• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Is there any substantial evidence today that cartoons have ever caused children to want to bash their peers over their heads with large mallets?

Is there any substantial evidence that young people who read books go out and attempt to find an island shaped like a skull in order to find buried treasure, to find a rare wardrobe in which they can enter a world of talking animals, to cut themselves to shreds attempting to go "through the looking glass," or to walk into a pillar at the train station in order to board a fantasy train bound for a school of wizardry?

I'm still waiting for the evidence that a fictional story causes young people to engage in devilish activity. In terms of what does and what does not affect the behavior of our youth, why do Christians focus so much on things like Harry Potter and not so much on mental and physical abuse of children, drugs, gangs, etc.? These things have serious proven effects on our children.

Guest jckduboise
Is there any substantial evidence today that cartoons have ever caused children to want to bash their peers over their heads with large mallets?

Is there any substantial evidence that young people who read books go out and attempt to find an island shaped like a skull in order to find buried treasure, to find a rare wardrobe in which they can enter a world of talking animals, to cut themselves to shreds attempting to go "through the looking glass," or to walk into a pillar at the train station in order to board a fantasy train bound for a school of wizardry?

I'm still waiting for the evidence that a fictional story causes young people to engage in devilish activity. In terms of what does and what does not affect the behavior of our youth, why do Christians focus so much on things like Harry Potter and not so much on mental and physical abuse of children, drugs, gangs, etc.? These things have serious proven effects on our children.

Well I do focus on many things including those you mentioned. And no I have never seen anything regarding what you have said.

Have you seen where Paul says "don't give satan a stronghold"? Have you seen where John is in Revelation9:20-21 The rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshing demons and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood-idols that cannot see or hear or walk. 21 Nor did they repent of their murder, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I am not one who believes that our salvatiuon can be sacrificed by these kinds of distractions. I do believe that there is a dispensational punishment for those who have willingly fallen away, however.

That being said, I don;t want to get into a OSAS debate here. I think that it is sufficient to say that, in terms of what we take in day by day, we should be watchful. But Christians have historically taken certain things and have blown them way out of proportion, and that is neither helathy to the faith, nor is it profitable for the Lord's testimony. Consider the fact that, at one time in our history moving pictures may have been considered a tool of Satan, and medicines were considered sorcery.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I am sorry there is no persuasion in your words at all..there is no scriptural backing for your belief but their are for mine.

If you want to know the truth read what is detestable to the Lord in Revelations 9:20-22 and Rev 18 the whole thing.

God does not like magic, witchcraft, wizardry, asrtology and anything that hints to a world of black arts. It is worship of satan and idolatry and that is the bottom line.

God will spit out those who are lukewarm. Please take a closer look at your reasoning and where you are getting the garbage you spoke of. It is not of GOD. It is dark, God is light....Satan is dark, God and satan are enemies.

My friend you are messing in a relm that could destroy you. What seems innocent and okay in the eyes of man and in his opinion is not how God views it. Very dangerous ground.

I know I know, it is just a movie, it was made by someone with imagination, my question is who's imagination was it? And by the way, I never said I did not like the person who wrote the books, I said I do not like magic and what it represents, satan.

There are books out that you can read that give a very vivid explanation of what Spiritual Warfare is about. I recommend you look into them. They may be able to help you with this, more than I can.

Good day :o

Revelations 9:20-21

And the rest of the men, who were not slain by these plagues, did not do penance from the works of their hands, that they should not adore devils and idols of gold and silver and brass and stone and wood, which neither can see nor hear nor walk: Neither did they penance from their murders nor from their sorceries nor from their fornication nor from their thefts.

Ok so, devil worshipers and false idolaters are sinners. I agree. Now, where in this section does it say "Reading a work of fiction that contains any kind of witchcraft is devil worshiping"? There will be no scripture about reading fiction because at the time the bible was written it wasn't common at all. It took years for a book to get written or copied, it wasn't until after the printing press that fiction became so popular. Plus, those books all seem to argue exactly the same thing "Look, the bible says practicing witchcraft is bad, this book contains witchcraft therefore it's bad" Well that also includes, Lord of the Rings (although that one is also written about often), The Wizard of Oz, Macbeth, The Once and Future King (The Sword and the Stone and 3 other books in one).

Please, just show me one line in the bible that says it's wrong to READ these books (and I emphasize read because I've seen some that tell me practicing witchcraft is wrong, but nothing about reading about it in a completely fictional story.) Also, please note I can not provide you wirh one line in the bible about how reading these books is allowed, there will be none as these books didn't exist back then. They did have books, but they were mostly either holy scripture, pages that documented history, or something to that nature. Stories were passed through word of mouth not usually written word.

I think that it is sufficient to say that, in terms of what we take in day by day, we should be watchful. But Christians have historically taken certain things and have blown them way out of proportion, and that is neither helathy to the faith, nor is it profitable for the Lord's testimony. Consider the fact that, at one time in our history moving pictures may have been considered a tool of Satan, and medicines were considered sorcery.

Exactly, in 100 years our great great grandchildren will laugh at how silly people were when they were claiming harry potter to be the work of the devil.

Guest jckduboise
I am not one who believes that our salvatiuon can be sacrificed by these kinds of distractions. I do believe that there is a dispensational punishment for those who have willingly fallen away, however.

That being said, I don;t want to get into a OSAS debate here. I think that it is sufficient to say that, in terms of what we take in day by day, we should be watchful. But Christians have historically taken certain things and have blown them way out of proportion, and that is neither helathy to the faith, nor is it profitable for the Lord's testimony. Consider the fact that, at one time in our history moving pictures may have been considered a tool of Satan, and medicines were considered sorcery.

My intentions sir are never to blow things out of proportion but to warn that we need to be watchful in everything that comes into our lives...this is a very tumulous time in the history of man and I do believe that Satan will use whatever means necessary. I am not someone who spooks easily but one can never be to careful. Perhaps someone who is not aware of what satan does is right and I am wrong,I am not any worse for wear and neither are they. But on the flip side perhaps I am right and they are wrong. If I am not willing to do what I believe God tells me to warn of and the person unaware could have been saved from such a thing...who is really wrong then? Me. I am called to testify to what I know to be true. I am aware of Spiritual Warfare and therefore I have to make others aware..

I merely posted again here because I saw a new name, the post of this person startled me and I could not hold back. I stand firm in this belief that the glorification of magic and other arts, drug movies, murder movies, horror flicks are all of satan, I don't care who's mind he used to come up with this "imagination"..it is glorification sir. And not glorification of our Lord.

God Bless

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It's not really glorification in our own world. It's all entertainment, I've yet to see anything in the scripture that said "Watching or reading about any of these activities is just as bad as partaking in them." Now, I can see if you're just sitting by and someone in the real world is doing drugs, or murdering or practicing wicthcraft you should say something, but we're talking about movies, TV or books. I only bring up the imagination because you ask where they get these ideas from.

Plus, you haven't really addressed this, but do you truly believe god doesn't want you to watch "The Sword in the Stone" or "The Wizard of Oz"? Plenty of people have watched these movies (I'm sure if you asked, most people who are fighting against harry potter has seen one of those movies) and I don't know of many (ok I don't know any but I'm sure there's a couple out there) who have turned to witchcraft.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have read all 6 of the Harry Potter books. They are well written and have a fascinating story line. That being said, I told my daughter she couldn't read them until she was alot more mature and well grounded in Christ. I told her this before I came to the two most hidious chapters ofthe entire series, which is toward the end of book 4 when Voldemort rose again. After reading that, I told her she is never to read the Harry Potter books, and this is the reason why; I want her mind set on whatsoever is pure, lovely, and good. I do not want her dwelling on things that are dark. I have been through alot of darkness in my life, and I do not want either of my children to feel drawn to it.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I have read all 6 of the Harry Potter books. They are well written and have a fascinating story line. That being said, I told my daughter she couldn't read them until she was alot more mature and well grounded in Christ. I told her this before I came to the two most hidious chapters ofthe entire series, which is toward the end of book 4 when Voldemort rose again. After reading that, I told her she is never to read the Harry Potter books, and this is the reason why; I want her mind set on whatsoever is pure, lovely, and good. I do not want her dwelling on things that are dark. I have been through alot of darkness in my life, and I do not want either of my children to feel drawn to it.

You've read all 6, but found something so disturbing in number 4 you told your child she can never read the books? Sounds like the perfect way to make sure she reads every one of them. The old "do as I say, not as I do" thing doesn't work with most kids. It never worked with me, and it didn't work with my kids, or anybody else that I ever saw, as a matter of fact its almost a perfect recipe for disaster. Children learn from example, and their own hard knocks, not somebody elses.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

You've read all 6, but found something so disturbing in number 4 you told your child she can never read the books? Sounds like the perfect way to make sure she reads every one of them. The old "do as I say, not as I do" thing doesn't work with most kids. It never worked with me, and it didn't work with my kids, or anybody else that I ever saw, as a matter of fact its almost a perfect recipe for disaster. Children learn from example, and their own hard knocks, not somebody elses.

True, but the books were never in my house. I don't even own them. How could she me read them?