IGNORED

"Horse Diving" Now Illegal in Phoenix?

The Phoenix City Council on Wednesday approved a ban on horse diving, the act of having a horse dive into a pool of water from dozens of feet in the air.

Phoenix City Councilwoman Thelda Williams brought the issue to the council, saying she wanted to be proactive to ban horse-diving efforts in the city.

In 2008, Williams successfully convinced fellow council members to ban horse tripping, the practice of roping or tripping equines for the purpose of entertainment. The council's vote Wednesday amends the horse-tripping ordinance to include the ban on horse diving. A first offense would carry a fine of $1,000.

Williams hasn't heard of any recent horse-diving attempts, but she said she came across e-mails in December suggesting an effort may be planned.

A recent attempt to revive equine diving at the famed Atlantic City Steel Pier, where it was popular from the 1920s to '70s, was squashed after protests from animal-rights groups.

City Council Passes Horse Diving Ban

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hmm, interesting.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Frankly, I think a horse in a polka dot bikini or speedo would just look plain silly..... :cool:

Frankly, I think a horse in a polka dot bikini or speedo would just look plain silly..... :cool:

:24:

But I'll bet he/she would be on the evening TV News . . . :whistling:

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

There is a much bigger picture than what the news gave you. Animal abuse takes on many forms all in the name of entertainment. Fighting it and ending certain forms of entertainment at animals expense can not be done if one group is allowed and not another.

Walla, I don’t know if your aware of it but the charreada is the national sport of Mexico and it has moved into the u.s. one of their favorite events is forcing horses to run at top speed so someone on another horse can rope either the front legs or back legs causing the horse to trip and fall. They find this cruel and barbaric treatment “entertaining” A few horses escape without injury, but many of them end up with broken bones, lacerations, dislocated backs or shoulders, broken necks, broken teeth, etc. . . Often these horse never receive veterinary care for the injuries sustained.

Animal welfare groups need the help from city and state laws to put a squash on events like this. People who enjoy cruel animal entertainment will use whatever excuse they can find to keep their activity going even if that excuse is in another state. They cry discrimination if another group is allowed to have an activity that the public even remotely considers cruel. They also point to the fact that in the absence of certain anti cruelty laws that in comparison, X-activity is should be allowed.

By having the ban in place even though horse diving is not occurring in your area they are able to put an end to the excuses for the cruel practices plus prevent a new one from moving in. You need to understand what horse diving is and how it is employed. It is a “daredevil” stunt that involves a horse and rider jumping from a height of 40 to 60 feet up in the air and plunging into a tank of water. Animal welfare groups are saying that unscrupulous tactics are being used on horses that refuse to jump. All in the name of entertainment.

Horse diving was a popular show before ww2, and waned over the years and finally ending in the 1990's If horse diving had been reintroduced in Atlanta; what was to prevent copy cats from branching out and taking it to other states? The city council is being pro active in staying ahead of and preventing such events from taking root in your area. That is the reason for the ban.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

horse diving, whats weird here isnt necessarily the rule, but what whacko thought it up in the first place, I mean serious? Horse diving? whats wrong with people. Horses are for riding and playing cowboy, and pickin up girls (well, ok Im already married to a wonderful girl, but if I had a horse, I would definetly pick her up with it)

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

horse diving, whats weird here isnt necessarily the rule, but what whacko thought it up in the first place, I mean serious? Horse diving? whats wrong with people. Horses are for riding and playing cowboy, and pickin up girls (well, ok Im already married to a wonderful girl, but if I had a horse, I would definetly pick her up with it)

The man who came up with the idea for the stunt, was William "Doc" Carver in the late 1800's. The idea came from a situation in which he was crossing a bridge that partially collapsed and the horse according to him dove off into the water below. He then trained various horses for the stunt and the touring show began in 1894.

After his death, his son signed a contract with the Atlantic City's Steel Pier. It became a fixture of the pier till the closing of the pier in the 1970's. If you are interested, there is a movie about the diving horses. It is titled “Wild hearts can’t be broken” (1991)

oops, wanted to ad a pic for you

divinghorses3.jpg

Edited by little brown church