IGNORED

New revelations????

firestormx

Guest shiloh357

So there is no Scripture to back this claim that is being treated as if the Lord said He would cease revealing Himself to us?

No, but such can be demonstrated.

And this is what is bugging me.

It is appearing as if "man's wisdom" has determined "the Canon" is closed.

"Seventy weeks are decreed about your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to put an end to sin, and to atone for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal both vision and prophet, and to anoint a most holy place.

(Dan 9:24)

Daniel is talking about prophecy that spans from the death of Jesus all the to the rebuiling of the temple. Note the phrase "seal both the vision and the prophet." Vision is OT phrophet-speak for the Scripture. Scripture came by vision to the prophet. Daniel speaks of a time when the vision (Scripture) will be sealed up. It will be closed up.

But consider this while Jesus was a revelation of the Father to mankind, much of the NT is written from OT knowledge. Salvatrion, eternal life, justification by faith, grace, even many eschatological events revealed in the OT are mentioned in the NT. The NT is not revelatory in and of itself. It is constantly referring back to the Old Testament. It is further illumination on the OT revelation given by the prophets. Remember that little saying? "The New in the Old concealed, the Old in the New revealed."

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

Ephesians 6:10-24

10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

sounds like safeguards to me.. :grin:

Guest shiloh357
Which is correct, but I think you're right about getting on the same page with terminology, because the Teacher (Holy Spirit) is always giving more revelation and light of WHAT IS ALREADY WRITTEN.

More accurately, He is always giving more illumination and light of what is already written. You illuminate someone with knowledge that already exists and deepen their understanding of it. Unfortunately, many people mistakenly call that "revelation.".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Eph 1:17-18 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

In scripture, revelation and illumination are closely related and go hand in hand. God is not finished revealing himself unto mankind.

1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

Jesus, the perfected one, has not been completely revealed yet.

We could do an open word study here on the two words 'revelation/reveal' and 'illumination/enlightenment' and the study would show that they are quite interchangeable. Some merely make distinction seeking to uphold their certain theological positions that have molded their understanding of scripture and its interpretation.

We await the manifestation of the sons of God which has been revealed unto us in scripture as the eyes of our understanding have been enlightened. One deals with uncovering that which has been covered while the other speaks to the opening of the sight to those that are blind. The two meet when it is simply darkness that has both an object covered and the eyes of one blind who cannot see it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Again, I think you are applying a subjective sense to "revelation" and in doing so, are confusing it with illumination. Revelation is corporate. It is God revealing Himself to mankind. Illumination is more local and personal. It is God giving more light on what has already been revealed. Unfortunately, many people call that "revelation," and it isn't.

ok, I think, ( big I think) I'm beginning to understand ( not agree, understand) what you are saying. Please tell me if this is what you have been saying.

Christ was the Final revelation of God, ( who he is, his nature, his atrubuites and so on) to us. Hence your use of the term Corporate. It was to all of us. Christ is the word made flesh. All of scripture points to him. Revelation as most people think doesn't exsit now because Christ has already been revealed as that revelation. When we go into the Word, ( Christ is the word made flesh) We are not given revelation on it, but it is Illuminated By God for us. Our understanding of The known Lord Jesus Christ is deepened and Clarified. Hence it is a illumination and not a revelation. Since Christ is the revelation and that revelation was to all of us, revelation is corporate, for all, where as illumination is personal.

is this right?

Did I miss anything?

Firestormx

Joseph

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Vision is OT phrophet-speak for the Scripture.

I have not heard of that one before. What is your source/reference/whatever for this claim?

If the cannon is not closed, and I think I proved with scripture above already it is.

No, you didn't prove it.

This thread is a concern to me. First, if the argument is about the scripture still being open, than what do you all believe is worthy to be called His words besides scripture? Many writings have already been rejected. They were rejected because the writings did not line up with scripture. Is there something that you believe lines up with scripture written today?

If nothing written by any Christian lines up with Scripture, what are we listening to and reading works by theologians, pastors, and teachers for? :online2long:

One thing for sure, they are not scripture. They are their words of what they feel scripture means. Some people spend far too much time reading other mans understand and not enough time in scripture. They place mans teachings on the same par as scripture, if not above scripture. This is when false doctrine appears and are defended.

If you cannot trust others to be hearing from God, how can you trust yourself to be hearing from God?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

This thread is closed for review.