• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/07/1947

THE “DEAD IN CHRIST” SHALL RISE FIRST

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first (1 Thessalonians 4:16). THEN we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord (1 Thessalonians 4:17). The “dead in Christ” rise first, then we are “caught-up”.

Who are the “dead in Christ” that rise first? This Greek word for “dead” can mean physically dead (deceased), or spiritually dead, as the prodigal son was “dead” until he repented and returned to his father. We see both connotations being used in the following. "Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead” (Matthew 8:22).

By the next verse we see that even though believers are physically alive, we can be spiritually dead.

"I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead (Revelation 3:1).

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death (1 John 3:14). Believers pass from death unto life by being made alive together with Christ when forgiven of all trespasses by repenting and confessing their sins. We who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:16).

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: (John 1:12). Receiving the Spirit of Christ gives us the right to be born of GOD as a child of GOD.

when we were dead in trespasses, (GOD) made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), (Ephesians 2:5). We are justified and saved by being made alive together with the Spirit of Christ.

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, (Colossians 2:13). We are justified and saved by being made alive together with Christ when we are forgiven of all trespasses by repenting and confessing our sins.

It shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the lord shall be saved (acts 2:21).

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God (John 3:5).

Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother (1 John 3:9-10).

And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment (1 John 3:23).

You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only (James 2:24).

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also (James 2: 26).

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' (Matthew 25:34-36).

Judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead (James 2:13-17).

If you know He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him (1 John 2:29)

…..and the dead in Christ will rise first (1 Thessalonians 4:16b).

Buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead (Colossians 2:12). Is this baptism of the Spirit or water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ?

For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven (Mark 2:25). They neither marry nor are given in marriage. Is this a mate without wedlock or celibacy? What to you believe this means and why? Are we living as under the Law if we believe marriage by wedlock is a prerequisite to a relationship?

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God (Romans 3:19).

If anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins (James 5:19-20).

Guest Butero

The dead in Christ are those who are dead and in the ground. On the appointed day, the spirit of those who have died in Christ will be reunited with their body, and they will physically rise from the grave. Then those who are alive and remain will join them in the air. Some believe this to be the rapture, and some insist it is the second coming.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

I have wondered about the dead in Christ too. Especially in the light of 1 Thess 5:6,7~ Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep, sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.

Also, who are the 'they' spoken of in 1 thess 5:3? Those that sleep? Isn't chapter 5 a continuation of chapter 4?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

The nekros en Christou are those who predeceased us. Context is everything. Their bodies sleep and are changed at the Resurrection on the Last Day. Those who are alive simply bypass the natural death process and receive new bodies wherever they are on the Last Day and are taken into the air to be with Jesus (Rev 21) as part of the Bride.

There are 2 seperate words for sleep in this passage, which extends into I Thess 5.

koimao: to cause to be put to sleep (referring to Christian death, Ch 4)

and katheudo: the sleep of indifference or laziness (regarding the things of God in Ch 5)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

The nekros en Christou are those who predeceased us. Context is everything. Their bodies sleep and are changed at the Resurrection on the Last Day. Those who are alive simply bypass the natural death process and receive new bodies wherever they are on the Last Day and are taken into the air to be with Jesus (Rev 21) as part of the Bride.

There are 2 seperate words for sleep in this passage, which extends into I Thess 5.

koimao: to cause to be put to sleep (referring to Christian death, Ch 4)

and katheudo: the sleep of indifference or laziness (regarding the things of God in Ch 5)

thanks, will check it out further

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

I have always been perplexed about the dead rising first statement because Jesus said he is God of the living and mentioned Abraham. And when he died on the cross did not the dead rise then? So I am left believing that those dead in Christ have already risen.

I have always been perplexed about the dead rising first statement because Jesus said he is God of the living and mentioned Abraham. And when he died on the cross did not the dead rise then? So I am left believing that those dead in Christ have already risen.

Physically dead. Predeceased. Those who passed on before those currently living. Some rose at Christ's death, but those were the Old Testament righteous, described later as the firstfruits.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first (1 Thessalonians 4:16). THEN we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord (1 Thessalonians 4:17). The “dead in Christ” rise first, then we are “caught-up”.

Who are the “dead in Christ” that rise first? This Greek word for “dead” can mean physically dead (deceased), or spiritually dead, as the prodigal son was “dead” until he repented and returned to his father. We see both connotations being used in the following. "Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead” (Matthew 8:22).

By the next verse we see that even though believers are physically alive, we can be spiritually dead.

"I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead (Revelation 3:1).

We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death (1 John 3:14). Believers pass from death unto life by being made alive together with Christ when forgiven of all trespasses by repenting and confessing their sins. We who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:16).

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: (John 1:12). Receiving the Spirit of Christ gives us the right to be born of GOD as a child of GOD.

when we were dead in trespasses, (GOD) made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), (Ephesians 2:5). We are justified and saved by being made alive together with the Spirit of Christ.

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, (Colossians 2:13). We are justified and saved by being made alive together with Christ when we are forgiven of all trespasses by repenting and confessing our sins.

It shall come to pass that whoever calls on the name of the lord shall be saved (acts 2:21).

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God (John 3:5).

Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God. In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother (1 John 3:9-10).

And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment (1 John 3:23).

You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only (James 2:24).

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also (James 2: 26).

Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' (Matthew 25:34-36).

Judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead (James 2:13-17).

If you know He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him (1 John 2:29)

Buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead (Colossians 2:12). Is this baptism of the Spirit or water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ?

For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven (Mark 2:25). They neither marry nor are given in marriage. Is this a mate without wedlock or celibacy? What to you believe this means and why? Are we living as under the Law if we believe marriage by wedlock is a prerequisite to a relationship?

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God (Romans 3:19).

If anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins (James 5:19-20).

I always thought that when Jesus comes to collect ( rapture ) the ones who sleep in the ground ( passed away ) and those who have not and we meet him in the air it will not be in the human body. If he takes us to heaven we will have no need for the human body

once we get there.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

It is a most confusing passage to say the least. The word for sleep has been used to speak of those who are literally sleeping as well as those who are dead and buried (Matt 27:52 and 28:15). If those don't persuade consider Jesus speaking about Lazarus. He said he was sleeping then had to clarify by saying that he was actually dead because the disciples thought he meant that he was actually asleep. This first word is never used to state someone is asleep unto righteousness and therefore dead in trespass and sin. But the other word for sleep is used to mean physical sleep and asleep to righteousness as well as contrasted with physical death.

Those who are asleep here are physically dead but alive awaiting resurrection.

Gary

I always thought that when Jesus comes to collect ( rapture ) the ones who sleep in the ground ( passed away ) and those who have not and we meet him in the air it will not be in the human body. If he takes us to heaven we will have no need for the human body

once we get there.

You think right. I Cor 15 (starting at about v48 if I recall) tells us that these bodies will be changed. For an idea of the kind of body we will receive, look at the body Jesus had after the resurrection. It was recognizable (the disciples knew him). It had no blood (none of the holes from crucifixion leaked blood, yet Thomas was able to place his hand into Jesus' side and withdraw it without getting bloody) and it was able to move about without restriction (appearing in a locked room in Acts). Jesus was able to eat, but didn't appear to require sustenance. The flesh requires blood for life as it is written: "The life of the flesh is in the blood..." In the new body, it appears that the Spirit (or our renewed human spirit) is what 'powers' the body or gives it its life and the resultant abilities.