more than anything she could have done physically.

Grandma had switches that woud sting like the dickens, but you had to be directly rebellous to get them.

We had more of a Beaver Cleaver family growing up, and I am so thankful for that. My biological father died just before I was born and mom got married again when I was 5...... and my setp dad was one of those special beings that God gives to young people.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  907
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1866

All the above,and I needed everyone of them. I also raised my 2 boys the same way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes, My dad with his leather belt when we were disobedient.

But he always held us afterward and prayed with us about it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Just as I thought. Generally the way the last generation approached discipline! We have a lot to thank our parents for.

My heart is sore thinking of how with every subsequent generation we slip a bit further.

Wonder what our children's children will consider as discipline?

And what the world will be like....

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Just as I thought. Generally the way the last generation approached discipline! We have a lot to thank our parents for.

My heart is sore thinking of how with every subsequent generation we slip a bit further.

Wonder what our children's children will consider as discipline?

And what the world will be like....

My mom made us get our own switches off the peach tree when she needed to spank us but she also would spank us with her hand and wooden spoon. My dad was abusive but he used a belt or whatever was handy, the sound of a belt coming out the belt loops still brings back memories.

You have hit one of the problems on the head, parents these days or the vast majority of what I see in stores and elsewhere just shows that discipline and all that entails is lost today. Either we see parents literally losing their cool and beating the kids, total lack of any discipline cuz parents need to be their childrens buddies or friends, or complete lack of indifference and kids are raising themselves. It is scary to think about!

shalom,

Mizz