rejoicevermore

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I have read all 6 of the Harry Potter books. They are well written and have a fascinating story line. That being said, I told my daughter she couldn't read them until she was alot more mature and well grounded in Christ. I told her this before I came to the two most hidious chapters ofthe entire series, which is toward the end of book 4 when Voldemort rose again. After reading that, I told her she is never to read the Harry Potter books, and this is the reason why; I want her mind set on whatsoever is pure, lovely, and good. I do not want her dwelling on things that are dark. I have been through alot of darkness in my life, and I do not want either of my children to feel drawn to it.

You've read all 6, but found something so disturbing in number 4 you told your child she can never read the books? Sounds like the perfect way to make sure she reads every one of them. The old "do as I say, not as I do" thing doesn't work with most kids. It never worked with me, and it didn't work with my kids, or anybody else that I ever saw, as a matter of fact its almost a perfect recipe for disaster. Children learn from example, and their own hard knocks, not somebody elses.

True, but the books were never in my house. I don't even own them. How could she me read them?

Well she could always go to the library, borrow them from a friend, find them online, buy them in the book store, or she can find the movies and watch those.

Anyway, lets say we get our children together and we tell them "These movies are all bad, these TV shows are all bad, these books are all bad, this music is all bad and these clothes are all bad. The people your children looks up to (whoever America's top pop star might be at the time) are now all worshiping Satan according to you. Doesn't that make Satan look pretty good to a child? Hey everyone else is watching those movies, watching those TV shows, reading those books, wearing those clothes and listening to that music, so Satan can't be all that bad, right?

Don't believe for a second that I think Satan is a swell guy. I don't, what I'm saying is you're all giving Satan credit he doesn't deserve, and you're making him look really good to a child. I don't believe for a second Satan had a hand in Harry Potter, Yu Gi Oh!, most shows on TV, most music or most clothing, but you're keeping your children away for this fear that he might and he'll steal them away if they get into that stuff.

Can't you at least compromise a little? Explain to your child that Harry Potter isn't real (although your child should know this, and if your child doesn't know this by the age they can read Harry Potter, perhaps you should look into that?) Explain that in real life people who practice witchcraft can't do any of the things Harry Potter can do, and they go to hell for worshiping Satan. It's much better than telling them "Well Satan made that so you can't do it" because eventually their idea of Satan is going to be much more friendly than what he really is (hey, he can't be too bad if he created all of their favorite stuff.)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Bob, it has more to do with being drawn to spiritual darkness than it does with children literally thinking they can do the things Harry and his friends do. Many people probably do not understand this, and if you are one of them, good for you, but you do not always know what emotions and desires lurk inside your children, so just be careful.

I know what desires and emotions were inside of me while I was a child. I watched all kinds of movies with witches and I never had any desire to be a witch. I knew what I was watching wasn't real. I've read all kinds of fantasy stories and still, no desires to worship satan. For a child to go on to a path where they start to practice dark arts they'd have to find something like the satanic bible, or they'd have to go into a shop for occult items. I know where I'd go if I wanted to do this stuff, I live in NYC there are occult shops around. Reading Harry Potter will not tell me where to find one of these shops, it won't tell me how to build an altar, it won't tell me how to worship satan, it won't tell me anything about witchcraft except in the world of the book, which has a completely different type of witchcraft than the type we're talking about in the real world.

Also, you don't seem to acknowledge that you are giving too much credit to satan. If children think satan is responsible for most of the clothes they like, the TV shows and movies they want to watch, the books they want to read, the games they want to play, and the music they want to listen to, then they're not going to think too low of satan.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Why do so many people remind me of the "Waterboy's" mom?

I know what desires and emotions were inside of me while I was a child. I watched all kinds of movies with witches and I never had any desire to be a witch. I knew what I was watching wasn't real. I've read all kinds of fantasy stories and still, no desires to worship satan.

Good for you. I'm glad you don't understand. Somehow, I think if my daughter was given half a chance, she might have some inkling of understanding.

BTW, I didn't mention Satan. You did.

;) Sorry, never watched the movie.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Bob, it has more to do with being drawn to spiritual darkness than it does with children literally thinking they can do the things Harry and his friends do. Many people probably do not understand this, and if you are one of them, good for you, but you do not always know what emotions and desires lurk inside your children, so just be careful.

...Which is why parents need to learn to parent, instead of letting the world do it for them.

When my eldest child was in 3rd grace she picked up a book from the school library that told a story of a young girl who went sleep and dreampt of skeletons, spiders and death. I took the book to the school principal and showed it to her. She agreed with me that it was not appropriate for my daughter's age group, and she had it removed from the library.

If parents don't take an active role in their children's lives then they shouldn't complain when their children follow the world.

:wub::whistling::noidea: Thank you, I needed that :-)

I know what desires and emotions were inside of me while I was a child. I watched all kinds of movies with witches and I never had any desire to be a witch. I knew what I was watching wasn't real. I've read all kinds of fantasy stories and still, no desires to worship satan.

Good for you. I'm glad you don't understand. Somehow, I think if my daughter was given half a chance, she might have some inkling of understanding.

I'm glad you explained what it was I don't understand so that I may understand it.

Isn't satan the head of all that is wicked? So when you turn to the dark arts or anything evil, satan is involved.

...Which is why parents need to learn to parent, instead of letting the world do it for them.

When my eldest child was in 3rd grace she picked up a book from the school library that told a story of a young girl who went sleep and dreampt of skeletons, spiders and death. I took the book to the school principal and showed it to her. She agreed with me that it was not appropriate for my daughter's age group, and she had it removed from the library.

If parents don't take an active role in their children's lives then they shouldn't complain when their children follow the world.

Ok, so instead of telling your daughter she shouldn't read the book, or explaining these things to your daughter, you played the part of the world's parent and had the book removed from the school. Any child that has ever been let outside for the month of october knows what a skeleton or a spider looks like and they'll probably understand death too. I think a child that age would also understand a nightmare and has probably had a good amount of them already. I'm not bothered that you don't let your own daughter read the book, that's your choice, you're her parent, but don't have a book removed from the school's library because you don't think your daughter should have read it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Ok, so instead of telling your daughter she shouldn't read the book, or explaining these things to your daughter, you played the part of the world's parent and had the book removed from the school. Any child that has ever been let outside for the month of october knows what a skeleton or a spider looks like and they'll probably understand death too. I think a child that age would also understand a nightmare and has probably had a good amount of them already. I'm not bothered that you don't let your own daughter read the book, that's your choice, you're her parent, but don't have a book removed from the school's library because you don't think your daughter should have read it.

No, actually, I read the book to my daughter before I decided to take the issue to the principal of the school. But before I did, I explained to her in the best way possible (to a 7-year-old) why the book was bad.

Remember that old expression about assumptions?

I'm glad you explained what it was I don't understand so that I may understand it.

Isn't satan the head of all that is wicked? So when you turn to the dark arts or anything evil, satan is involved.