• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

From my perspective, your response is a cop-out.

Consider what the point of Scripture is. What is the heart of the Lord for us?

Does He want our eyes focused on the creature or the Creator?

I dont see why it has to be an either or proposition.

The funny thing is, I've only heard two or three people ever present Genesis 1 as a theological text meant to teach us about God.

Other than "God created", what have you learned about God in Genesis 1? What have you learned about the heart of God and His plan for redemption?

Please, grant me the theological side of the "both" - what is it?

God is glorified in every aspect of His creation, why should we ignore it?

Ah, if you are looking to learn about creation to glorify God, then your focus is learning about God, not the earth.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I ask you as well, is His desire for our eyes to be on the creature or the Creator?

Sure, He allows things - things that are a part of just living in our time and culture, like science. But was that His intention when providing the account of His creating shamayim and eretz?

Now your are asking a different question all together. Of course it is our Lord's desire for our focus to be on Him. But to ask what His intention was when giving us the account is an all together different situation? I can say that His intention as expressed throughout the word is to introduce Christ to us. That He has done.

Great! Can you see the introduction to Christ in Genesis 1?

It's there.

Do you know it? Or have you been taught it?

Now because he created us the critical thinkers we are we tend to look at other aspects. This is just our makeup, and will continue to be until that day when we don't have to ask.

Ruck, you can be a critical thinker and search the Scriptures to learn more of God than you did before.

I am not saying we shouldn't learn of science - goodness, I am a scientiest myself! But if Genesis 1 were meant to teach us science, it would have scientific details - equations, processes, particle physics, cellular biology, DNA programming, the creation of bacteria, etc.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

So what does discussion mean?

Doesn't it mean you either believe Genesis is the infallible word of God, or you don't?

Don't let the things of this world or the wisdom of man negate Truth. Because God's word is the only truth we have.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

See what this trash causes? More Believers to doubt what is written. Pat - stick to theology. And while you're at it...get better at that.

Guest shiloh357

There is an interesting view I read somewhere. I am not advocating it, just putting out here for discussion. This view suggests that perhaps the heavens and the earth comprised of the lithosphere, atmosphere and hydrosphere are actually millions or billions of years old. But what we have in Genesis is a record of the ordering, structuring and filling of life (birds, animals, vegitation, fish, humans, etc.)

Again, I am not championing that view, nor do I entirely agree with it. Just putting it out for discussion

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

There is an interesting view I read somewhere. I am not advocating it, just putting out here for discussion. This view suggests that perhaps the heavens and the earth comprised of the lithosphere, atmosphere and hydrosphere are actually millions or billions of years old. But what we have in Genesis is a record of the ordering, structuring and filling of life (birds, animals, vegitation, fish, humans, etc.)

Again, I am not championing that view, nor do I entirely agree with it. Just putting it out for discussion

That's pretty interesting, but I don't think it's as complicated as that. God is not the author of confusion, so I'm sticking with 6/24 hour days, less than 10,000 years ago.

Just like the beginning of the universe via the Big Bang brought consternation to atheistic scientists who wanted/taught that the universe didn't have a beginning like the Bible said, God's word will be always be vindicated.

Guest shiloh357

That's pretty interesting, but I don't think it's as complicated as that. God is not the author of confusion, so I'm sticking with 6/24 hour days, less than 10,000 years ago.

Just like the beginning of the universe via the Big Bang brought consternation to atheistic scientists who wanted/taught that the universe didn't have a beginning like the Bible said, God's word will be always be vindicated.

Yes, I think there are some problems with it, as well. For one thing, the book of Exodus states that God created heaven and earth (including the lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmostphere in six days. He doesn't qualify that in any way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

I find debating the age of the Earth as if one's salvation depended on it ridiculous.. The Bible say "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth. The Earth was void and without form and darkness was on the face of the deep." It does not say when the beginning was. I believe God caused the Earth to become that way and that the dinosaurs existed on the Earth before God caused it to be that way. The following verses show God speaking into existence the things we know today (sun, sky, fish, foul, land, man, etc). We have come to call that "creation". That word is not found in those verses. But of all the things God brought into existence at that time the Earth was not one of them. God was "re-creating" the Earth and adding to it those things mentioned in Gen. 1:3 and beyond. This time God will destroy the heavens and the Earth and created an entirely new one where we will spend eternity with Him (Rev. 20, 21). So kudos for Pat. He's right on.

Edited by His Ambassador

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  68
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I fully believe in the 6 day creation as it is written in the Bible. As to the age of the earth the only question that is in my mind is in regards to Adam's age (930 years old) and whether or not God is counting from the day He created Adam or the day that Adam rebelled and was kicked out of the garden? If God is counting from the day that he created Adam then around 6,000 - 10,000 sounds right. If He is counting from the day that Adam sinned then we have no way of knowing how long Adam and Eve were in the garden and therefore no way of truly knowing how old the world really is. I do not believe in evolution or that the science behind it is accurate, I have no problem believing that the earth is 6,000 years old, just saying that I also don't know the time frame of Adam and Eve's life in the garden. Hope this makes sense?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I think it is a sad day when with the shape this world is in this very day someone would throw a wrench in the way most of us have been thought over the years "Biblically". Put yourself on the outside looking in and look at just what is being said in here. Like, " Hey Maud these people can not agree on anything. You know woman I was thinking about we ought to go check out this Jesus person at one of those churches where they say they tell you about Him , cause I was just thinking there has got to be a better way than this old world. I sure do feel like this burden I carry is heavy, I know you do too. If we went there and they were as confused on this Jesus as this age of this planet stuff. I might leave more confused about Jesus than I am now. Maud replies, " Who cares how old the planet is anyway.I agree Henry there has got to be a better way than what we have been trying for all our lifes,, that Heaven place sure seems like it would be a great place to go someday. Maybe we'll make it there. I sure am going to my best,, hope we make it old man."

And they return to doing as they have always done,, their best just to survive this life.Tottally missing out on the salvation that is only through Jesus Christ. (John 14 verse 6)

Someone above here said they would just let Jesus explain that kind of stuff to us when we get to heaven. After all we will be there a long time. I agree!

Someone once explained this to me in this way.

My friend speaking to me:

Do you believe God created everything just like the Bible tells us?'

I say " Sure!"

My friend,:

So lets go to the part where God created Adam,, called him a man,,, formed a man's body out of the dust of the ground and breathed into it the breath of life. A the man became the first living person. Then went on to make a woman for a suitable companion.

Notice it doesn't say God created a baby or babies. God created a "Man and a Woman". The age factor already built in so to speak. We all believe that,, agreed! So as God spoke everything else into existance right before God created Man and Woman. Agreed?

I say "Sure!"

My friend told me," Then is it so hard to believe that God when He spoke the planet Earth into existance,,, Is it so hard believe or understand God had an age factor already built in at that moment, that very second, the earth came to exist,, just like He did with "Man and Woman and all the other stuff that was created!

I thought about it a second, Smiled and replied "Sure!"

Let's do our very best to share Jesus with others the very best we can all the time. If someone ask you about carbon dating ancient bones and rocks, etc. Be honest with them and tell them , "We are going to ask God about that stuff,, It is over my understanding!"

Sings softly,

" Turn your eyes upon Jesus,, Look full in His wonderful face,,, and the things of this world will grow strangely dim,,, in the Light of His Glory and Grace!"

God Bless you all,

Jude22kjv