Food idol

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Food has been an idol in my life forever.

I have been overcoming it for a while after being born again, and since 2010 I have lost over 40lbs, but it is still a struggle. My goal is to have the body that God intended me to have.

I have been doing some fasting off and on to break this addiction and kick this food demon out of my life!

Can anyone relate or offer some good advice? I am so tired of this battle

Thank you!

Natalie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I believe you are on the right road. Acknowledging it as a problem is a start, but let's look a bit deeper into fasting.

Isaiah 58:6-9

Is this not the fast that I have chosen:

To loose the bonds of wickedness,

To undo the heavy burdens,

To let the oppressed go free,

And that you break every yoke?

Is it not to share your bread with the hungry,

And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out;

When you see the naked, that you cover him,

And not hide yourself from your own flesh?

Then your light shall break forth like the morning,

Your healing shall spring forth speedily,

And your righteousness shall go before you;

The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard.

Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer;

You shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I can relate, Natalie.

I was personally put into some circumstances where I was basically forced to eat less. When I noticed my dress size shrinking, it gave me the incentive to continue on the path of eating less. Eventually I learned to be sensitive to my body's signals. I now do not like feeling full.

If you can work on disciplining yourself, try these steps:

1. Slow down. If you watch people eat, you will notice a difference in how people eat. Most, maybe all, people who are overweight "shovel" their food into their mouths. That is, they have food lifted towards their mouth while they are still chewing and than put it in a second after they swallow the previous mouthful. So, what you need to practice is thus:

Chew slower and longer - savor the food.

When you put food in your mouth, put your utensile (or hand if finger food) down and keep it down. Wait a few second after swallowing before picking up the utensile to add more food.

2. When you have a full plate of food, purposely separate out 1/3 of everything. After you finish eating the 2/3 parts, wait about 5-10 minutes if you can. If you feel satisfied, do not eat any more. (NOTE: if you feel stuffed, you ate too much. Feeling satisfied means you are no longer feeling indications of hunger.) If you still feel hungry (not desirous for food, but hungry), split what you have in half and repeat the above.

3. Only eat when you feel hungry. If you do not feel hungry, do not eat.

4. When eating, learn to quit eating when you actually feel satisfied. Do not continue eating to the point of feeling stuffed.

5. If you plan on having dessert, cut back on the amount you eat for the meal. Apply the 1/3 portioning rule to this as well. If you have dessert mid day, again, cut back on the amount you eat for dinner. If you have veggies with the meal, increase the veggie amount over the meat and carbs amount.

6. Learn to be sensitive to what your body is wanting to eat. There is a difference between a craving and a desire. A true craving is your body's signaling that you need some nutritional element from this food. An example would be craving raisins or spinach (food with iron in it) during the monthly cycle. When you can sense what your body needs, it will help you to eat less because your body can keep sending 'hunger" signals when it is trying to fulfill that nutrient need.

I hope this helps.

Onelight, Thank you for the Bible verses! The Bible does have quite a bit to say about fasting and how we shouldn't make our stomaches our gods. I need to go back and re-read them.

Nebula,

Thank you for the advice! It is good to talk to someone who struggles with this as well. I will have to start doing all those things you listed. I used to do them a few years ago when I lost 50 lbs the first time (pre marriage pre children). But then I slipped back into my old habits again :( . Which goes to show me I never really let go of that idol. But I think now being a christian I can also turn to God for help. I pray all the time about this. I need to remember all the good habits I had adopted before, your list started to bring it back to me! Thank you! How much weight have you lost? If you don't mind me asking? Or you could PM me if you would like!

God bless us everyone!

Natalie

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

Fasting allows one to enter deeper into the spiritual world as they turn from the physical. That is where the battle is fought, and with the Lords guidance, won.

God Bless,

Alan

Fasting allows one to enter deeper into the spiritual world as they turn from the physical. That is where the battle is fought, and with the Lords guidance, won.

God Bless,

Alan

Yes most deffinently! This is one of the main reasons I fast. But I find it difficult to fast for more than 24 hours because I have 2 young children to raise, so I have to have some energy. And also I am a full-time college student, so fasting for more than 24 hours makes it hard to concentrate in school. I have done a few 48 hour fasts when my ex husband has the kids for the weekend. I notice the most spiritual growth during that time as well.

Something that has been bugging me though is that new agers claim to feel the same connectedness to god (their god) during fasting, and so do mormons and other cults and false religions. Why is this? How could this be if we christians are the only real true faith? Maybe I need to fast and pray about this ;).

Nebula,

Thank you for the advice! It is good to talk to someone who struggles with this as well. I will have to start doing all those things you listed. I used to do them a few years ago when I lost 50 lbs the first time (pre marriage pre children). But then I slipped back into my old habits again :( . Which goes to show me I never really let go of that idol. But I think now being a christian I can also turn to God for help. I pray all the time about this. I need to remember all the good habits I had adopted before, your list started to bring it back to me! Thank you! How much weight have you lost? If you don't mind me asking? Or you could PM me if you would like!

You are welcome!

Yeah, I still have to control myself at times, too.

Not a problem on sharing. I don't judge my body on the scale anymore - for muscle and bone mass affect weight as well. I go by dress size.

Note: I'm a petite 5' 1" person, so keep that in perspective with this. I was a size 14 and growing when I got started. I am now fluctuating between 2 and 4. Trying to get back to and maintain the 2.

Thank you!

I am a petite 5'1" as well, and when I started I weighed 177 lbs and was a size...18 I think. And now I weigh 130 and am a size 11. My goal is maybe a size 5. Or 3. We will see what my body feels comfortable at :) . My weight goal is to be anywhere between 105-115.

Thank you for sharing Nebula!

Do you have any kids? I gained most of this weight during my first pregnancy.

God bless!

Natalie

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  40,773
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

To my loved ones! As this is good for you reflect upon God to this need of His values as your own...

Naturally you will focus body intent but it is the temporary tent and should not receive much focus :)

Draw near to God with all strength, mind and purpose knowing He has sealed your victory with the

reward of the new body that can only be used for Him and His Will ... war without friendship with

flesh! Love, Steven

Thank you!

I am a petite 5'1" as well, and when I started I weighed 177 lbs and was a size...18 I think. And now I weigh 130 and am a size 11. My goal is maybe a size 5. Or 3. We will see what my body feels comfortable at :) . My weight goal is to be anywhere between 105-115.

Thank you for sharing Nebula!

Do you have any kids? I gained most of this weight during my first pregnancy.

God bless!

Natalie

Blessings to you, too!!

No kids. My problem was eating only.