• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I'm with you here. This applies when one comes in the name of the Lord and says thus saith the Lord. When God speaks to a prophet and the prophet takes those particular words to God's people, then the prophet is not going to be in error or he is no prophet of God.

When I spoke of a prophet making mistakes, I was thinking more along the lines of the prophet who led the other prophet to be eaten by a lion due to disobedience. That prophet never saw it coming but was deceived instead. Thus showing that not all is always revealed unto the prophets.

This discussion is becoming fruitful for me as well as my personal study that I am conducting on the side. I'm wondering if there is a difference between having the gift of prophecy and simply having ones understanding enlightened to comprehend that which is prophetic in scripture. More study needed.

Thanks for the participation in the thread to date.

Gary

I am not certain about the matter of the prophet being devoured by the lion as I cannot recall the story, perhaps you could point me to the scripture and I could provide something helpful in regards to it. I don't want to respond on a matter that is escaping my memory though. As far as is there a difference between the gift of prophecy and the understanding of scripture I would say yes, absolutely. I believe sevenseas referenced this in an earlier post, wisdom or knowledge would certainly fit under that banner so to speak. I have enjoyed discussing this as well, hopefully we all grow from the discussion, God bless.

1 Kings 13.

I am going to continue to work at understanding this as God would have me. Thanks for sharing.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

What is the gift of prophecy and how would one know if they have it?

In Jesus Name,

Gary

According to the Biblical record, prophetic utterance was used by God's shepards to encourage, guide and teach. It does not necessarily refer to predictions of the future. Those who like to have their ears tickled by such things are spiritually irresponsible. The principle revelation of God to man is salvation - that man needs it, that man can find it, what to do with it and what to expect from it. The salvation message is the primary reason for God's word to man. Predictions of the future are meant to direct the believer's attention to the time of redemption - the ultimate end of the salvation message. Between the time of Adam's curse and Christ's second advent, the history of God's people has been filled with the words of the prophets, words that were mostly unpopular in their time.

Read the words for our own time written by a man foremost in the gift and use of prophecy.

"If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discernment, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in Christianity, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that their very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it."

- Charles Finney

I say to you - do NOT desire the gift of prophecy unless you wish to become a very very unpopular fellow. The ears of men today do not want to hear the truth. As a result, God has withdrawn the truth from utterance and allowed men to run after their own pompous foolishness. True prophecy is not, and never has been, a form of entertainment. If entertainment is what you seek, look for it elsewhere for you will not find it in the pages of Holy Writ.

"I hate...your festivals, says the Lord, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies" (5:21).

I will send a famine on the land: not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of

hearing the words of the Lord."

Amos (8:11).

In the last days, people will have "a form of godliness," but it will not be based solidly on the Scriptures

2 Timothy 3:15; 4:14

Timothy said it straight. We have arrived at the end.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by rjp34652

In Jesus Name,

Gary

According to the Biblical record, prophetic utterance was used by God's shepards to encourage, guide and teach. It does not necessarily refer to predictions of the future. Those who like to have their ears tickled by such things are spiritually irresponsible. The principle revelation of God to man is salvation - that man needs it, that man can find it, what to do with it and what to expect from it. The salvation message is the primary reason for God's word to man. Predictions of the future are meant to direct the believer's attention to the time of redemption - the ultimate end of the salvation message. Between the time of Adam's curse and Christ's second advent, the history of God's people has been filled with the words of the prophets, words that were mostly unpopular in their time.

Read the words for our own time written by a man foremost in the gift and use of prophecy.

"If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discernment, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in Christianity, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that their very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it."

- Charles Finney

I say to you - do NOT desire the gift of prophecy unless you wish to become a very very unpopular fellow. The ears of men today do not want to hear the truth. As a result, God has withdrawn the truth from utterance and allowed men to run after their own pompous foolishness. True prophecy is not, and never has been, a form of entertainment. If entertainment is what you seek, look for it elsewhere for you will not find it in the pages of Holy Writ.

"I hate...your festivals, says the Lord, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies" (5:21).

I will send a famine on the land: not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of

hearing the words of the Lord."

Amos (8:11).

In the last days, people will have "a form of godliness," but it will not be based solidly on the Scriptures

2 Timothy 3:15; 4:14

Timothy said it straight. We have arrived at the end.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Great post. I am learning well. Now you better start using that choir loft for some singing!

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/17/1942

In Jesus Name,

Gary

The best book that I have read on this is by Graham Cooke and is titled "Developing your prophetic gifting." He explains in detail the different levels of todays prophesy with examples.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/29/1963

"I sincerely believe the sun will rise tomorrow" is vastly different from "God tells me that the sun will rise tomorrow". One is a conviction, the other is dissembling. I think that there is a gift of prophecy but that it is far rarer than some would have us believe.

No matter how many times they invoke the Saviour's name.

Edited by BrianCade

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

"I sincerely believe the sun will rise tomorrow" is vastly different from "God tells me that the sun will rise tomorrow". One is a conviction, the other is dissembling. I think that there is a gift of prophecy but that it is far rarer than some would have us believe.

Amen to that!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Brother Gary, I wish I could reveal in great light what the Gift of Prophecy is and what is the difference between it and the Gift of Knowledge (not talking about Bible Knowledge in which we learn by study). I am sure that one who "has" the Gifts will know it when they have it. I put has in quotes because the gift is not ours it belongs to the one that is blessed by it, put it is the world vernacular, we channel it from God to the one God want to bless with it. I am ignorant and unlearned as well.

How exactly did you think that what you had to add to the thread was going to shed light upon the truth? What scripture did you base what you 'think' upon? You assert that a man who says that God told him the sun will rise tomorrow is hiding his true motives. Where is this 'truth' found in scripture that I may learn?

What I need here is true help and not opinion based upon the eyes of the understanding that were opened in the garden of Eden that are not truly enlightened. Something began speaking to me internally in what I would call a 'still small voice' that directed me through the scriptures and began to claim that certain things were true and prophesied of events in our day. I need to know how to determine whether it is of God or not. If anyone has any solid biblical understanding that can show by scripture how this can be resolved so that I can either abandon it or proclaim it from the housetops even if they drag me out and stone me, by all means please help a brother out. I am absolutely miserable over this.

Please submit all responses with scripture and work to teach me that I may learn.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

In Jesus Name,

Gary

The best book that I have read on this is by Graham Cooke and is titled "Developing your prophetic gifting." He explains in detail the different levels of todays prophesy with examples.

When I see books titles like this, I am reminded that this is a gift of the Holy Spirit and cannot be developed as a skill. He moves in the believer and speaks through the believer. All the believer has to develop is to get out of His way, becoming a vessel for His use.

There is a "School of Prophecy" in my area where people go the learn how to be a prophet. This is just another wayward group of believers wanting to be considered a prophet. When we are given a gift of the Spirit, He chooses us, we do not choose the gift. We are told to desire the gift, but the gift is not something one can learn in any school of book.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

When I see books titles like this, I am reminded that this is a gift of the Holy Spirit and cannot be developed as a skill. He moves in the believer and speaks through the believer. All the believer has to develop is to get out of His way, becoming a vessel for His use.

There is a "School of Prophecy" in my area where people go the learn how to be a prophet. This is just another wayward group of believers wanting to be considered a prophet. When we are given a gift of the Spirit, He chooses us, we do not choose the gift. We are told to desire the gift, but the gift is not something one can learn in any school of book.

While I side with what your saying here Alan, I had a scripture that came to mind.

2Ti 1:6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

This is a practice that I partake in daily through invoking the Spirit of God in prayer and praise, which I would believe that is what you are referring to when you state the believer must get out of the way. Dying to self and living for God so to speak. So in essence what I am saying is that the gifts are just that, gifts, even as the Holy Spirit itself is a gift of God. We must 'stir up the gift' which is a word that means 'revive' or 'rekindle'. A word that tends to the 'relationship' side of our walk in him.

This helps to clarify my own personal dilemma in this thread as the question must be 'what' am I stirring up inside of me?

Thanks for the comment.

Gary