• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

After reading some posts on another thread about this subject, I decided to look into this a little further. I've never thought much about this subject. I've always just assumed that when I had a question or wanted to learn something, I could just read and study the word of God and pray.

When I think of someone saying they have a new revelation from God, or new knowledge from God, images of jim jones and david koresh run through my mind. But as I stuided about this and did some online research, I was equally horrifed by the other side of the coin. Let me explain.

While reading about No new revelations or no new knowledge, it seems people take this to the extreme as well. This is what I read about what some people believe, about no new revelations. Since there is no new revelations or knowledge, then there is no more prophecy. Because that would be new revelations. There is no dreams or visions because that also would be new revelation and new knowledge. God himself does not speak to us in a inner witness or small still voice, because that would be new revelations or knowledge. The bible is sufficent for all things. There is no reason for God to talk to us because it's all in his word. No new revelations or knowledge.

It seems as I've stuided I've come across the ditches on both sides of the road. I am in the process of seeking the Lord on this to illuminate his truth. That I might understand and speak his truth for his glory.

1. What is your understanding of No New Revelations or No New Knowledge?

2. How does this affect things like dreams and visions and the gift of prophecy?

3. The apostles were the foundation, christ the cornerstone. But if there is No new revelations, how do the walls and roof get built?

Thank you all and may God Bless you

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

No new prophesy or new revelations. What you describe about learning about new knowledge from God is new illumination from the Holy Spirit directing believers to how to apply the word of God in their lives. If it were new revelation there would be no way to check its accuracy and to verify that it is from God. We are encouraged to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The word is the lamp unto our feet and the light unto our path. No one has gained all the wisdom from scripture, why would we need more?

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

The emphasis of the early Church was on the Apostles' doctrine (teaching) and it wasn't on gifts as Acts 2:42 points out. People argue that the Canon wasn’t completed by then so there is no reason to believe the Bible but they had Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Paul and they listened to the Apostles’ doctrine which is the Word of God and they were eyewitnesses to what Jesus directly said and did.

First thanks for the post. I agree with everything you said. However, paul said Christ was the cornerstone. That the apostles and there doctrine was the foundation. That we are to be very careful what we build onto it. If there is no new revelations, what do we build with? The word is the doctrine spoken of, it is the foundation. Christ is the cornerstone. What is the walls and roof?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

1. My understanding is limited to your description; this is the first I have heard of this to be honest. And prayerfully, you will find peace in this because whomever or whoever lead you to this is very lost and not biblically sound as the bible indicates that we are talked to by God, given understanding by God and lead by Him. Take this verse as just one example John 16:13 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." If we don't come to know the still small voice, or can praise Him for the miracles He bestows upon us and those around us then how could we ever come to know Him? Faith is not a measure of wishful thinking or hope, but it is by grace, satisfaction, trust, experience and confidence and much more !! Our God is faithful and wants a relationship with each one of us ! If we did not come to know the Spirit of truth and to be guided by the Lord then how could we come to ultimately understand and truly interpret scripture? The doctrine that is lead by the spirit is not adding to or taking away from scripture because it is it ! It is like looking up a word and seeing all the definitions, how it is used and so forth. They all revert back to the same source, the Head i.e. God. Through the spirit we come to understanding and can learn from the bible both in prophecy and in today's terms, weather it be in correction or about Gods love. The bible goes as far as the heart is willing, the more heart, time and spirit you put forth the more understanding is given. That is why there is sooo very much to learn about the bible !!!

No new prophesy or new revelations. What you describe about learning about new knowledge from God is new illumination from the Holy Spirit directing believers to how to apply the word of God in their lives. If it were new revelation there would be no way to check its accuracy and to verify that it is from God. We are encouraged to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The word is the lamp unto our feet and the light unto our path. No one has gained all the wisdom from scripture, why would we need more?

Thanks for the post. But the bible never says the gift of prophecy has ceased. If there are no new revelations, then there can be no dreams or visions either? Joel said in the last days God would pour out his spirit and young men would dream dreams and old men would have visions. How can this be, if there is no new revelations? Is this also an act of illumination and not revelation? Wouldn't the end of all new revelations mean the end of all Prophets and Apostles? If Apostles and Prophets are no more, then we have to get rid of pastors, teachers and evangilists as well. because they are a 5 fold minstry. they work together.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What Scripture is used to justify the claim that there are no new revelations and no new knowledge?

1. My understanding is limited to your description; this is the first I have heard of this to be honest. And prayerfully, you will find peace in this because whomever or whoever lead you to this is very lost and not biblically sound as the bible indicates that we are talked to by God, given understanding by God and lead by Him. Take this verse as just one example John 16:13 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." If we don't come to know the still small voice, or can praise Him for the miracles He bestows upon us and those around us then how could we ever come to know Him? Faith is not a measure of wishful thinking or hope, but it is by grace, satisfaction, trust, experience and confidence and much more !! Our God is faithful and wants a relationship with each one of us ! If we did not come to know the Spirit of truth and to be guided by the Lord then how could we come to ultimately understand and truly interpret scripture? The doctrine that is lead by the spirit is not adding to or taking away from scripture because it is it ! It is like looking up a word and seeing all the definitions, how it is used and so forth. They all revert back to the same source, the Head i.e. God. Through the spirit we come to understanding and can learn from the bible both in prophecy and in today's terms, weather it be in correction or about Gods love. The bible goes as far as the heart is willing, the more heart, time and spirit you put forth the more understanding is given. That is why there is sooo very much to learn about the bible !!!

First, thanks for your post. I found it very comforting as I have been almost in constant tears over this for 2 days. The thought that someone in there heart believes that God can't talk to them is heartbreaking. I had began to feel like I was all alone on an island by myself. Hence why I posted this thread, and reached out to my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I will try to post the links to some of the pages I went to below. It's quite a bit of reading but will help you understand why I'm so disheartened about this.

http://www.bible-tea...revelation.html

Read this one first

http://www.tms.edu/tmsj/tmsj14h.pdf

What Scripture is used to justify the claim that there are no new revelations and no new knowledge?

Thanks for the post. The one in revelations about not adding to or taking away from the bible. Actually it says from this book in revelation but people apply it to the whole bible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks for the post. The one in revelations about not adding to or taking away from the bible. Actually it says from this book in revelation but people apply it to the whole bible.

It is a theme that runs through the whole Bible.

Please explain.

It is a theme that runs through the whole Bible.

Please explain.

Revelation 22:18-19

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Some people believe that this applies to the whole bible and not just the book of revelation. Since you can't add to or subtract from, then the entire canon is complete. There will be no more revelations because God's message to us is complete. That is my basic understanding.