Sign in to follow this  

Tilapia, good enough for Jesus, good enough for me.

I have a bag of frozen Tilapia filets in the freezer. So far, I have only pan fried them, in butter with a bit of garlic power, sometimes add pepper, and eaten it as is or with a little lemon juice, or tarter sauce.

Anyone have any favortie recipes or ideas for variations on the theme of Tilapia?

Y'all need to move to North Queensland if you enjoy Tilapia! It is a pest! We slit their throats and throw them on the river bank to rot.

Y'all need to move to North Queensland if you enjoy Tilapia! It is a pest! We slit their throats and throw them on the river bank to rot.

Here too! They are considered rubbish fish, to be thrown away. Except for my wife, who loves them, but then being Filipino just about anything with a fin goes :cool2: . I like my fish filleted, de- boned, and from the sea. Like Dorado, swordfish, barracuda, etc.

But Omega, one way I like my fish is like this....

I fry a bit of onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil, with a touch of curry powder. I add a little chili sauce, just a tad. Sometimes something a bit sweet, again just a touch, like chutney (don't think you get it there). The secret is just a bit of the spices so as not to overpower the fish.

When the sauce has absorbed all the ingredients I turn the pan heat down very low, and place the fillets on top of the sauce, occasionally spooning a bit over the top of the fish. Four to five minutes either side is enough, or until the fish is cooked through but still moist in the center.

What you get is fish that absorbs the flavor, and the color of the spices, and is usually a golden yellow, but not fried, more like poached.

If you can, leave it overnight in an airtight dish, and heat before eating the next day. it is much better tasting having been marinated overnight in the sauce.

Now I'm hungry, and I need to go fishing.....

I like Tilapia, but it is not so good (no food is) that it would suffice as a reason to move to Australia. Of course, I know this stuff Andy, we have had this conversation. I saw the same mentality in the state of Iowa. There, the local crop was corn, some Black Angus Steers were running loose, and ate some corn. So the local farmers shot them, and left them on the ground to rot, becuase they did not want to eat a pest. I imagine that the idea of prime beef, dead on the ground, would not be enough reason for you to move to the states.

But Omega, one way I like my fish is like this....

I fry a bit of onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil, with a touch of curry powder. I add a little chili sauce, just a tad. Sometimes something a bit sweet, again just a touch, like chutney (don't think you get it there). The secret is just a bit of the spices so as not to overpower the fish.

When the sauce has absorbed all the ingredients I turn the pan heat down very low, and place the fillets on top of the sauce, occasionally spooning a bit over the top of the fish. Four to five minutes either side is enough, or until the fish is cooked through but still moist in the center.

What you get is fish that absorbs the flavor, and the color of the spices, and is usually a golden yellow, but not fried, more like poached.

If you can, leave it overnight in an airtight dish, and heat before eating the next day. it is much better tasting having been marinated overnight in the sauce.

Now I'm hungry, and I need to go fishing.....

Thanks Fez,

I am having Tilapia tonight, some of that is a bit ambitious for me, I am exhausted. However, I am going to try this one:

I fry a bit of onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil, with a touch of curry powder. I add a little chili sauce, just a tad.

I let you know what I think of it. Thanks again.

Place sliced lemons, chilli, basil on top and wrap in aluminium foil... then whack in the oven.

Place sliced lemons, chilli, basil on top and wrap in aluminium foil... then whack in the oven.

Or you can wrap it in newspaper, tape it with duct tape, and bury it in the backyard...

Or you can wrap it in newspaper, tape it with duct tape, and bury it in the backyard...

Poor man's treasure hunt? O.o

Poor man's treasure hunt? O.o

More like slow release fertilizer for cabbages :cool2:

Sign in to follow this