IGNORED

The Outward Appearance of God’s People: Does it Matter?

mizzdy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Just dress for the occasion....

:thumbsup:

Yeap~!

Wear Bib Overalls And Carry A Big Bat

And Maybe That Good Old Boy Will Get The Meaning Of "No", Bless His Wee Heart

Joe, You're a man after my own heart brother.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I agree we need to dress modestly, but I disagree with some of what he said. For instance he missed entirely why Achan sinned. It didnt have to do with trying to dress like a babylonian. His comment about a dress code as being part of how some groups survived as a distinct group troubled me too. It makes being a Christian dependent on man and our outward appearance rather than our hearts. He seems to be a bit legalistic. The bible really only tells women to dress modestly. Which isnt only in how much or little ones body is covered but also in how much "bling" we wear. Men should dress modestly too. Beyond that, I dont think there is a need for a "dress code". What is appropriate in Arizona may not be appropriate in Uganda or Fiji or Norway.

It is true that dress distinguished tribes, and it did distinguish the Jews over the thousands of years, it was only when they assimilated within the nations around them that they failed to be distinct. Honestly I do think we need to see how our dress shows our lifestyles and hearts. For instance if a woman is coming to church in shorts, speg. strapped t's, with or without a ton of makeup or earrings or piercing yet stands up on how unmoral the church is I would think twice about listening to her. Its kinda like going to a dr who is obese and that dr tells you your fat. Theres are universal 'type' of dress, I live in the desert also and know I am not going to go around in winter clothing as some in Norway would but I can dress modestly.

God wants a set apart people, how do we achieve this when most of the church looks like the world? In the fellowship I go to woman wear pants most are dressed very nicely, modestly, rarely does anyone ever come in anything unmodest. I went to a memorial at a pretty big mainstream church a few weeks back and most of the woman who were members and not staff were all dressed in summer clothing, one woman was actually gossiping about our head coverings yet her body was full of tatts, pretty short shorts and a speghetti strapped piece of cloth that covered her upper parts and not much more. Yet she had the gall to say that God was frowning on us poor legalistic people while He rejoiced in her walk because she was free from any laws and that included modest dressing. I so agree with you we can and should dress modestly, and the older woman in our congregations need to take these young woman and sometimes older woman under their wing and teach them godly ways, which is what we are told in scriptures to do. I dont like being told what and how to do things either brings back memories! lol but I know that when I meet with my King and Savior every week and as I walk with Him daily I want to represent Him in the best ways I can.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Just dress for the occasion....

:thumbsup:

Yeap~!

Wear Bib Overalls And Carry A Big Bat

And Maybe That Good Old Boy Will Get The Meaning Of "No", Bless His Wee Heart

Reminds me of my pappydad! lol As the story goes he got stuck pulling a stump out before church one morning and found he didnt have time to clean up and change into his suit. So he went in his bib overalls covered in dirt but he did clean his hands and face and put on good shoes! Guess the pastor had a good go at ribbing him for years. lol

The way I look at dressing accordingly is this, How would you dress to meet your King and Savior? Most would dress to meet the prez or some important person but many see going to church as a social thing and not really what it is we are really there for, Him, it is the day we all stand before Him as a congregation, as a family and present our sacrifice of praise to Him. Doesnt mean we have to go and buy suits, ties and expensive dresses or whatnot but that we should meet with Him in the manner He expects, with respect and a humbled heart.

shalom,

Mizz

Those grubby Fishermen met Him in just what they had on, I'm sure. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If I preached the Word, a good solid, Spirit inspired lesson, one which went straight to the hearts of those listening, and convicted some; dressed in board shorts and a T shirt, wearing trainers, with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other, would that be wrong?

And why?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

When my grandfather was a young man (early thirties, and a struggling farmer), one Sunday morning he came to church with all twelve of his kids. That act in itself was noteworthy, as he'd lost his wife (my grandmother) a year before to pneumonia, and what with the Depression going on, and a dozen offsping he was rasing by himself, his church visits were few and far apart.

Anyway, he arrived at the service wearing one of the two pairs of overalls that he had. Those overalls were all the clothes he owned, and he'd cleaned this pair as well as he could. They'd just settled in when the pastor stopped his opening remarks, pointed a long bony finger at my grandpa, and proceeded to rake him over the coals for daring to "dishonor God's house wearing rags." At that my grandpa stood, gathered his kids, and left. To my knowledge he never again went to church for the rest of his life.

So unless someone shows up at a service clad in something blatantly sexy and/or offensive, I shrug it off. Life's too short to major on the minors.

Edited by John Robinson

Yes, John and Charles Wesley did in fact preach in the fields of Great Britain amongst the grubbiest of Coal Miners and from that sprang forth a Great Western revival.

If I preached the Word, a good solid, Spirit inspired lesson, one which went straight to the hearts of those listening, and convicted some; dressed in board shorts and a T shirt, wearing trainers, with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other, would that be wrong?

And why?

Is the beer cold?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Yes, it matters what Christians wear. Every Christian is responsible for putting on the Lord Jesus Christ each day. Doing so will affect your wardrobe whether you be man or woman it doesn't matter. Clothe yourself with Christ and you will not offend any of Gods dear children. You will only offend those who are offended in Christ.

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

Most of what was quoted in the article was from old testament jewish law which we are not under. and in the quote from 1st Corin they gave v 13,14,15 and stopped short of giving v 16

But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.