Sign in to follow this  
DanL

Ezekiel bread

I never heard of this kind of bread... but , I bet it is great !

I am not a bread maker ...but, I will check if the bakey makes it. Thank you.

I never heard of this kind of bread... but , I bet it is great !

I am not a bread maker ...but, I will check if the bakey makes it. Thank you.

Go to a thrift store and get a bread machine. People get rid of them all the time. Even if the machine doesn't come with a manual or recipe book, you can find them online, as well as other recipes. Or you can buy boxed mixes at the store.

It is almost impossible to mess up bread in a bread machine. You do not have to be good at baking. All you have to do is add the ingredients to the machine, in the right order, put the machine on the right settings, turn it on, and walk away. Come back about 3 hours later and take out a loaf of bread. I make bread in mine about once a week.

I would not advise buying yeast in bulk unless you are going to be baking a lot in a short time. Yeast has an expiration date for a reason and if you try and use it much past that date, your bread is not going to rise right.

Oh...thank you ..brother...for your advice. I will be shopping around for a bread machine.

But, then ...I am afraid to add too much yeast .

and ..if while the bread bakes and I leave the house and come back ....I am afraid

I may have a giant blown up bread.... coming out of my house ...ready to blow up the neighborhood ... :P:help:

Joking...

I will do....Thank ya !

Okay, after further experimentation, I have refined the recipe somewhat. The last batch, I used pinto beans. They worked well, but they seem to absorb more water. So, I now recommend 11 ounces of water for a loaf of the baked bread and 12 ounces of water for the flat bread. My family very much enjoys the flat bread. I do seem to get a better rise with the pinto beans.

Cobalt is correct, my local thrift store gets $8 for a bread machine. I have two: a Hitachi and and an Oster. If you look closely at the internal working of the bread machines, about 90% of them are made by the same company, so many of the parts are interchangeable. (I commonly wear out the bearing in the bottom of the bread pan because I make bread 3-4 times per week.) This also means 90% of the bread machines in your local thrift store are going to have the same operation, buttons, and settings. The Oster I bought today is a back-up for the Hitachi which is a higher-quality machine. It's much quieter and more durable. I did have to take it apart and bypass a silly saftey switch that had worn out and caused the machine to shut off because it thought I did not have the bread pan in when I did.

I do respectfully disagree on the bulk yeast thing. Bulk yeast is much higher quality and it will keep a long, long time in the freezer. (Up to a year) Yeast is a living organism and each brand is a slightly different variety of the same organism. (Like the difference between a German Shepherd and Chihuahua--same animal, different breed.)

Oh, and if you closely read the label on the grocery store Ezekiel bread, some of the grains used have been sprouted, then dried and ground. This is the same process used in making malt beverages and it changes the chemical configuration of the grain. The grocery store stuff is also hideously expensive. (Yes, I am the cheapest guy in the world.)

A cast iron corn mill suitable for grinding grains is about $25 and they last a lifetime. You can also make your own corn meal or masa de harina. (For some real fun, try growing your own corn, then turning it into homemade tortillas. Google up "nixtimalization" before you undertake this very rewarding adventure. Nixtimalization is powerful evidence of God's love for people because without it, the nutrients in corn would be indigestible and a vast percentage of the world which relies on corn as their staple food would die of malnutrtion.)

Fascinating stuff, but I appear to have slipped into a lengthy epsiode of Cliff Clayvinism. :)

God bless all. May you be richly fed on His word.

DanL

Sign in to follow this