IGNORED

The Outward Appearance of God’s People: Does it Matter?

mizzdy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Yep, but a beggar can wear rags to the Glory of God, sometimes more so than a rich man wearing Armani silk suits.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

When my grandfather was a young man (early thirties, and a struggling farmer), one Sunday morning he came to church with all twelve of his kids. That act in itself was noteworthy, as he'd lost his wife (my grandmother) a year before to pneumonia, and what with the Depression going on, and a dozen offsping he was rasing by himself, his church visits were few and far apart.

Anyway, he arrived at the service wearing one of the two pairs of overalls that he had. Those overalls were all the clothes he owned, and he'd cleaned this pair as well as he could. They'd just settled in when the pastor stopped his opening remarks, pointed a long bony finger at my grandpa, and proceeded to rake him over the coals for daring to "dishonor God's house wearing rags." At that my grandpa stood, gathered his kids, and left. To my knowledge he never again went to church for the rest of his life.

So unless someone shows up at a service clad in something blatantly sexy and/or offensive, I shrug it off. Life's too short to major on the minors.

That pastor should have been bounced out on his arrogant posterior......what a terrible thing to do in the Lord's name.

I have a very good friend who I was helping through depression for nearly a year. She and her husband have a deaf daughter who is married with four kids and lives in America. When her daughter was still a few years old they went to a church where the pastor told the congregation that she was deaf because of her parents past sins.

She has never set foot in a church again.

Wow....that's even worse than the comment about the overalls. People (and pastors) that say such things are just religious, they are not believers.

I've had 2 vastly different reactions to the way I was dressed while looking for a new church in Phoenix one summer. I was riding a mountain bike, and therefore dressed for the 106 degree weather: clean shorts & t-shirt and a Camelbak bag for water. After a trip varying from 5 to 8 or so miles I got these reactions:

Several churches treated me like a bum, at one I was told to leave, at another I was shunned -- you could have hung beef it was so cold there! I have never darkened their doors again, though I did send an email or two.

Only one welcomed me without question -- kinda like Jesus did. Here's the scary part: They didn't bat an eye at the way I was dressed and treated me like a human being before I admitted being a believer. Guess where I still go to church?

Why did I do this? Because a bike was the only way I had to get around for a while. Things worked out rather nicely though because I found the one church that I could get to where they care more about Christ than what someone is wearing. It ultimately kept me from wasting time on those others. :)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I must say that the way we dress..doesn't always reflect whats in our heart..

My first 16 years was being part of a Pentecostal Church..which I am no longer apart of. I have no issue with them at all..because I met and grew to love many. We didn't wear make up and the ladies worn dresses only. But within that 16 years..I meet some really mean spirit women..who felt their outer appearance would take care of the inner..not so. I also met some..who didn't know much about the Lord..yet were Christian..and worn..well lets say..not appropriate for church service dressing..but as they learned more and more about the Lord..their dressing began to change.

I'm a firm believer..as in "everything"..as we decrease and God increase..the Holy Spirit will guide us to the place acceptable and honorable to God. As well..will help to remove anything that will cause our brothers/sisters to stumble.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I've had 2 vastly different reactions to the way I was dressed while looking for a new church in Phoenix one summer. I was riding a mountain bike, and therefore dressed for the 106 degree weather: clean shorts & t-shirt and a Camelbak bag for water. After a trip varying from 5 to 8 or so miles I got these reactions:

Several churches treated me like a bum, at one I was told to leave, at another I was shunned -- you could have hung beef it was so cold there! I have never darkened their doors again, though I did send an email or two.

Only one welcomed me without question -- kinda like Jesus did. Here's the scary part: They didn't bat an eye at the way I was dressed and treated me like a human being before I admitted being a believer. Guess where I still go to church?

Why did I do this? Because a bike was the only way I had to get around for a while. Things worked out rather nicely though because I found the one church that I could get to where they care more about Christ than what someone is wearing. It ultimately kept me from wasting time on those others. :)

People are just idiots! We get walkins all the time, we get homeless, all kinds of people, we welcome them all. One of the homeless guys came once and had a huge coat on, it was warm! he said he wanted to meet God with his best suit. Made many tear up because this man had the right mind for Him. We come to Him in the best we have, that can be shorts, dresses, suits and ties, pants or whatever we have. If we have the heart of Him He accepts us how we are, if we are able to wear 'better clothes' we should, we are meeting our King our God each week. I think what bothers me so much are the ones who think its ok to come to worship, who know better anyhow, in short shorts, tank tops, tatts and piercing all over and tell everyone God made them that way and they are showing it off as some sort of glory to Him. So many dont have much modesty and think modestly went away on the cross also. I have heard some of the 20 somethings say, 'God is my covering I can dress how I want' and one of my favs 'God is helping me to show men I am godly and available', no kidding on that one either. Modestly goes along way to show the condition of our hearts but that may just be me.

shalom,

Mizz

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,130
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

People are just idiots! We get walkins all the time, we get homeless, all kinds of people, we welcome them all. One of the homeless guys came once and had a huge coat on, it was warm! he said he wanted to meet God with his best suit. Made many tear up because this man had the right mind for Him. We come to Him in the best we have, that can be shorts, dresses, suits and ties, pants or whatever we have. If we have the heart of Him He accepts us how we are, if we are able to wear 'better clothes' we should, we are meeting our King our God each week. I think what bothers me so much are the ones who think its ok to come to worship, who know better anyhow, in short shorts, tank tops, tatts and piercing all over and tell everyone God made them that way and they are showing it off as some sort of glory to Him. So many dont have much modesty and think modestly went away on the cross also. I have heard some of the 20 somethings say, 'God is my covering I can dress how I want' and one of my favs 'God is helping me to show men I am godly and available', no kidding on that one either. Modestly goes along way to show the condition of our hearts but that may just be me.

shalom,

Mizz

Its also Prov 31 woman :) I believe the most beautiful part of a person is their eye... a good heart brings a comfort in the eye to behold! When you can relax in the gaze of another male or female it is wonderful to behold... It is like a purity of nothing to hide, a cleaned soul by The Holy Spirit. love, Steven

People are just idiots! We get walkins all the time, we get homeless, all kinds of people, we welcome them all. One of the homeless guys came once and had a huge coat on, it was warm! he said he wanted to meet God with his best suit. Made many tear up because this man had the right mind for Him. We come to Him in the best we have, that can be shorts, dresses, suits and ties, pants or whatever we have. If we have the heart of Him He accepts us how we are, if we are able to wear 'better clothes' we should, we are meeting our King our God each week.

I think what bothers me so much are the ones who think its ok to come to worship, who know better anyhow, in short shorts, tank tops, tatts and piercing all over and tell everyone God made them that way and they are showing it off as some sort of glory to Him. So many dont have much modesty and think modestly went away on the cross also. I have heard some of the 20 somethings say, 'God is my covering I can dress how I want' and one of my favs 'God is helping me to show men I am godly and available', no kidding on that one either. Modestly goes along way to show the condition of our hearts but that may just be me.

shalom,

Mizz

It been my experience that as we grow in Christ on the inside the outside begins to change -- because that change comes from the heart. I know several bikers who don't dress anywhere near like they used to after they got saved and no one said a word to them . . . it was the Spirit who changed their "want to."

Those who show up dressed poorly and know better I'm sure have issues too. :) I try to pray for them that the Lord will change their heart (and help me not to be judgmental! :laugh: Funny how that can be so automatic at times that its almost a reflex.) It can be difficult at times, but its part of the trip too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  41,130
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

This is one of those topics we will never all agree on. To me, the Bible is clear that certain types of things are sinful when it comes to appearance. Men are to have short hair and women are to have long hair. People aren't to have tattoos. Women are to wear clothing that is feminine and applies to women, and men are to wear clothing that is masculine. Yes, I will be called legalistic for saying that, but I don't care, especially since I believe legalism is a good thing. I believe Jesus taught us to be legalistic when he said we were to keep and teach others to keep the least commandments.

As for church, when I was growing up, all men wore a suit and tie and all women wore a dress. At some point, things changed, and women started wearing pants to church, and those who didn't approve were attacked as legalists. God doesn't change. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. If something was wrong before, it still is. We have all these people who look for ways to justify their wrong behavior by twisting OT scriptures about things like mixing two types of materials in a single garment. That was a sign of separation for the children of Israel to show them to be distinct from the unbelieving gentile neighbors, and since the gentiles are now in the same church as Jewish believers, that prohibition doesn't apply. It has no relevance to scriptures like Deuteronomy 22:5 or the word effiminate in Corinthians, which indicates men are not to wear soft clothing that give them a feminine appearance. There isn't one argument the other side has used to justify that they can wear anything they want, or to attack me as a legalist I can't easily refute, so I would say yes, to the question of whether or not God cares about what we wear? He does care about our appearance.

I suggest you do not put into the temporary the eternal bindings... but use the filter Christ used and not condemn the world but to show it a way out not by legislation but by way truth and Spiritual Life in Him.... Love, Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

No.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

Yes outward and inward presentation should matter. At least to a certain extent. Could be wrong but believe that there are scriptures that direct believers how they should adorn for church.

Some of those instructions were:

To neglect gaudy jewelry and attire

To neglect wearing something that in which might inspire impure thought or a brother/sister in Christ to stumble.

Think there was more...but much of how we dress too reflects how much we, as individuals think of the person God made each of us to be.

Just Another Lost Soul Without A Clue

Dani

1st tim 2

9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

this does not say gaudy; it says no gold, no pearls