IGNORED

A Woman of Influence: Prov. 31

GoldenEagle

sorry, i just thought i'd repeat my answer to nebula. a woman doesn't have to be a superwoman to fit the biblical model of virtuousity.... and although i know i fall pretty short of the goal, i'm quite certain that there are a LOT of women who fit every aspect.

but not everybody reads the passage and understands it the same way. it doesn't make any of us wrong, and it's not changing scripture, it's simply a matter of how different women exemplifies the different assets according to her personal circumstances, strengths, skills, etc.

I don't mind these parts

A. Her Assets:

She is trustworthy (v. 11)

She is a positive influence (v. 12)

She is a hard worker (v. 13, 14, 19, 24-27)

She is protective (v. 27)

B. Her Achievements

She meets the needs of her home (v. 15)

She helps her husband become successful. (v. 23)

C. Her Attitudes

Delightful (v. 13)

Compassionate (v. 20)

Unselfish (v. 20)

D. Her Applause

From her family (v. 28)

From her husband (v. 28, 29)

From God's Word (v. 30)

From her works (v. 31)

But I have a problem with these parts:

A. Her Assets:

She is a planner (v. 21, 22)

i'm sure God knows we all 'plan' differently. i plan more by the seat of my pants than in any organized manner. the actual text of the scripture reads that she has no fear of winter because her household is clothed in scarlet (NKJV) or with warm clothes (NLT). i think the nkjv is more accurate, and has nothing to do with clothes. i think it is referring to her dedication to covering the family with the blood (of sacrifice and burnt offerings back then, but with the blood of Jesus now.)

B. Her Achievements

She invests for her household (v. 16)

the scripture reads she considers a field and buys it. not every wife is going to want or need to buy a field. the issue is really about good stewardship with the household finances. whether you're investing in the ingredients for a meal or an acre of land, God expects us to do so wisely.

She keeps herself in shape (v. 17)

LOL, Golden Eagle's male perspective is shining through, isn't it? ;) i really am not intending to nullify anything he said... when he reads the scripture, how he worded the qualities is what he envisioned when he read them. the same thing can mean different things. in verse 17, it doesn't say she goes to the gym to work out, it says she gird herself with strength, and a hard worker. you strengthening of arms can be metaphorical too, as in nurturing and comforting. while it's easy to think of those as physical qualities, it can also mean mental or emotional abilities as well. i know that your brain is never idle. you're a smart woman, and you use your abilities.

C. Her Attitudes

Healthy (v. 18)

verse 18 says she perceives her merchandise as good and her lamp burns bright even at night. to me that doesn't scream "healthy", at least not in the sense that immediately comes to mind. but taking pride in one's work and making sure it's of high quality IS a healthy attitude, no matter what kind of work you do.

Public (v. 25)

i'm not sure why public is the quality attributed to this verse. it actually says "Strength and honor areher clothing;

She shall rejoice in time to come."

I'm not skilled at planning.

I'm not a financial wizard

I'm not athletically inclined

I have health issues that can't be healed naturally

I'm introverted

:online2long:

Can any woman possibly be this super-woman described here?

P.S. When does she have time to relax, pamper herself, play with the children, play with her husband?

ahhhh.... that happens after the kids are grown and gone, i'm afraid!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1969

I don't mind these parts

A. Her Assets:

She is trustworthy (v. 11)

She is a positive influence (v. 12)

She is a hard worker (v. 13, 14, 19, 24-27)

She is protective (v. 27)

B. Her Achievements

She meets the needs of her home (v. 15)

She helps her husband become successful. (v. 23)

C. Her Attitudes

Delightful (v. 13)

Compassionate (v. 20)

Unselfish (v. 20)

D. Her Applause

From her family (v. 28)

From her husband (v. 28, 29)

From God's Word (v. 30)

From her works (v. 31)

But I have a problem with these parts:

A. Her Assets:

She is a planner (v. 21, 22)

B. Her Achievements

She invests for her household (v. 16)

She keeps herself in shape (v. 17)

C. Her Attitudes

Healthy (v. 18)

Public (v. 25)

I'm not skilled at planning.

I'm not a financial wizard

I'm not athletically inclined

I have health issues that can't be healed naturally

I'm introverted

:online2long:

Can any woman possibly be this super-woman described here?

Actually, I was thinking right away when I read the start of this thread that this woman doesn't exist today. Maybe she existed in the time it was written, but I really don't think so today. Does that sound too cynical?

Certainly a slap to my sisters here who are pressing to be thus :) ... perhaps violating the encouragement aspect of Scripture!

I have read some remarkable virtues of some who have written here... so perhaps yes to cynical ... Love, Steven

No slap intended! :red_smile: And more power to all our sisters that are pressing toward that mark! My comment was simply that I haven't seen such a woman yet, that can be described in all of the above terms. That's not to say I don't think there are exceptional Christian women, because there are. But based on what I, personally, have seen all my life, I am admittedly slightly cynical/skeptical, about it. God bless!