• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

nebula I think you explained things fine. My concern is that gender differences are overemphasized in certain circles, certainly beyond what the gospel is, beyond right and wrong, and beyond what reality is. If woman genuinely enjoys being competitive and indulging in risk taking, is she doing something wrong? If her husband doesn't so much, is he wrong? Some people seem to be much more driven in general than others, some from both the male and female camp. I guess I am honestly not sure why this tends to show up in Christian literature so much.

Hey, I've got a much stronger left-brain leaning than most men! But I notice how I debate is different than how men can debate, and I notice that the way women compete has a difference than when men compete. Both men and women find value in their progress, but the impact is different for men than for women. There's words for explaining that, but they fail me right now.

Okay, so say I grant that men and women tend to go about debates and competition etc., which on the whole does seem likely. My question is about people who fail to fit the mold, are they somehow wrong? A woman who is competitive in the way that men are typically competitive, and is that way without reflection and enjoys being that way, is she doing something wrong? Or the man who likes to dialog more like a typical woman?

Hopefully you can see my question here. It's one thing to say, this is how it is in most cases. It's another thing entirely to say, this is how it ought to be, and anyone failing to be this way is wrong in a significant way.

Ever hear of "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?

We are just wired different. Men are "vertical", women are "horizontal." Things like that.

How many men would spend an afternoon watching Soap Operas?

How many women would expel gas in a group of people for humor? (Sorry, but that's the best example I can think of?) When I was in college, one December night with snow on the ground, a group of guys were playing some game where the person who lost the round had to run outside and around the dorm lawn wearing nothing but boxer shorts. Now there might be some tomboy out there who might possibly join in on that - but her motive would not be to prove how tough she is, but rather she would do it to fit in and to relate to the guys. That's what is different.

I hear that, nebula. But even so, there are outliers. For instance, I have know women who have genuinely enjoyed practical jokes as much as the guys I know (I for one have lost count of the number of times I've been electrocuted). They laugh as hard as everyone else, in fact, one woman I know is particularly good at this and laughs so hard she cries.The question is, since it involved 'typical guy' behavior, is it wrong for her to enjoy it? Should she instead giggle demurely or go watch a chick flick? And, I know guys who seriously do not like this kind of stuff, is there something wrong with them? So while I agree there seem to be some overall differences in what most men and women like and don't, admittedly I know I am talking about exceptions, but what about the exceptions, are they doing something wrong?

:huh: Somehow we are seriously failing to communicate.

haha okay... I thought you were saying that men and women on the whole have very different sensibilities. My question is, if there is a woman with a man's sensibilities (outliers), or vice versa, is that wrong?

Women do have a rep for "intuition" - but this comes from our desire for relationship (the horizontal thing I mentioned before) and being more emotional and more in tune with emotions.

Does that mean guys can't have emotional leanings and not still be masculine? Of course not. Does this mean women can't be less emotionally in-tune and not still be feminine? Of course not.

But there is a difference between having a heart opened or closed and that of being more or less "sensitive."

And when a person has disdain for his or her gender, something is wrong.

... I'm still thinking about why all this really matters so much.

It goes back to the question of why God created man in the first place - and then why He made man "male and female" and why He created the husband-wife relationship. (And if you think it's just about sex and procreation, you are missing out on the heart of God.)

But I'll give you a hint on this - it is written in the New Testament letters that the husband-wife relationship is supposed to reflect the relationship between Christ and His people (the Church).

If you are asking to know, I would recommend you using that brain of yours and researching this out.

I'm having a hard time dealing with your "devil's advocate" approach to what I talk about.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

Maybe not so much needing an answer, but I think it valuable to discuss this topic.

Satan's war against women

Reducing women to sex objects. The loss of innocence. Men treating women as second-class or property. The fashion industry, Hollywood, pop-culture, etc. focusing on body image - it needst ohave "sex appeal" - in other words, your figure and how you dress needs to provoke lust (low cut, cleavage, exposed midriff, tight pants, Daisy dukes, as little covered as possible). Girls thinking they have to look and dress provocatively to find male-acceptance and attention, find their self-worth. "Reproductive rights" is the code phrase for promoting illicit sex and abortion (I hear these words advocated whenever they talk about their rights to sex and abortion).

Satan's war against men

Manhood is hated, discouraged, and belittled - the strong defender, the warrior, the risk-taker, the adventurer. Men need to be "sensitive" like women (note: this is different from leading with their hearts). They shouldn't be competitive. Men should be subservient.

The devaluing of gender-identity

With women supposed to be like men and men supposed to be like women, now it is praised for men to deny their masculinity and women to deny their femininity. Homosexuality and lesbianism is one aspect of this. But we have little boys be taught by mothers to enjoy "girly things". Another child is being raised androgynous so that the child can "choose" his/her gender.

Thoughts? Additions? Etc.?

In truth, I am not so certain it is a matter of hating Genders. As much as it is a matter of hating God's creation. Keeping in mind that Satan, formerly known as Lucifer and one of the most beautiful angels God created once was very much loved by God. His pride though got in the way. Imagine then knowing that God made mankind special. Important enough to be placed over all living and creeping things on the earth.... that can come across as a slap to the face to an angel if one is indeed prideful like Satan was.

Then that is just my take on it.

Just Another Sinner Without A Clue

Dani

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

There is an issue I am dealing with now, and I think it relates directly to this topic, so I am going to post it (hope I don't sidetrack your thread).

First off I want to make something clear, this is not a blanket statement and in no way applies to all members of any one gender, so please do not take offense.

I am currently experiencing hostility from someone regarding a baby shower for my niece. This individual requests that I attend this baby shower with them, despite the fact I was not invited on the invitation. Now, first off, I have absolutely no interest in baby showers, I am a male after all, and sorry, but I don't get all gushy over babies. In my generation it was never expected or even thought of for men to attend such things, so I am a bit perplexed by it to begin with. I did not even attend my own childs baby shower, except of course to make an appearance near the end of it, but really that was so I could do my manly duties of helping to load and carry all of the gifts.

Secondly, wouldn't it be wrong of me to go somewhere uninvited, I mean, there is a reason people R.S.V.P. for these things isn't there? If everyone brought along an extra person, would that not complicate things for those hosting it?

Over the course of my life I have witnessed a tearing down of masculinity, and it is being done systematically, and seems to be largely in part to the attitude of certain females. I know that in my former marriage, this was a daily thing, my ex-wife was determined to "wear the pants" so to speak, but I also see this same thing within others relationships as well. In most marriages that I know personally, the women handle the finances, the women make all the plans for the family as far as vacations, outings, or even a simple date with their spouse. If the man disagrees, he is punished (not going into specifics on this one), so for the most part, men have become compliant.

What I ask myself is, what on earth is wrong with men, and what are they thinking? Are there any men out there like me, who do not comply to threats, but stand independently on their own thoughts? Also, is this really what women want? Because given the marital woes of society, this model is clearly fatally flawed.

My understanding of scripture is that men are to be the head of the household, the leader of the family, and I am not talking about being a tyrant, this is something anyone who knows me would never describe as one of my attributes. My ex-wife's thoughts and feelings were always something I took into consideration, but feelings are not something I use to navigate through life or govern my decisions. I think the emotional differences between the two genders are precisely why God established the marriage model in the manner He did.

At any rate, as I read this thread I felt compelled to share what I am dealing with and have dealt with, and am curious to see the responses, or if anyone else sees things in a similar fashion. Again, for the record, I am in no way generalizing or stating that these things apply to all women or men, because I know for certain that they do not. I know of many good, solid marriages that follow the model I believe scripture teaches us, so please refrain from beating me up too badly and consider the matter before responding based on feelings. God bless. :)

In truth, I am not so certain it is a matter of hating Genders. As much as it is a matter of hating God's creation. ...

True - but the more I have been learning about the way the Lord made the genders and what the marriage covenant is about and what is being made of the genders in societies, the more I am seeing that there is something particular in the heart of God for 'male and female' that Satan is out to destroy.

I'm really not trying to play devil's advocate here, these are my actual opinions. This is one of those issues that keeps popping up in my new Christian experience that I don't get. For instance, I have seen some of Driscoll's writings on the matter and I am beyond baffled, and kind of disturbed. When I saw your thread I was interested in your feedback (or anyone's) that might help illuminate why this is such a theme at least in some Christian circles. From what I understand about those verses they are related to certain aspects of the husband and wife relationship, not about gender roles in general per se.

If you have nothing else to say about it to me, that's cool, but I did want to clarify at least where I am coming from on this and that I am not trying to corner you with rhetoric or something like that.

OK, I see. The way you were making comments and asking questions, I wasn't seeing the heart of the matter. My apologies.

I don't know Driscoll or what he said, but it's a theme to Christians because of what Scripture has to say with regards to the creation of man and woman and husband-wife relationships and roles.

Plus the fact that He did NOT create women to be sex objects, nor did He create men to be neutered slaves (which are the things society is pushing us towards).

I hope that's a start.

To really delve into things, though, I still recommend the Wild at Heart book I mentioned. I'd quote from it, but I gave my copy away.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

It is- interesting- being a single Christian man for a lifetime (now 38). I wonder what life as monk is like.