IGNORED

Renewing of the mind. How?

Simon Peter

Guest bryanw92

Its better to do the whole verse and the following one:

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

that is sort of like telling someone to ride a bike you get on and push the pedals. It is actually a bit harder than that if you have never done it before.

We as humans will not always think about whatever is noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable.

A new Christian will likely have even more trouble than those that have trained their mind more.

Instead of just repeating verses, perhaps some personal examples on how to keep your focus could help this person, since that is what they seem to be asking for.

I did that. Read the rest of the thread where I explained how I study the bible. I expanded the quote because I really dislike prooftexting as people love to do on this site. The Word of God is multi-course meal, to be eaten and savored as each new course comes out, and not a sample on a toothpick to pop into your mouth as you pass by the freezer case in the grocery store.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

It is very difficult to put everything that needs to be said in these short spaces without flooding the post. What works for one may not be the next persons method, nevertheless they work for that person. I do find it very valuable as I am just reading the bible for a daily reading to write down a verse if it will help me in particular in my walk with the Lord and then I memorize that verse and not to lose that verse or other verses I would go over them every day and if I had a new one to learn I would do that one first and then beginning in my mind I would start in Genesis and go through the verses I knew in book order and this I would do 5 days a week while driving to work, sometimes during the day and on the way back home. It was a 45 minute drive. The Psalmist does say in Ps 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against you". This to me was a wonderful blessing and God did and does bless those who follow His advise. For the one who started the OP, Simon Peter, you may know but if not, that it is the Lord that gives you ever good idea to pursue that is pleasing to Him, Phil 2:13 For it is God working in you, to will and to do of His good pleasure. John 15:5b without Me you can do nothing. Therefore the desire to hunger and thirst for His word abiding in you, is from Him and if you pursue that earnestly His word will not return unto Him void in you but will accomplish that for which He sent it to you. And that is to build you up in the faith. But it is like a young child, one step at a time until you can not only walk swiftly but run with the wind in your face and by hiding His word in your heart, you can come against any temptation with the method that He used when the devil tempted Him in Luke 4 and Matt 4, He answered in v4,7,10 by using the scripture as His reply. Phil 2:13 is a good one to start with, but that is every persons choice to their need.

Edited by allofgrace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

But, this is all we have, so we have to put ourselves in these stories as the object. Be the guy who Jesus is trying to explain the parable to, or the moneychanger who is being chased out fo the temple, or the soldier who recognizes that he really is God. Experience the gospel. Don't just read it.

Interesting thoughts. Are we really to put ourselves in the stories as the object of the stories? What is the purpose of the Bible?

The Bible is the sufficient Word of God would you agree?

God bless,

GE

The purpose of the bible is to deliver the Word of God since we couldn't be there to live it first-hand. If you can increase the value of your experience by making it personal, then you are absorbing that Word better. This is why we have music in worship services. It is the reason for most liturgies and traditions. Your relationship with God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit is a personal one, right? If you read the bible as a third-person observer, much as you would a newspaper, then the bible is not sufficient. Until you learn to make it personal, it is just a book. We aren't muslims who consider a collection of pages and bindings to be a holy object. The bible isn't really holy until it is holy inside you. I can't believe that you would be so hidebound that you would criticize any methods to make reading the Word more personal.

From my perspective I was simply asking questions for clarification brother. Sorry if that offended you.

I would offer that music is for God's glory and benefit not ours. When I sing and worship God it is for His benefit not mine. Perhaps I misunderstood you though?

Yes my relationship with God through Jesus in the aid of God's Holy Spirit is personal. Yet it is also something that is public. :) I agree the Bible speaks to us as God's Living Word. The Bible is sufficient in my estimation. The Bible to me is Holy regardless of what I believe or feel. I believe the central figure to the Bible is God. The purpose of the BIble is in my opinion (IMO) to teach us about God's character, promises, love, and law.

Jesus Christ is the ultimate focus of divine revelation as all of Scripture is a testimony to Him. Scripture was written by men and divinely inspired by God. It has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth with the absence of error for its subject matter. Scripture is genuinely true and decidedly trustworthy. It reveals how we will be judged individually as humans, reveals God's character to us, points to our need for a Savior due to our sin, and tells us of the awesome things still to come. Scripture is the standard by which all human conduct, opinions, and creeds are to be measured up against.

Exodus 24:4; Deuteronomy 4:1-2; 17:19; Joshua 8:34; Psalms 19:7-10; 119:11,89,105,140; Isaiah 34:16; 40:8; Jeremiah 15:16; 36:1-32; Matthew 5:17-18; 22:29; Luke 21:33; 24:44-46; John 5:39; 16:13-15; 17:17; Acts 2:16ff.; 17:11; Romans 15:4; 16:25-26; 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Hebrews 1:1-2; 4:12; 1 Peter 1:25; 2 Peter 1:19-21.

I don't believe I was criticizing any method to make the reading of God's Word more personal as to the comment in bold. At least that was not my intention. Again I was asking questions. Please forgive me if my words offended you?

God bless you brother.

Humbly In Christ,

GE

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

By reading the word of God, I guess..

Guest shiloh357

Its better to do the whole verse and the following one:

8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

that is sort of like telling someone to ride a bike you get on and push the pedals. It is actually a bit harder than that if you have never done it before.

We as humans will not always think about whatever is noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable.

A new Christian will likely have even more trouble than those that have trained their mind more.

Instead of just repeating verses, perhaps some personal examples on how to keep your focus could help this person, since that is what they seem to be asking for.

I did that. Read the rest of the thread where I explained how I study the bible. I expanded the quote because I really dislike prooftexting as people love to do on this site. The Word of God is multi-course meal, to be eaten and savored as each new course comes out, and not a sample on a toothpick to pop into your mouth as you pass by the freezer case in the grocery store.

Leonard wasn't prooftexting. His point was "think on these things" and that is how you renew your mind. You renew your mind by constantly having your mind stayed on the things of God. Prooftexting is when you "prove" something ususally by a single passage or verse. that says what you want, but ignoring other passages that may prove that your position is addressed by other passages that don't favor your point of view.

Leonard was making a didactic point and his approach given his purpose was entirely appropriate.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

I love that we are wonderfully made...and that God made it so that we would have to be together because He won't give us all the same things (revelations) all at the same time...I just love Him!!! And I love it that I need us!!! All of us...

Some of us have to have it like pop -corn...

Some of us have it as the most elegant 5 course meal at the Wilshire...

Some of us start out eating popcorn and end up at The Wilshire...Wow...I love it when that happens...All I know right now is that...(giving all credit to the author and singer of the song...but applying these words to my faith: If I am wrong...I don't want to be right...

Oopppsss...Forgot to say something: God renews our mind by the Washing of The Word (All the while He is trying to get us to The Wilshire...Hahaha...Ya'll know I'm using this as a figure of speech...His Word Is Alive and Changes Us!!! We gave the world and all it's cares so much of our life...Let's give God some now!!! He is the One that wonderfully made us...and Loves Us...Let's return to our First Love...Whew...You Are So Good...Lord

Love you In Him, Kathy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Simon, the answer for me has been to read for about an hour a day broken up into 3 portions and obeying the light I am given. As was said above, we are to focus our thoughts upon good things. This is an exercise. I do it everyday as oft as I think to. I enjoy taking some time to focus myself upon who God is by verbally expressing what he has done in history both in the bible and in my own life. Having and being filled with the Holy Spirit is key. Paul told Timothy that we have received the spirit of a sound mind. And in another place it speaks of us having the mind of Christ and how the Spirit of God knows the deep things of God and that we by that Spirit have access to that which is freely given us by God.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Hello,

I like it when I read what's good for my brain each day. I have read the bible from cover to cover only once. The other times I've read it when I need references. More of PBL(Problem base learning). I really don't feel very satisfied with that. I want some more!

How can I get the bible frozen on my finger tips? I would also love to find good news.

Any way around?

I would be happy to hear from you. I trust I'll get to recognize the Lord's voice when I get used to his word.

Regards,

Simon.

What Good News are you looking for Simon? What is your favorite book of the Bible in the Old Testament (OT)? What is you favorite book of the Bible in the New Testament (NT)?

Have you accepted Christ as your Savior and Lord?

How long have you been a Christian?

God bless you brother!

In Christ,

GE

Hi Golden,

Sorry for getting back late. I read the responses that same day.

Favourite OT book is Proverbs.

I am born-again, I accepted Christ.

I was raised in a Christian home. Am a Christian.

Been Christian since childhood, though at 17 I renewed my relationship with Christ. Its coming to 13 years that I have been serious with Christ.

Cheers,

Simon.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

Quote: Simon P: "at 17 I renewed my relationship with Christ. Its coming to 13 years that I have been serious with Christ."

Sounds great Simon!

From Original Post: Quote Simon:

"I have read the bible from cover to cover only once."

Along with other great suggestions here, I would encourage you to prayerfully read the Bible from cover to cover a number of times in your life! :)

B asic

I nstructions

B efore

L eaving

E arth

Although these few verses are directed towards the Book of Proverbs, it is true of the whole Bible as well!

To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding; To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 1:2-7

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  96
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/21/1970

Hi Simon. I just wanted to add my experience should it be of any help to you. I was having trouble with the reading of my Bible and the renewing of my mind until I put all of my trust into the Lord.

[5] Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; [6] In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths. [7] Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil. - Pro 3:5-7 NKJV

When I read scripture that I couldn't understand or that caused me confusion or concern, I didn't try to make it make sense by my own understanding. I told God plainly that I didn't understand or was confused about Him and asked Him to help me. It was tough in that I had to let go of my old mind in thinking I was wise in my own eyes. When I read something that seems to be a conflict I no longer struggled or doubted but confessed that God's Word is true and that it was my own mind that was in confusion or conflict and trusted that as He taught me, I would understand. That is exactly what He has done for me. Now, I pray and ask that I will have the ears to hear and for Him to open my eyes and my heart and to fill me with His Spirit and help me to learn and understand. I also ask Him to make my heart clean and to renew a right spirit within me.(Psalms 51:10) and I trust in Him to do so. Putting my trust in the Lord, is when I started noticing the renewing of my mind.

Another thing that helps me in my study is to listen to the Bible Chapter audio as I read along with it. This verse always comes to mind...

[17] So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. - Rom 10:17 NKJV

It really does help me though to hear it as I read along. Hearing it spoken somehow makes it more personal to me. Another benefit, is it helps me out in the Old Testament when dealing with names and pronunciations that trip me up if I'm reading on my own.

God bless you Simon.