• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

I can only remember one time when I was actually hit, and even then I don't remember it particularly well so I don't think it was a hard hit or anything. In general, I have always been pretty good - and that isn't just me saying it, believe it or not, my parents have said numerous times that all of their children were good most of the time.

I never experienced anything at school as by the time I was in school, teachers weren't allowed to physically discipline. Maybe that is a bad thing, though the people I know of my parent's generation who were punished with the cane etc at school all received the punishment more than once, so perhaps it wasn't as effective as people sometimes like to make out. I do agree, though, that something needs to be done these days. I can remember in one of my English classes there was a couple of guys who would always mess around and the teacher would always threaten to send them out of the classroom but never did and they knew she wouldn't, so they kept on disrupting the lesson. As with a toddler, if they know the threat is empty, they will keep on pushing. Lucky for me it wasn't a class I was weaker at or it could have had a worse effect on me.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

we got spanked til we cried then spanked for crying then spanked til we could not cry then spanked for not crying

Ok then then! Can we call ya spanky :red_smile: Love, Steven

If you like it wont offend me. I can remember many times being spanked ( switched. and/or belt )8 to 10 tmes a day, no joke.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

we got spanked til we cried then spanked for crying then spanked til we could not cry then spanked for not crying

If you like it wont offend me. I can remember many times being spanked ( switched. and/or belt )8 to 10 tmes a day, no joke.

I thought Christ might have healed the scars of this... sorry I meant no harm by making light of what is still a grief in your heart! Please forgive me brother of mine! Love, Steven

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

I thought Christ might have healed the scars of this... sorry I meant no harm by making light of what is still a grief in your heart! Please forgive me brother of mine! Love, Steven

I took no offence in your comment. Spanking was just one of many punishments I recieved as a child and

it was not the worst and does not bother me as some of the others do.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

No. My parents were very smart and resourceful people, who were able to convey their rules and the consequences of breaking them without the need of any form of corporal punishment. They were also very attentive - my mother was a homemaker and our father worked at least 2 jobs most times. He used example to teach us the right and wrong way to do things. We used to get 'looks'. Nobody wanted to get 'the look'. We had chores, curfews and were expected to work as hard as possible in school and with extracurricular activities like music and sports. We watched very little t.v. and when we did - it was a family show that was watched by the entire family who wished - from grandparents to the the youngest child (me). They did not disdain how others raised their children - they simply found it more effective to talk with us; explain why things were the way they were and what the consequences would be for infraction. There were 5 of us - we received college educations; and when the oldest was out of college and had a job - they helped (along with my folks) the next kid in line. My parents raised a registered nurse, an architect, a minister, a soldier and a systems analyst with government. I don't think any of us spanked, hit or yelled at our children... it would have been bizarre behavior compared to how we were treated.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

No. My parents were very smart and resourceful people, who were able to convey their rules and the consequences of breaking them without the need of any form of corporal punishment. They were also very attentive - my mother was a homemaker and our father worked at least 2 jobs most times. He used example to teach us the right and wrong way to do things. We used to get 'looks'. Nobody wanted to get 'the look'. We had chores, curfews and were expected to work as hard as possible in school and with extracurricular activities like music and sports. We watched very little t.v. and when we did - it was a family show that was watched by the entire family who wished - from grandparents to the the youngest child (me). They did not disdain how others raised their children - they simply found it more effective to talk with us; explain why things were the way they were and what the consequences would be for infraction. There were 5 of us - we received college educations; and when the oldest was out of college and had a job - they helped (along with my folks) the next kid in line. My parents raised a registered nurse, an architect, a minister, a soldier and a systems analyst with government. I don't think any of us spanked, hit or yelled at our children... it would have been bizarre behavior compared to how we were treated.

Pr 13:24

24 He who spares his rod hates his son,

But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

NKJV

Pr 3:12

12 For whom the Lord loves He corrects,

Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

NKJV

Heb 12:6

6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,

And scourges every son whom He receives."

NKJV

Love, Steven

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Pr 13:24

24 He who spares his rod hates his son,

But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

NKJV

Pr 3:12

12 For whom the Lord loves He corrects,

Just as a father the son in whom he delights.

NKJV

Heb 12:6

6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,

And scourges every son whom He receives."

NKJV

Love, Steven

Yes, Steven - I have read these passages as well - a number of times. That said, we were not beaten, spanked, whipped, etc. and grew up to be loving Christians. So are you saying they should have spanked us instead of the methods they used? I'm not quite understanding why you are posting these passages that most of us have read. My grandmother had a wonderful Jewish friend who used to repeat the Yiddish adage "If you must beat a child, use a piece of string".

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Sometimes I think people believe that spanking is the first resort of correction in a believers life. Maybe they don't understand God's longsuffering and all of the methods of correction he employed with his people before he spanked them.

Gary

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  18

Not in an abusive way.

I am asking (because of another thread I saw). Did they use a hand, belt, wooden spoon, etc, to discipline you (with love).

Mine did, but only in extreme situations where they had spoken innumerable times, and then it was controlled and short lived. And forgotten afterward.

Usually the precursor would be "go to you room", but when that did not work...........

My parents loved us, and we loved them until the day they both died. Seemed to work for our family.

Used to get horse-whipped at home by my father.

Beaten with the cane at school...there was a certain pride in showing your chums your rear end afterwards

so they could 'oooh' and 'aaahhh' at the bright red weals, and then you could relive the story of how you

came to get those marks and why it wasn't fair etc etc...it gave you a bit of kudos.

The worse part was anticipating a beating, and we had one head-master who was an ex Indian police

commander, and he delighted in inflicting mental anguish by telling you he was going to beat you, and

to wait outside his study...sometimes he took several hours to turn up, and listening out for those rubber-soled

shoes squeaking down the dimly lit oak-panelled corridor and imagining the inevitable pain was to me an

evil sort of thing to do to a kid.

Had loads of resentment/hatred and relived in my mind many times what I would like to do to him..not pretty.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

My mom used to grab a sandal and come a chasing me around the house when I utterly frustrated her with something I had done or kept doing. I am talking about when I was older as in somewhere around 9 or 10.

At least I have vague recollections of such.

Though...I don't ever recall her actually hitting me outright with such as she never really caught me. She may have taken a swing and swiped me partially with the sandal as I ducked out of the way though.

When I was real little I used to throw my mom's shoes in the toilet LOL.

My dad occasionally took off his belt and spanked me in the butt but that was extremely rare as all us kids wanted to avoid that at all costs.

The one thing I will say is that neither of them really did these things in Christian love. Neither were Christians and as such neither knew what real love was or walked in it.

I would say that is true of EVERY unbelieving parent. We can talk all we want of them spanking us in "love" but I don't believe there is any such thing from the hand of an unbeliever.

They did the best they knew how but it wasn't real love in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't end up some terribly twisted and tormented person as a result of my mom chasing me with a sandal and my dad belting me once in a great while. I am actually glad they did that as it kept me on the straight and narrow - more or less.

It just wasn't love is all I am saying.

Carlos