• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

What is the gift of prophecy and how would one know if they have it?

In Jesus Name,

Gary

When One Truly Speaks

But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.

And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them. 1 Samuel 8:6-7

The Word Of God

And it came to pass, that when Jeremiah had made an end of speaking unto all the people all the words of the LORD their God, for which the LORD their God had sent him to them, even all these words, Then spake Azariah the son of Hoshaiah, and Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the proud men, saying unto Jeremiah, Thou speakest falsely: the LORD our God hath not sent thee to say, Go not into Egypt to sojourn there: Jeremiah 43:1-2

When One Truly Speaks

But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.

And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them. 1 Samuel 8:6-7

The Word Of God

And it came to pass, that when Jeremiah had made an end of speaking unto all the people all the words of the LORD their God, for which the LORD their God had sent him to them, even all these words, Then spake Azariah the son of Hoshaiah, and Johanan the son of Kareah, and all the proud men, saying unto Jeremiah, Thou speakest falsely: the LORD our God hath not sent thee to say, Go not into Egypt to sojourn there: Jeremiah 43:1-2

Thank you brother Joe, your addition is most welcome and enlightening. Do you have any more?

Gary

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Here we go: It's going to be a bumpy ride, so put your seat belts on ;)

Getting serious now, Gary, do you define a difference between an OT prophet and NT prophet or the way the gift

functions/functionned?

See, for my own part, I have noticed that a person (and for clairity's sake here let's define person as a Joe Blow, general

John Doe public person and not lasso anyone on these threads. I think if we keep our heads clear on that, we may

have a better definition with a better basis in the reality of scripture)

As I was saying, for my own part, I have noticed that those (again Joe general) who define prophecy in a manner that

seems to be of the: Thus saith the Lord variety, define their position from the Old Testament.

But, is this the definition in all truth? What does the NT have to say about prophecy and what part does the Holy Spirit

contribute in either testament and should we compare and if we do and find a difference, what then?

Oh yeah, I could spell out what I think, but where's the fun in that?

BTW, everyone (IMO) who seems to be a little short on the definition always manages to state that it is someone

who speaks for the Lord and whose prophecies come to pass. I see that as a non sequitor

I would really like a study on this so I hope we can have one (I don't mean just you and me, but I hope others will

be willing to actually study the Bible and not just give opinions)

Sorry if I sound full of myself...I am just being blunt...pressed for time..so sorry

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.32
  • Days Won:  67

1 Corinthians 13:8

New King James Version (NKJV)

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

According to scripture there are gifts that will cease, which is why there has always been a debate over this topic, the question of course being is when they cease. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances, I do not have access to all of my notes anymore, but I do recall that in the original Greek there were two different words used in this passage regarding these three specific gifts. The word used for knowledge and prophecy ceasing meant they would cease when someone or something acts on them to cause them to cease.

Matthew 5:17-18

New King James Version (NKJV)

Christ Fulfills the Law

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Jesus is the fulfillment, and the revelation of John was the completion of the bible and the new testament. What need would we have for prophecy today when the Word of God has been completed already? Who has something more to add about what lays ahead than what the Lord revealed Himself, or what He revealed to John to share with us in revelation?

Now there's a different answer, but not unexpected.....the plot thickens (being light hearted today but I can assure everyone that I am still

frumpy underneath )...laughing at myself

Now there's a different answer, but not unexpected.....the plot thickens (being light hearted today but I can assure everyone that I am still

Lol sorry, don't mean to stir the pot or anything, but just sharing what I believe pertains to prophecy, no offense intended of course. Oh, and just to clarify so no one misunderstands me, I do believe God still speaks to us through His word ;)

Lol sorry, don't mean to stir the pot or anything, but just sharing what I believe pertains to prophecy, no offense intended of course. Oh, and just to clarify so no one misunderstands me, I do believe God still speaks to us through His word ;)

It's not my thread but stir away! I keep bumping into you everywhere so I had better be polite, eh?

It's not my thread but stir away! I keep bumping into you everywhere so I had better be polite, eh?

Lol, well I have never seen you not being polite, so wouldn't expect any different now :)

Thanks for the replies. I don't have time today to give to my own thoughts but will when the Lord permits. It is one minute past my bedtime as we speak, well I should have gone to be an hour ago but I try hard to make it before 10:30....now two minutes...but there are more threads!....I digress....goodnight.

Gary