IGNORED

The Outward Appearance of God’s People: Does it Matter?

mizzdy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

This is not intended to start a huge debate on clothing, etc. I did think it was a good article and it should make us think about what He really expects from His called out people. link

Yes outward and inward presentation should matter. At least to a certain extent. Could be wrong but believe that there are scriptures that direct believers how they should adorn for church.

Some of those instructions were:

To neglect gaudy jewelry and attire

To neglect wearing something that in which might inspire impure thought or a brother/sister in Christ to stumble.

Think there was more...but much of how we dress too reflects how much we, as individuals think of the person God made each of us to be.

Just Another Lost Soul Without A Clue

Dani

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

I agree we need to dress modestly, but I disagree with some of what he said. For instance he missed entirely why Achan sinned. It didnt have to do with trying to dress like a babylonian. His comment about a dress code as being part of how some groups survived as a distinct group troubled me too. It makes being a Christian dependent on man and our outward appearance rather than our hearts. He seems to be a bit legalistic. The bible really only tells women to dress modestly. Which isnt only in how much or little ones body is covered but also in how much "bling" we wear. Men should dress modestly too. Beyond that, I dont think there is a need for a "dress code". What is appropriate in Arizona may not be appropriate in Uganda or Fiji or Norway.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  177
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

This is what I go back to on the subject.

Mat 23:13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom

of heaven against men; for you neither go in [yourselves], nor do you allow those who are

entering to go in.

then go down to

Mat 23:24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

Mat 23:25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse

the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.

Mat 23:26 "Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside

of them may be clean also.

Clothing is good way to sort out churches when you are looking for a new one. Show up on Sunday morning in clean blue jeans and a t-shirt and see what kind of reaction you get. If you get shunned or otherwise treated like dirt, they're probably more stuck on clothes than on Jesus and its time to look elsewhere.

Guest grace2

I see part of this writing as too legalistic, but certainly agree with much of what he says. Indeed it is a heart issue. As God's people we should dress modestly. We are told not to be a stumbling block.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

How we dress does affect our witness to the world. I can certainly say that when I wear a suit at work, I'm treated differently than when I dress casually.

I never wear a suit to church and believe it actually hampers my witness. As a Christian, I want to make people feel comfortable. I want them to relate with me one on one. That's not easy, when they see you as superior to them.

It also applies to being underdressed or having an unkept appearance. Who's interested in the testimony of a trashy bum.

Ladies should dress modestly. Men struggle in this area, and as sisters in Christ, you shouldn't tempt us to have unclean thoughts. How can you expect to lead me to Christ with that low cut dress?

Just dress for the occasion.

Just dress for the occasion....

:thumbsup:

Yeap~!

Wear Bib Overalls And Carry A Big Bat

And Maybe That Good Old Boy Will Get The Meaning Of "No", Bless His Wee Heart

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Remember: The rule is love.

If the attire is a stumbling block to someone else, it isn't love. If the attire is to draw attention to yourself, it isn't love. If the attire is disrespectful, it isn't love. If your attire is reeks of "attitude", it isn't love either.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.12
  • Days Won:  78

I believe God DOES care how we dress and present ourselves to the world. I don't mean He favors one fashion or the other but He does expect us to dress modestly and to keep ourselves clean and well groomed. This is a form of love and respect for Him, for ourselves and also for our fellow man. I have always said that anyone who walks about presenting a slovenly appearance to the world, and reeking of body odor and bad breath, doesn't care about either themselves or other people and certainly doesn't give homage to the Lord.