GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not the OP. Here’s all 7 threads relating to Legalism I’ve started…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the OP and subject/topic of this thread.

This is a spinoff from the thread in Inner Court - General Discussion "Spiritual Abuse - Defined and Dicussed."

See: http://www.worthychr...d/page__st__160

1. What is legalism?

2. How does one view it according to the Bible?

3. Have you experienced legalism from others in your life? If so how or from who in general?

4. How does one address in a Christ-like manner people who are wanting to impose their legalistic values on others?

Ground rules: Let us remember humility, as Believers we are heirs of God with Christ. (Philippians 2:3; 1 Peter 5:5, Romans 8:17) Remember we are to seek restoration with a spirit of gentleness. (Galatians 6:1) We are to be kind and tenderhearted to one another. (Ephesians 5:32)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

And grace without works is dead. We are saved by faith in Christ, and that faith will lead those truly saved to live a holy life. That includes the way we dress.

Quote from yr other thread......dressing is a work?

That is just plain bad theology. Works of the flesh would be more like it......works would be as scripture defines them:

taking care of widows, feeding the poor, etc.....dress code is not a work...a work of the flesh maybe

The Bible tells us to dress modestly. That is all the code we need

And grace without works is dead. We are saved by faith in Christ, and that faith will lead those truly saved to live a holy life. That includes the way we dress.

Quote from yr other thread......dressing is a work?

That is just plain bad theology. Works of the flesh would be more like it......works would be as scripture defines them:

taking care of widows, feeding the poor, etc.....dress code is not a work...a work of the flesh maybe

The Bible tells us to dress modestly. That is all the code we need

So to clarify to be holy one doesn't have to dress a certain way? So women don't have to just wear skirts (and not pants/shorts) for example?

Possible to get some Biblical backing with this idea? Opinions are great. God's Word is better. ;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

LEGALISM defines Christianity by OUTWARD appearances rather than an INWARD transformation.

Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes. Rom. 10:4

CHRIST IS THE END OF THE LAW. Paul asks the Galatians who has BEWITCHED them BECAUSE they were turning

from GRACE to follow rules and regulations

There is NO SALVATION in following rules or in DRESSING a certain way. There is salvation only in CHRIST

John, the Apostle John, said this; FOR THE LAW WAS GIVEN THROUGH MOSES;

GRACE AND TRUTH CAME THROUGH JESUS CHRIST John 1:17

Who are YOU to judge someone elses' servant? To his OWN master he stands or falls

AND HE WILL STAND FOR THE LORD IS ABLE TO MAKE HIM STAND!!! Rom 14:4

Salvation is from God...NOT man...God knows those who are His and He causes us to stand. HE leads us into ALL righteousness and truth

You, then, why do you judge your brother? or why do you look down on your brother? For we will ALL stand before God's judgement

seat. Rom 14:10

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Legalism is a device that self-centered pastors use to control the flocks. Grace however includes unconditional love that keeps a person in fellowship with God (even if we failed some) as Holy Spirit continues to perfect an "every Word of God" lifestyle of truth and purity.

2 Corinthians 3:6 AMP

[it is He] Who has qualified us [making us to be fit and worthy and sufficient] as ministers and dispensers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not [ministers] of the letter (of legally written code) but of the Spirit; for the code [of the Law] kills, but the [Holy] Spirit makes alive.

Edited by five

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I believe legalism is trying to earn favor with God apart from the final work of Christ on the cross.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I believe legalism is trying to earn favor with God apart from the final work of Christ on the cross.

I agree. Many years ago, before I was a Christian, I worked with a man who attended a very legalistic denomination (I'd name it, but because someone who reads this might attend there, I won't). Anyway, one day over lunch I asked him about his church, and he said they don't believe in musical instruments in the building, they say anyone who thinks God still does miracles is deceived by satan, they hold that unless a person is water baptized in their denomination they aren't truly saved, and so on. It seemed ... odd.

Legalism is a device that self-centered pastors use to control the flocks. Grace however includes unconditional love that keeps a person in fellowship with God (even if we failed some) as Holy Spirit continues to perfect an "every Word of God" lifestyle of truth and purity.

2 Corinthians 3:6 AMP

[it is He] Who has qualified us [making us to be fit and worthy and sufficient] as ministers and dispensers of a new covenant [of salvation through Christ], not [ministers] of the letter (of legally written code) but of the Spirit; for the code [of the Law] kills, but the [Holy] Spirit makes alive.

Good thoughts five.

Good thought Tinky. Opinions are great. God's Word is better. ;) Care to back that up with Scripture please?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

1. What is legalism?

Definition for legalistic:

Web definitions:

(legalism) strict conformity to the letter of the law rather than its spirit.

I like this definition and will answer the topic from this position as I believe it clearly illustrates that which killed the Prince of Piece.

Jhn 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

The Jews spoken of here understood clearly that Jesus had broken the letter of the Sabbath law. We all know that Jesus kept the law perfectly without error as the law is spirit and its application must be discerned spiritually. Jesus had done nothing wrong. The legalists wanted him destroyed though as they were envious of him.

The bible is a book of law in and of itself but is spirit and to be understood as such when taken and applied to our lives. Not understanding the spirit of a text can cause one to err greatly in application. Romans 1 includes a list of sins that are worthy of death. A legalistic approach would be to go about arresting and executing anyone that is breaking one of them. Saul's approach to OT Judaism of his day prior to his transformation where the blinders were removed.

We must not swing on the pendulum the opposite direction though and declare a free for all of grace unto all as the bible simply does not declare this to be the truth. Where was Ananias and his wife's grace? Where was the grace given unto the fornicator in Corinth? Gods way is somewhere in between the two extreme polar opposites. In both cases I just mentioned the 'power' of God was displayed and relied upon for perfect justice given in each situation. Peter spoke but God confirmed his words with action. Paul gave order but God removed his hand of protection from the fornicator. In neither case was the perpetrator touched by anyone in the church except it be to bury the bodies or to welcome the forgiven one back into the fold after proper repentance had taken place.

A legalistic approach to the scriptures totes the letter of the law and kills while the spirit of the law gives life unto all those who are educated by it. The law is meant to be both and educator (taskmaster) as well as a judicial line to be applied when necessary for the purpose of the greater good. Fear fell upon the whole church in this case. We must not seek to apply the law arbitrarily or hasty in anything we do as we might find ourselves in error. When Jesus returns, we are told it is a day of darkness and not light. He is going to execute perfect judgment in the spirit and not the letter of the law. He is going to do what the church has grievously failed to do and bring in the kingdom of God upon the earth. The kingdoms of the world will become the kingdoms of our God.

What if we simply went by the letter of the law in our court systems today? How many criminals would go free on simple technicalities? Oh wait, that happens, doesn't it? How many times does someone simply get hung up on the letter of the law in America and seek to destroy the very fabric of society with it? The 10 commandments have been removed from many a place by the letter of the law and that in and of itself is sad.

We, as Christians, have a wonderful book of law to study that is spiritual in nature that clearly shows that God is not a legalist in the common sense of the word. The same who said thou shalt not bear false witness made a lying harlot a part of the genealogy of Jesus Christ. But it must be duly noted that this same God has an end to his patience when his grace and mercy displayed are exhausted by those who he pours them out upon. After years of being abused by the people of the northern kingdom of Israel, God wrote and gave unto them a bill of divorce and dispersed them out into the nations, no longer to be a people. Grace and mercy have a place and an end when abused.

As I choose to define legalism, it is never a good thing but as I have seen others define it, I am more inclined to agree with their position while rejecting their definition. Jesus came to fulfill the law, not to do away with it. Even Paul in Romans declared openly that owing no man anything meant that we would not transgress seven of the ten commandments.

Worthy Christian Forums is a perfect example of the employment of law (TOS) by the spirit rather than the letter. Our moderating staff of volunteers has a responsibility before God to do their job in a godly manner. They will be held accountable and have to give an answer for every decision they make, whether it be to allow something that causes one of the least to offend or to cast out a person as unacceptable to the community. We ought hold them up in prayer regularly for wisdom, knowledge and understanding.

Gary

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

The Holiness movement defines legalism has women having long hair rolled up in a bun and dresses down around the ankle. In the United Pentecostal Church, it is defined a men always having short hair and must wear long sleeved shirt. It should be clear that we don't want this kind of holiness.