Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ambassadorforchrist

What about eating and drinking in the sanctuary?

30 posts in this topic

Shouldn't the sanctuary be repected and reverened? You're there to show respect to God and the pastor delivering the message, right? Are there any scriptures supporting this view?

Shouldn't the sanctuary be respected and revered?

well not the sanctuary itself but I guess I understand what you mean

what's going on that you ask these questions? just wonderin........

ps: I don't think it's a good idea necessarily to eat and drink in there..but sometimes parents

might give a child something

Shouldn't the sanctuary be repected and reverened? You're there to show respect to God and the pastor delivering the message, right? Are there any scriptures supporting this view?

The old testament is said time and again to be an example, an illustration if you will. Lev. 10 is a great example of what you are talking about. The message of a lot of the old testament in regards to the temple or holy places is simple. Treat that which is holy as holy. We are not suppose to treat that which is holy as we would things that are common. That's why GOD made such a point about making sure it was understood that , that which is Holy is set apart. Today most treat these verses as if they only dealt with us, since our bodies are now the temple of GOD. But if everyone is so adimit, that our churches are the house of GOD, Places that are set apart to worship GOD. Then shouldn't it be treated with more respect? People would not have marriage relations in the church, or smoke a ciggerette in the church because it would be disrespectful. So I agree it is disrespectful to eat or drink on the church. Unless it's like feeding a baby or small child. Jesus said that the temple was a house of prayer. If the designated place of prayer and worship becomes common by our actions, then whats left that's holy.

2 Tim 3:1-5

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

In the verses above it's talking about those that don't know GOD and there behavior in the last days. It's also a sign of the enviroment in which we will live. Not everyone who goes to church is saved. Not everyone who says they are saved and have a relationship with Yeshua actually does. If this is how people will be acting and they don't respect anything else, why would they respect that which is holy? All we can do is love them and as we draw nearer to Yeshua, pray that we will all be an example that GOD can use to show forth his glory. I hope this helps. May GOD bless you

Edited by firestormx

Just my own opinion, but I agree. I wouldn't mind if someone brought a bottle of water or something mundane like that. However I do see eating as being disrespectful. At my Church service is done right before lunch time, and I think everyone starts to get hungry at the end, but we all slug it out and wait patiently for service to end before going off eating. So unless it's a small child or something I do think it would be disrespectful to the pastor, congregation, and God's message to pull out some food in the middle of service and munch away.

At Christmas time there's a special Christmas Eve night service where we do hand out food and drink to all in the middle of service, but that's a special occasion and part of the scheduled worship, and I don't have a problem with that and other like-minded events.

ya know, it's a BUILDING. God doesn't live in the building, He lives in the hearts of His people. the sanctuary is just the gathering place. it is not "holy". the temple of the old testament was used for many things, but not (as i understand it) for sunday morning sermons.

now this isn't to say that there are times when eating in the sanctuary is inappropriate... like during the sermon, we shouldn't be snacking on chips and sandwiches. not because it's a holy place though... but because it is inconsiderate of everyone around you, and disrespectful of the pastor.

i think those who believe that the sanctuary should be revered and food should never be eaten in that room should consider what that means to SMALL churches who are limited on space. goodness... the church i belong to in vegas (i am still a member there, although i live 1200 miles away now) was TINY! we sometimes served food to be eaten in the children's education room and outside, but there were other occasions when that wasn't an option and we had the women's luncheon, or new year's festivities (including food), or lock-ins with movie night and snacks right there in the sanctuary. i've attended many other small churches were similar events, even pot luck dinners, took place in the sanctuary. it's often the only part of a church large enough to hold events like that.

is it disrespectful? irreverant? unholy? absolutely NOT! nothing of the sort. it's a celebration of God's children getting together to fellowship and to worship Him even with food. oh wait... are we allowed (biblically) to worship the Lord with food? YOU BET! blow the dust off the old testament and read up on how frequently God talks about food in conjunction with worship, tithe, praise, honor. and aside from the sin offering, what do ya'll think happened with all the different offerings? the wave offering and the grain offering and all those others? some went to the levites (who ate their meals in the temple i think, some part of it anyway), and.... well.... surely the rest of all that food wasn't just thrown out! it was eaten! consider all the feasts that God instructed His people to prepare... and share... i know people think of all these things as having been burdensome obligations, but i suspect they were celebratory feasts that everybody enjoyed thoroughly. did it matter where they ate? probably not as long as it wasn't the part of the temple that was forbidden to any but the priests. our modern day churches don't even slightly resemble the temple, neither in design nor in functionality.

so all this talk about disrespecting the sanctuary seems rather petty and silly to me. and i really don't think God cares a bit one way or another. it really depends on the church... and if a large church has the space to designate certain areas off limits for food and drink, there's nothing wrong with them making such rules. for churches who have no such rules, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

Define "sanctuary"

In Rome Italy I know of a church that once a week opens it's doors and sets out tables

in the aisle of the church all the way down to the alter.

They place clean fresh linen table cloths, china and not plastic plates, all the trimmings of the best restaurant are not spared.

Then the doors open and those that live on the street and those that have little, walk in.

It's a sanctuary, a blessing , a meal. Served with love and a friendly face and an ear to listen if you wish.

Does God disapprove? personal I think not.

I only went once because I didn't often wish to mix with others but that one time I did,,,

well, it was a good feeling, I was grateful to come in out of the cold winters day.

It was a privilege to eat in God's house and I think He was pleased to see me there.

Want to know something , they also run a soup kitchen in another part of town on a daily basis, so really didn't have to use the, "Sanctuary" church.

Yet they did; I believe that was a good use of the, "Sanctuary" .

I will NOT write I am having a snack...repeat 100's

and if a large church has the space to designate certain areas off limits for food and drink, there's nothing wrong with them making such rules. for churches who have no such rules, there's nothing wrong with that, either.

that's not altogether unreasonable at all... actually, this one sounds interesting:

In Rome Italy I know of a church that once a week opens it's doors and sets out tables

in the aisle of the church all the way down to the alter.

They place clean fresh linen table cloths, china and not plastic plates, all the trimmings of the best restaurant are not spared.

Then the doors open and those that live on the street and those that have little, walk in.

I like it because it is for those who have little or who live on the street...reminds me of the wedding feast that Jesus spoke

of where those invited turned it down and so those on the street were brought in...I'm not saying they are the same

(for clarity's sake) but it does remind me of it

I'm still wondering why the op tho, what brought on the question so maybe we can frame an answer better?

was it a free for all or what?

You know and I understand..

When a time is set aside for just eating..as in a Fellowship and the church is small and needs to use that area..that's fine. But during service..I don't believe so.

Reason..

Hi my name is Joyful..and I am the domesticated goddess for our church. Those that eat and drink..tend to know it draws attention. So they ease it out to the kids or to themselves..in the process..spills and crumbs are every where. Drinks or juice being spilled..leaves stains. Peppermint candy and gum sticks on the carpet/floor. If spills are not taken care of in a timely matter..the spot has found a home. Early morning prayer..brings the coffee spills and jelly stains. Some won't even take their trash out...

This is an on going subject where I work..and it cause a hardship..because I keep cleaning the carpet over and over. And let me tell you..as any establishment..the church is no different..people will comment or complain on how..it looks/ being taking care of. If anyone helps with housekeeping at their church..I'm sure a percentage can share..no many choose to operate in that ministry. I feel that there is a place and time for every thing..and no matter how large or small the church is..there is a place within the building.. where you can go and give the kids juice/snacks. As well as for early morning prayer..leave early enough and eat breakfast in the car or wait until leaving. Babies are a totally different story..I feel that's alright.

Is it biblical not to eat/drink..I have no idea..

But I do believe..respect should be given to the House of the Lord.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0