• Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Feel any better????

:emot-hug: Gary

Dinner went alright, but the 'mild' sausage wasn't so 'mild' and my wife couldn't eat it. I, on the other hand, loved every morsel. Now I am relaxing in front of the computer....coughing. Sigh*

:)

Gary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

So here I sit in my computer chair staring at all that has been said above. I'm coughing and congested. I just finished a full day of work because I cannot take anymore time off. I had to stop and pick up something for dinner because my wife had to take my son to a doctor appointment two hours away and needs my support. I rebuked the sickness and reminded it that Jesus bore it upon the tree but it did not listen because I don't have enough faith to make it leave. And I am having financial difficulty and come here simply to find out that one cannot be broke and serve God.

To anyone who would be so cruel to suggest such hurtful things and cast doubt upon anothers faith, I simply sit with Job and reply:

Job 16:2 I have heard many such things: miserable comforters [are] ye all.

I wanted to get to this yesterday but didn't get the time. God loves you Gary very much. You are His dear son and joint heir with Christ!

I. Can God Heal or provide as we ask Him? I believe He can. Does He always choose to do so? I believe He doesn’t.

I prayed for healing for my aunt who has cancer. God healed her through modern medicine. God's answer was yes.

I prayed for my dad who had bypass surgery at a very young age (late 40's) as the widow maker artery was 95% clogged. He went in for a check up due to pain in his arm. They had surgery next day. God healed him through modern medicine. God's answer was yes.

Another aunt has Perkiness disease. We have prayed for healing. No healing has come. God has said wait. Is God not good and sovereign if He doesn't heal my aunt? If He doesn't heal her does that mean we have not had enough faith or that somehow God cannot use this to somehow bring Honor to His name?

I know of a young wife who's husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor after only 2 years of marriage. Wow that would be very hard. The man finally had surgery and the doctors were able to remove the tumor. At first he could not walk as he was paralyzed. But God healed him enough to where he can walk now. The man still has trouble with memory and his eye sight. They have prayed for healing but it has not come. Is God not good and sovereign if He doesn't completely cure (memory & eye sight) this young lady's husband? Does God have the right to say "No, my grace is sufficient for you. Through your weakness and your trials you will bring honor to My Name. You will bless others through this and point others through Christ. "?

Bottom line: Is God not sovereign to say no to a request we have?

The young wife’s name is Laura Story. Her husband’s name is Martin. She wrote the song “Blessings” as well as others. Would her ministry to those who are suffering be the same without the trials of her husband’s health? http://www.songlyric...essings-lyrics/

She says she believes God can heal if He wills it. She said God is 100% powerful. She said God is 100% loving. So that means putting those two together that means healing for her husband.

But the most important thing she said is... “You don’t want to hear this. This is – yuck. Sometimes God gives us what we need instead of what we want. Sometimes God lets us stay broken so that God’s light can bream through.

II. I believe God's answers are: A) Yes B) No or C) Wait

I think first I want to emphasize 2 Peter 1:20 "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

If someone would like to disagree with me that is fine as long as there is Biblical backing. I am speaking of what God has taught me is all.

Here’s a few examples from Scripture...

Yes – God granted the request Jabez made of Him. (1 Chron 4:10)

Yes – Hannah prayed for a baby. God gave her Samuel. (1 Sam. 1 & 2)

Yes – Elijah prayed for God to show His power to the followers of Baal. (1 Kings 18:20-40)

Wait – How long did Job have to wait before God restored him and even blessed him more than what he’d had before?

Wait – How long did Joseph have to wait before he was free and re-united with his brothers?

Wait – How long did Simeon await the Messiah (Luke 2)

No – Paul asked God in to take away his ailment 3 times and God said no. (2 Cor. 12:7-10)

No – David was not to build the temple. (1 Chron. 28:3)

No – God said no to Abraham’s request for God to accept Ishmael instead of Isaac as the promised son.

Do I believe there is Biblical backing for saying when people suffer (financially, physically, or heath related) it is because of their own sin? No. This is errant theology that cannot be backed Biblically and leads to spiritual abuse in my estimation.

Bottom line: We are free in Christ to disagree with Brother Mike. (Gal 5:1 & Rom. 8:2)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

This topic hits really close to home for me these days as I have had a lot placed upon my plate, the Lord asking me to continue in faith though things don't look real good. And all I find myself wanting to do is come home and study 1 Cor 13 so that I can respond appropriately to the things that are happening around me, being the example to the others who are going through them with me. God is love and gives us what we need. Unfortunately sometimes that looks like a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to beat on us to keep us from getting lifted up in pride due to all that has been revealed unto us. No matter what the case, we need to comfort one another and not seek to tear each other down saying hurtful things like you just don't have enough faith or aren't serving God so your broke. Let each esteem others better than self.

Anyone got a cough drop or the gift of healing they might like to lay hands on a poor sick brother and heal?

Gary

There is the concept of the Greek word Hupomeno.

James 1:12 (NASB) Blessed is a man who perseveres under {Humpomeno} trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

KJV: “Blessed is the man that endureth {Humpomeno} temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”

You see, trials aren't just for building us up, they are also used by God as an approval process. If we are really His children, if we are truly saved, our faith will endure the toughest of times. We demonstrate that we have new life by making it through this life, and then receiving the crown of life. Sometimes the call means to simply endure under pressure. Can we do this on our strength? No. We are to remain in God’s strength and love even during hard times. God will see us through.

Let me give you a personal example/witness. I graduated college in 2004. I assumed God would have a fantastic job awaiting me. I got a job at a retail store working on commission as a temporary solution to my need to pay for rent, food, gas, bills, etc. This temporary job lasted for nearly 7 years. During that time I had some very difficult and often poor managers. But God showed me through His grace that I was to endure and persevere. I was able to witness to many of my co-workers and even some managers. I was able to help out some as well financially. I also grew a lot through the process. God moved and stretched me. I realized that hard work pays off. And even if it doesn’t always pay doing the right thing is important. Why? Because I was working for God and not for men especially in the last 4-5 years at this retail job.

I also went back to school for a Masters degree in business (MBA) while at this retail job. I worked 40-60 hours a week, spent 3-5 hours driving in traffic to and from the university, and spent the rest of the time studying or going to classes. I fit in sleeping, eating, and fellowshipping with others Believers in there too. Plus on top of that God blessed me with the possibility of helping out in an apartment ministry outreach. Eventually I met my wife through that ministry. We now lead it in reaching others for Christ in a poorer section of town. I also was blessed to get a better job after finishing the MBA. I truly believe that God had me at that retail job to help others, point people to Christ, and teach me important lessons about enduring with His strength in tough times.

Definition

1. to remain

a. to tarry behind

2. to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee

a. to preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ

b. to endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments

Translated Word:

KJV (17) - abide, 1; endure, 11; patient, 1; suffer, 1; take patiently, 2; tarry behind, 1;

NAS (17) - endure, 3; endure...with patience, 1; endured, 5; endures, 3; patiently endure, 1; perseveres, 1; persevering, 1; remained, 1; stayed behind, 1;

Version/Book Number of times mentioned

KVJ

Matthew 2

Mark 1

Luke 1

Acts 1

Romans 1

1 Corinthians 1

2 Timothy 2

Hebrews 4

James 2

1 Peter 1

NASB

Matthew 2

Mark 1

Luke 1

Acts 1

Romans 1

1 Corinthians 1

2 Timothy 2

Hebrews 4

James 2

1 Peter 1

Edit: to correct formatting.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Which brings us back to the topic at hand. I believe the sentiment of those who are saying "God will never put more on us than we can handle" is that they are trying to point to the fact that the bible clearly states that we can 'endure' unto the end. Though we may personally be crushed in the process, we can endure. In which case I suggest that they who say such things are not exactly in error as is suggested in the OP. Just looking at things from a different perspective semantically I think.

Gary

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Of course He will never put more on us than He knows we can bear; I JUST WISH HE DIDN'T HAVE SO MUCH CONFIDENCE IN ME!