• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Something I came across to think about:

Covenant vs. Contract

A covenant is based on trust - A contract is based on distrust

A covenant is based on unlimited responsibility - A contract is based on limited liability

A covenant is lifelong and not to be broken - A contract can be voided by mutual consent

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

That and God hates divorce. Marriage must be seen as a covenant between man/woman and God and eachother. A covenant is not like a contract, it was never meant to be broken.

It's interesting that a lot of people like to use that verse and fail to acknowledge the fact that God DOES allow divorce for adultery and desertion. Why is that?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Covenant vs. Contract

A covenant is based on unlimited responsibility - A contract is based on limited liability

A covenant is lifelong and not to be broken - A contract can be voided by mutual consent

I don't have my bible handy, but "A three strand cord is not easily broken"

God, husband and wife - a three strand covenant.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

That and God hates divorce. Marriage must be seen as a covenant between man/woman and God and eachother. A covenant is not like a contract, it was never meant to be broken.

It's interesting that a lot of people like to use that verse and fail to acknowledge the fact that God DOES allow divorce for adultery and desertion. Why is that?

That is simple enough. God hates sin, ans the reasons He allows divorce for adultery is because it is a sin. Divorcing for desertion is new to me. Where is that found in scripture?

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

That is simple enough. God hates sin, ans the reasons He allows divorce for adultery is because it is a sin. Divorcing for desertion is new to me. Where is that found in scripture?

Isn't desertion considered a type of divorce? It is the putting away of, right? I know Cobalt touched on it in another thread on marriage where I spoke of my wife having left our home to live elsewhere.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

ok, so please clarify. is the desertion thing biblically founded? i don't remember reading that anywhere at all.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Covenant vs. Contract

I don't have my bible handy, but "A three strand cord is not easily broken"

God, husband and wife - a three strand covenant.

Ecc. 4:9-12

9 Two are better than one,

Because they have a good reward for their labor.

10 For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.

But woe to him who is alone when he falls,

For he has no one to help him up.

11 Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;

But how can one be warm alone?

12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.

And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.

Jesus was asked a similar question...

Matt. 19:3-9

3 The Pharisees also came to Him, testing Him, and saying to Him, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for just any reason?”

4 And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made[a] them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’[b] 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?[c] 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

7 They said to Him, “Why then did Moses command to give a certificate of divorce, and to put her away?”

8 He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality,[d] and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

ok, so please clarify. is the desertion thing biblically founded? i don't remember reading that anywhere at all.

I'm guessing here...but he is probably referring to the principle in 1 Corinthians 7:12-16

But to the rest I, not the Lord, say: If any brother has a wife who does not believe, and she is willing to live with him, let him not divorce her. And a woman who has a husband who does not believe, if he is willing to live with her, let her not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy. But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace. For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

This speaks specifically to an unbeliever leaving a believer.

As far as the matter of a (believing) husband or wife walking out on their (believing) spouse, that is to say abandonment...that is a matter of some debate.

Edited by Mcgyver

Ps. 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Interesting question.

Matt. 5:31-32

31 “Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I {Jesus} say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery; and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

Luke 16:18

18 Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.

1 Cor. 7:10-11, 15

10 Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband. 11 But even if she does depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband. And a husband is not to divorce his wife.

15 But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.

Yet is divorce an unpardonable sin? I would say no. God hates divorce but he is faithful to forgive our sins.

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 3:19

Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out,

God bless,

GE