GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Non-Christians often bring up this passage to say that Christianity and more specifically the Bible limit the liberties of women. I was wanting to get others thoughts on the subject.

Ephesians 5:22-24

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

What do you think of this passage?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,090
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, you can't really get the context of this without also keeping how husbands are to treat wives....... We are to love our wives as Jesus loves the church...... and he sufferec beatings and gave his very life for us.... he gave up his position of being in the form of God to help us through things we could not do for ourselves

Now this part of that section of scripture that you are referring to doesn't make as much sense without the context of the husband.

If a husband is doing his part, the wife should have no problem with doing her part.

When a husband is not loving his wife, then problems arise and it can get to the point that she might need to take her problem to the church for help. but she should do her part. And husbands should do their part even if the wives are not doing theirs....... and take it to the church if she isn't and let the elder ladies of the church help.

Just my two cents.

Edited to add a personal observation..... in the 42 years of our marriage, i've done my part 90% of the time..... and during those times I do believe my wife would have followed me to the ends of the world. The other ten percent of the time....... well I didn't get what I deserved and I thank God for that LoL

Edited by other one

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Well, you can't really get the context of this without also keeping how husbands are to treat wives....... We are to love our wives as Jesus loves the church...... and he sufferec beatings and gave his very life for us.... he gave up his position of being in the form of God to help us through things we could not do for ourselves

Now this part of that section of scripture that you are referring to doesn't make as much sense without the context of the husband.

If a husband is doing his part, the wife should have no problem with doing her part.

When a husband is not loving his wife, then problems arise and it can get to the point that she might need to take her problem to the church for help. but she should do her part. And husbands should do their part even if the wives are not doing theirs....... and take it to the church if she isn't and let the elder ladies of the church help.

Just my two cents.

Edited to add a personal observation..... in the 42 years of our marriage, i've done my part 90% of the time..... and during those times I do believe my wife would have followed me to the ends of the world. The other ten percent of the time....... well I didn't get what I deserved and I thank God for that LoL

Hello other one:

I think we are in the same boat?? In the beginning of my marriage I was so "self centered" I took a lot away from my wife. It has been in the last twenty five years that I have tried to make up for it. Over all the years (49) she has loved me and done her 110%. I really thank the Lord for her and putting up with a "jerk."

Your servant in Christ,

the Xjerk, charlesj

Just my two cents.

Hello other one:

I think we are in the same boat?? In the beginning of my marriage I was so "self centered" I took a lot away from my wife. It has been in the last twenty five years that I have tried to make up for it. Over all the years (49) she has loved me and done her 110%. I really thank the Lord for her and putting up with a "jerk."

Your servant in Christ,

the Xjerk, charlesj

LoL, I can certainly relate to all that...... I believe it was "Typical Red Neck Jerk" that the Lord laid on my heart one night. It can be really devastating when the Lord opens your eyes to yourself. I was kind of stunned, and when I opened up my Bible and read, it was that verse that told husbands to love their wives...... then the thought came so strong that I know it was from him....... "Aren't you glad I don't treat you what way." It know it must have come from her prayers. If humans could be deity my wife would be a goddess

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Non-Christians often bring up this passage to say that Christianity and more specifically the Bible limit the liberties of women. I was wanting to get others thoughts on the subject.

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.

I see this more of a freedom than a limitation. The man is responsible for all he allows to go on in the family, which places him at the top. Yet, he is to love his wife as Christ loves the church, even to death. If a man loves his wife in such a manner, he will ensure she has the best God can give.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I see this more of a freedom than a limitation. The man is responsible for all he allows to go on in the family, which places him at the top. Yet, he is to love his wife as Christ loves the church, even to death. If a man loves his wife in such a manner, he will ensure she has the best God can give.

Regarding Eph 5:22-24 – The word “submit” can also be interpreted “honor.” Just as a woman honors God she is to honor her husband. But context is important. We can see the passage in context isn’t simply speaking to wives.

In context it would be good to look at Ephesians 5:21-33 for a clearer understanding of verses 22-24.

Vs. 21: “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” Christians are to honor and think of others first. The whole love your neighbor as yourself is applicable here. Doesn’t always happen granted but that is the command.

Vs. 25-30: “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body.” Husbands are to model to their wives the sacrificial love of Christ to the Church. Husbands are to cherish their wives and love them as their own bodies.

Vs 32: “This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.” In context the passage is to be a mirror example of Christ and the Church.

So in context the passage referenced is a picture of Christ and the Church to be modeled in marriage. People often overlook the verse before the verses mentioned (22-24) and the verses following. It is the husband’s responsibility to sacrificially love his wife and imitate Christ. Notice the passage doesn’t say Husbands love your wife if she respects you and when you feel like it. Nope. Or Wives honor your husband’s when he’s loving towards you and you feel like it. Nope.

I don’t dispute the husband should be the spiritual head of the home. Christ elevated the role of women and children in that those who are adopted into his family are now joint heirs with Christ. (Romans 8:17) Christian men are not superior to Christian women. Christian Father’s are not superior to Christian sons OR Christian daughters. Finally, Christian Husbands are NOT superior to Christian Wives in God’s eyes. All have different roles but are of equal value to the Lord.

Vs. 33: Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Why is this passage significant?

For men? Because men might be prone to respect their wives but loving them unconditionally might be somewhat difficult. For women? Because women often have a tendency to love their husbands but sometimes can find it hard to honor them unconditionally. At least that is the implication.

For the record I don’t believe in emotional, physical, sexual, or spiritual abuse. I believe there is a strong case against abuse in the Bible. Anyone who practices abuse is not acting according to the teachings of the Bible.

I recommend “Love and Respect” by Emerson Eggerichs. Have any of you read this?

Thoughts? Am I not looking at this passage correctly?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Equal in salvation, I agree. There will be no gender in the next life and we all will be the same, while some will have different offices than others.

What I did not see in your post was that the man, being the head of his family in Christ, having the responsibility of his family on him, will stand in judgment for what he allowed to happen in his family, not what happened without his approval. If I tell my child to do something, and my child obeys, but gets in trouble for his actions, the responsibility is on me, not my child, who was honoring me, the father, by obeying. If I tell my child NOT to do something, and he does, and gets in trouble, the responsibility is on him for being disobedient.

Equal in salvation, I agree. There will be no gender in the next life and we all will be the same, while some will have different offices than others.

What scripture do you find to come to that conclusion. I've been thinking of this subject, and the Bible is a really big book..... can you save me tome time??

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The common argument here is that Christ changed everything and it is not like it was back in the OT days anymore. Somebody forgot to tell Peter (he's always the last to know) and he chose to write to wives telling them to model their obedience as per Sarah and old time holy women who trusted in God. He specifically noted that Sarah referred to Abraham as lord or the ultimate authority in her life in her heart and not just of lip service. Women should be held to the utmost high standard and treated as if they are better than all the treasure of the earth by their men but that doesn't change the way it has always been. Praise God for creating women! But as for Satan who took advantage of them through deceit and became the father of all those who would continue in his way.....God be judge. He started with women but eventually pulled the wool over the eyes of entire nations.

Gary