• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

What kind of a question is that? You can't shovel snow with a gun, or do anything else with one apart from shooting to cause death.

So the only time I have ever used a firearm was to shoot it to cause death?

Sure, unless you use it for target practice, which some people think is fun, knowing full well that the purpose of the object is to kill---kind of perverse fun, anyway. It is a weapon after all.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

thats the part I really dont get. People assume 2 things, that the only reason to own a gun, is to kill people. I own multiple firearms. I also shoot regularly. and 90% of what I shoot, is incapable of being killed. By that I mean theyre paper targets and pop cans. which means, out of every 100 bullets I fire, 90 dont kill a thing. the 10 that do, I eat. Thats right, I eat. Im sorry, I like deer, and wild turkey. But thats not people, those are animals, and for those that are against hunting, well killing a deer is no different then a slaughterhouse that kills cows-except the deer, has a chance of escape, the cows don't. Not a single round from any of my guns, has ever even threatened to hit a human Being. And thats true of like 90% or more of all gun owners out there. So, thats mistaken assumption number 1.

The second thing people assume, that if a person owns a gun, then they intend to shoot someone, that they want to. That just because they own a gun, that they WANT to shoot someone. Especially, if that someone is carrying a weapon for self defense. Also a false statement. Just because a person is willing to kill someone in self defense, doesnt mean that they want to. As a father, its my responsibility to protect my family, to keep them safe. I don't want to ever, shoot anyone, at all, but if someone were in my house in the middle of the night, and if the choice was the life of one of my kids, or the life of the criminal threatening my kid, then, the choice is pretty simple to me. Its not that I want to kill that guy-its because I want to keep my family safe. Thats mistaken assumption #2. People need to realize the difference between "wanting" to kill someone, and being "willing" to do so. There is a discernable difference.

And on top of target shooting, which I already mentioned, there is also a large interest in competition shooting, which is no different then say, golf, football or any other sport. It is a bunch of people who compete with each other to see who is the best shot. Competition shooting, harms no one, except little pieces of paper. I guess, technically, a tree had to be killed to make that target, but you might as well blame the logging companys for that-if the competition shooters arnt using paper for targets, Im sure the government would buy it up and use it for useless bills and paperwork to be filled out.

The song, "It's Only Make Believe" comes to mind.