IGNORED

Should the Bride of Christ Return to its Hebrew Roots?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Not sure what you mean by that?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Not sure what you mean by that?

I am protecting myself from getting in trouble with the staff. Right, it is better not to post if you fear you will write something inappropriate, I have to think things out, or move on.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

So, as Christians, we get to pick and choose parts of the old testament to follow.

The Ten Commandments .... oh, I don't like observing the Sabbath .... lets make it 9 Commandments ...

But my Pastor says we should Tithe.... I guess we're back up to 10 commandments ...

How do YOU rationalize your sin?

I'm pretty sure its laid out in black, white, and red. You don't have to add to it. And you shouldn't take away from it either.

So, as Christians, we get to pick and choose parts of the old testament to follow.

The Ten Commandments .... oh, I don't like observing the Sabbath .... lets make it 9 Commandments ...

But my Pastor says we should Tithe.... I guess we're back up to 10 commandments ...

I'm pretty sure its laid out in black, white, and red. You don't have to add to it. And you shouldn't take away from it either.

We have a fight-picker in our midst. Fight, Fight! :clap:

Tracker Jack, your a newbie here and you are already accusing us of sin, not a way to fit in, and make friends.

Have you heard of the Grace of God?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Roman 8

God doesn't condemn us of sin, yet you in your exalted cleanness and purity do. :-)

I am sorry Tracker Jack, for being so nasty and I am sorry, Golden Eagle, for bringing nasty to your thread.

This is one offense of mine that the Mod's should have caught, i called Jack a Newbie, I have been a member since 20006 and that doesn't make me anything, we are all accountable.

I tried my best to make amend's.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

No, Gentiles are not required to become Jews. (Just as Jews should not be required to become Gentiles - I know that's another debate, but this is how 'the Church" has treated the Jews the past 1900 years.)

However, there is no indication the original congregations (where the Gentile-believers came from the group of "God-fearers" who sat in on the Synagogue meetings) did not honor such things as gathering on the Jewish Sabbath, celebrating the Feasts of the Lord, . . . basically worshiping God as the Jews did.

Right, early Christians were primarily Jews. Jews were leaders of the Church. So it is natural to follow to propose that the early church worshipped God by celebrating Jewish festivals. However…

There is a difference between the obligation to the Law and that of free-will celebration.

I agree the celebration of Jewish feasts is a freedom not an obligation for Gentiles.

I've participated in a few Passover Seders, and the parallels of the ceremony elements to the sacrifice/death of Jesus and hope for His resurrection and return are quite remarkable - even the traditions that had developed over the years (i.e. the Hidden Matza).

It was also an eye-opener to discover that "Pentecost" is the Greek word used for the Jewish Feast of Weeks, the feast celebrating the Giving of the Law. The parallel being that 50 days after Jesus rose, the New Law was given. (The prophecy of writing the Law on our hearts.)

Then it was pointed out to me how Jesus died at the same time the the Passover Lamb was sacrificed at the Temple.

And Jesus rose from the dead on the day the Jews were celebrating the Feast of First Fruits.

Can you see that these Feasts were designed by the Lord for His people to join into His Passion?

I agree that partaking in Jewish feasts can be eye openers. I’ve participated in several Jewish Passover Seders. They were quite a stretching, eye opening experience.

My concern is when people take things to the extreme and say that everyone to be a Christian must partake of these feasts.

The Hebrew roots we need to pursue is biblical understanding. Looking at the old testament the way the apostles read and taught the OT. We should have never left our Hebrew roots when it comes to biblical understanding. The scriptures are more than history and literature and for the most part that is the way we have been taught them. It isn't wrong to learn that way but we will never see the depth and flow of scripture thinking in those terms. We need to take things further.

So yes, the bride needs to return to her Hebrew roots.

There is so much sense and logic in your comment.

I agree with Zemke especially this sentence in bold. Once again my concern is for people not to become legalistic about it. And of course the other concern is for those who do this to not fall away from the faith in Christ.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

a. So, as Christians, we get to pick and choose parts of the old testament to follow.

b. The Ten Commandments .... oh, I don't like observing the Sabbath .... lets make it 9 Commandments ...

c. But my Pastor says we should Tithe.... I guess we're back up to 10 commandments ...

d. How do YOU rationalize your sin?

e. I'm pretty sure its laid out in black, white, and red. You don't have to add to it. And you shouldn't take away from it either.

Hi TrackerJack. I’m not sure who this is directed towards. I wanted to remind us all of what I posted in the OP. “Let us remember humility, as Believers we are heirs of God with Christ. (Philippians 2:3; 1 Peter 5:5, Romans 8:17) Remember we are to seek restoration with a spirit of gentleness. (Galatians 6:1) We are to be kind and tenderhearted to one another. (Ephesians 5:32)

As to your comments/questions:

a. As Christians we are free from the bondage of the law (Gal. 5:1 and Rom. 8:2). We Gentile Christians are free from Jewish Ceremonial laws such as circumcision (Acts 15:1-29). Even though on a side note I think there are good reasons to get circumcised.

b. I agree the Sabbath in the OT is the day of rest dedicated to God. But ware not to live our lives and worship God on just one day of the week. As Christians our bodies are God’s temple (1 Cor. 6:19-20). We are free in Christ (Gal. 5:1 and Rom. 8:2). We are to commit our way to the Lord, trust Him, and our ways will be established (Psalm 37:5, Prov. 16:3) Today Christians celebrate God’s grace often on Sundays which is the day many believe Christ rose from the dead.

c. We are instructed to give what God lays on our hearts cheerfully. (2 Cor. 9:7) A tenth of our income (or tithe) is just a start I believe. However, is a thread on this topic if you would like to discuss tithing further:

d. Personally, I don’t try to rationalize my sin. When I do God reminds me of my shortcomings and His Holy Spirit convicts me.

e. I’m not sure what we’re talking about. What is being added to the Bible or taken away? Please clarify.

We have a fight-picker in our midst. Fight, Fight!

God doesn't condemn us of sin, yet you in your exalted cleanness and purity do. :-)

Monarchy, I appreciate your encouragement brother throughout this thread to me. However, see above comments in bold. This is not very helpful would you agree? Especially considering Tracker Jack as you mentioned is newer to the forum than you. ;) Please let’s try to discuss these things in a spirit of humility, kindness, tenderheartedness, gentleness, and in a spirit of restoration. Also let us remember how to confront brothers/sisters in love (Matthew 18:15-19).

To both of you I ask that you receive this with the spirit in which it was intended. God bless you!

Humbly In Christ,

Eagle

Edited by GoldenEagle

Monarchy, I appreciate your encouragement brother throughout this thread to me. However, see above comments in bold. This is not very helpful would you agree? Especially considering Tracker Jack as you mentioned is newer to the forum than you. ;) Please let’s try to discuss these things in a spirit of humility, kindness, tenderheartedness, gentleness, and in a spirit of restoration. Also let us remember how to confront brothers/sisters in love (Matthew 18:15-19).

To both of you I ask that you receive this with the spirit in which it was intended. God bless you!

I receive that way, Brother! His wrong doesn't justify my wrong. :1: Darn, I hate to admit this, but I just got though saying that God doesn't condemn and I turn around and condemned.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My concern is when people take things to the extreme and say that everyone to be a Christian must partake of these feasts.

Likewise, it grieves me when Christians treat the Feasts as bondage and respond in arms against Gentile-Christians celebrating them for any reason. :(

The Hebrew roots we need to pursue is biblical understanding. Looking at the old testament the way the apostles read and taught the OT. We should have never left our Hebrew roots when it comes to biblical understanding. The scriptures are more than history and literature and for the most part that is the way we have been taught them. It isn't wrong to learn that way but we will never see the depth and flow of scripture thinking in those terms. We need to take things further.

So yes, the bride needs to return to her Hebrew roots.

There is so much sense and logic in your comment.

I agree with Zemke especially this sentence in bold. Once again my concern is for people not to become legalistic about it. And of course the other concern is for those who do this to not fall away from the faith in Christ.

"...the Greeks desire knowledge."

The Christianity we grew up with is a Greek-based religion, built and established upon knowledge.

The Ancient Jewish faith (which is different from modern Judaism, in case you didn't know), was - believe it or not - established on experience. This is how Eastern thought works. If you notice the OT speaks more of man's experience with God than it does teaching. Even the Torah is rooted and grounded on experiences, if you look closely.

I believe this is more along the lines of what Selene meant. We need to read the Bible though Hebrew eyes rather than Greek eyes.

I hope you understand that of which I speak.

The Christianity we grew up with is a Greek-based religion, built and established upon knowledge.

The Ancient Jewish faith (which is different from modern Judaism, in case you didn't know), was - believe it or not - established on experience. This is how Eastern thought works. If you notice the OT speaks more of man's experience with God than it does teaching. Even the Torah is rooted and grounded on experiences, if you look closely.

I believe this is more along the lines of what Selene meant. We need to read the Bible though Hebrew eyes rather than Greek eyes.

I hope you understand that of which I speak.

On this (bolded) point, I agree with you, Neb, but to say, it is totally bad, I don't know, I've got to go away and think on it.