• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yesterday, about a Christian gold-medalist olympian who wrote a book called The Goal and the Glory.

One quote from the book was:

"I had finally tasted the best the world had to offer and it was sweet . . . but oh, so short! Having had a taste of glory, I now felt empty. It was sobering to experience the shock of a high so high followed by a low so low. I was a little confused and disillusioned."

When asked about this in the interview, he responded:

I agree that there are so many fun perks of being the best in the world at something, but at the same time it went by so fast. I went like, "I just trained ten years and it lasted about four or five hours! That was it!" It was a little sobering thinking, "Oh my gosh, was it worth it?" I had to really analyze my motivation and my soul,....

And then on Yahoo! news I saw an article about the fate of Beijing's 2008 Olympic venues. While some are still being utilized for sports, others are an empty wasteland, abandoned.

Now I'm sure we as Christians know not to put our hopes in this world, yet we still get hyped about sports, the Olympics, celebrities, etc.

I'm not saying don't enjoy the Olympics. But yet, what if we spent some time reflecting, and using the opportunity to reflect with other? Not to puff yourself up, but to search your heart, to encourage others to search their hearts, especially those that don't know Jesus.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

True.. often when I see sport fans in the crowds cheering and dressed in their team or country colors with painted faces and all that - I think to myself "God intended that we would have the same passion and creativity in worship of Him". It was all meant for worship. I know there will be sports in heaven, but it will all be done for the King in worship! Celebrating all that He created us to be and all He created us for!

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Love the Olympics. My favourite event of anything. The passion. The pageantry. The stories. The drama. The moments.

Yes, it's true that everything is fleeting. But, in an ironic sort of way, that is one factor that makes it great. So much sacrifice and preparation and anticipation for that one glorious moment. Sort of like a metaphor for life in so many respects.

Life itself can seem so brief. We should savor the moments that make it special for each of us, for we know not what the next sunrise will bring.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Love the Olympics. My favourite event of anything. The passion. The pageantry. The stories. The drama. The moments.

Yes, it's true that everything is fleeting. But, in an ironic sort of way, that is one factor that makes it great. So much sacrifice and preparation and anticipation for that one glorious moment. Sort of like a metaphor for life in so many respects.

Life itself can seem so brief. We should savor the moments that make it special for each of us, for we know not what the next sunrise will bring.

Thank you Mark. For pointing out why sports are such a waste of time. One could have spent all that energy and time living for God rather than working to achieve a corruptible crown through envy, jealousy and emulation, all for the purpose of carnal glory and honor. There is nothing like the sight of will worship and the physical results in this world it accomplishes to set you above your peers. May they all enjoy their moment in the Sun.

Gary