• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

KEEP CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS

We've all seen this bumper sticker, and most of us probably used the expression at one time or another. Unfortunately, it does not reflect truth beyond a human tradition in Roman Catholic history when an uninformed (if well meaning, well intended) effort to Christianize a pagan holiday was decreed as the date which Jesus Christ was born. On or about December 25th. It was the pagan fertility feast of Saturnalia frot with pagan ritual and sexual orgies. The current holiday is much better by far... but it is not really about Jesus. For he was born (according to the time of years that shepherds would be out in the fields watching their flocks by night) before winter set in. Going by the timeliness of Jesus' life according to the Jewish feasts (which God implemented, by the way) Jesus was most likely born during the feast of booths / tabernacles. The Apostle John gives us a hint in the Greek in verse 1:14 of his Gospel account that Jesus "tabernacled" among us.

Another point is that Jesus did not tell us to remember his birth, or even his resurrection for that matter, but to remember his death in the communion / last supper / Passover Seder till he returns. Interesting how little we hear when God speaks and how trifling is our obedience to his commands. We don't even know what day of the week he died... not really. If we go by the traditions of men (which Jesus said nullify the Word of God Mark 7:13 and other places in scripture) then Friday is the day people throw God a bone with the gesture of good Friday. If you go by the biblical account it would be with either Wednesday or Thursday (depending on how one actually counts three days and three nights).

As I said, the human tradition holiday Christmas is better than Saturnalia by leaps and bounds. But it is not about Jesus even when it was far less commercialized and selfish. At best it was a time of uplifting one's countenance seasonal cheer in a bleak time of year... the hope for wellness and peace. A good time for family and friends to fellowship. But it was not about Christ even then... not really.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying people never genuinely believed it was about Jesus Christ... good heavens, people sincerely believe it is about Jesus Christ (I certainly did 30+ years ago when my beloved wife and I set our wedding date December 25th). So I a not coming at this from the angle of bashing believers or ridiculing them. I only hope to educate all what the Bible teaches and what the Bible does not teach. "God helps those who help themselves..." is not found in scripture. Neither is Christmas truly about Jesus Christ.

God could have started Christianity from the get go, but instead he set out to teach the world there is no other way. Going through the various dispensations and governments of man (beginning with the familial patriarchy and matriarchy through the time of the prophetic / judges to the monarchy and Judaism itself to teach the world that these things especially religion and religious practices do not work and can become corrupt tainted and opposing the very God originally set out to serve). And God does not want these things from us. He wants fellowship with us. 1 John 1.

God is not interested in platitudes, lip service, naming things as Christian though they really are not.

We fight a spiritual war (waged quite often in our own hearts) with means that transcend this world. Christmas and creches are traditions of man that other men can take away. Atheists tell us we cannot have a creche on public property and the crosses that dot the America landscape should be removed.

God is not about these things.

God is about what man can never take away from us. And for us to do our ministerial part (each and every believer is a priest before God 1 Peter 2:5 Revelation 1:6) using our spiritual gifts which no one can take away from us... laying up for ourselves treasures in heaven...

Matthew 6:19-20 (NIV)

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Well, here we go... :sad030:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

My family will celebrate Christmas - all in good conscience and to the Lord. If others don't want to celebrate Christmas - that's their business. I won't criticize them for their decision, and I expect the same in return. I've seen the arguments every year for as long as I can remember, and I view the arguments as a colossal waste of time. I would boil things down to something very simple: be happy with your decision and mind your own business. I'm very happy with my decision and plan to have a wonderful time in the Lord with my family.

Speci030.gif

Well, here we go... :sad030:

Drivers, start your engines! :whistling:

Zoom~! Zoom~!

I will sing unto the LORD, because he hath dealt bountifully with me. Psalms 13:6

All Ye Gentle Men

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another. Galatians 5:22-26

Turn On The Lights And Lift Up Your Voices

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David: ) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:4-14

~

Go, tell it on the mountain,

Over the hills and everywhere

Go, tell it on the mountain,

That Jesus Christ is born. http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/g/o/gotitotm.htm

Merry Christmas~!

Love Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

we all think of christmas as Jesus birthday there are many views on when He was born but one thing is for sure He was born

i keep christmas as His birthday i make my cards with Him in mind ...to me its saying

thankyou Lord

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Is it that time again!

what took so long?

Hey you are right! 11 months and 7 days is actually a long time. Wonder what went wrong this year?

Well there is always Easter to look forward to.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Christ is the true meaning of Christmas! You know how some people say "Happy Holidays?" I don't think that's right. I like the sound of Merry Christmas better, because it reminds us of the real meaning, over the commercial meaning.

Edited by warriorforJesus

Okay.

Show a bible verse in support of Christmas.

Otherwise it is just another man made tradition.

Mark 7:13 (NASB95)

13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Human traditions (even the with the best of intentions) nullifies the Word of God.

Jesus IS God the Word. How can he be in something that nullifies the Word of God?

In San Diego, California a local Christian radio station used to run the billboard saying "Jesus is the reason for the season" every Christmas season. Then they would cross out "the" and write "all" and add an "s" to the end of season once the Christmas season passed. I agree with the latter editorial.

Jesus is the reason for all seasons.