• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

There is no new "revelation," meaning that there is no new information about God being revealed that has not been previously revealed in the Word of God.

Can you please show this in scripture

How could I show that in Scripture??? New revelation is revelation not contained in Scripture. How can I show revelation not contained in Scripture from Scripture?

The Bible has a back a cover. God's "revelation" of Himself is Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1 tells us that everything God has to say to man is found the Person and Ministry of Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's final Word to mankind.

I ask for your patience, I'm merly seeking God's truth.

Let me rephrase the question then. Have you found in scripture that God will give no more revelation? That all revelation stopped with the book of revelation. That there is nothing new that God will ever tell us. Have you found that in the bible or is this personal understanding of previously stated verses? ( see post #21 )

I'm not trying to be hard to get along with. If it is coming across that way, then I apologize and ask for your forgiveness. But the word of God is the standard upon which everything must line up to. If something don't line up 100%, in every way to the word of God, then we are to disregard it. So, if the bible does not say that God will give no new revelations, that it all stopped, that there is nothing new God will ever tell us. Then isn't that adding something that isn't there? Shouldn't we then disregard no new revelations if the bible doesn't say it, but we are adding that in?

Guest shiloh357

There is no new "revelation," meaning that there is no new information about God being revealed that has not been previously revealed in the Word of God.

Can you please show this in scripture

How could I show that in Scripture??? New revelation is revelation not contained in Scripture. How can I show revelation not contained in Scripture from Scripture?

The Bible has a back a cover. God's "revelation" of Himself is Jesus Christ. Hebrews 1 tells us that everything God has to say to man is found the Person and Ministry of Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's final Word to mankind.

I ask for your patience, I'm merly seeking God's truth.

Let me rephrase the question then. Have you found in scripture that God will give no more revelation? That all revelation stopped with the book of revelation. That there is nothing new that God will ever tell us. Have you found that in the bible or is this personal understanding of previously stated verses? ( see post #21 )

I'm not trying to be hard to get along with. If it is coming across that way, then I apologize and ask for your forgiveness. But the word of God is the standard upon which everything must line up to. If something don't line up 100%, in every way to the word of God, then we are to disregard it. So, if the bible does not say that God will give no new revelations, that it all stopped, that there is nothing new God will ever tell us. Then isn't that adding something that isn't there? Shouldn't we then disregard no new revelations if the bible doesn't say it, but we are adding that in?

I am not upset, sorry if it came off that way.

If someone comes up and says they have "new" revelation, information that is not contained in the Bible, but claims that God has given this new revelation, then how would you know if it were from God or not? Since it is new and has never been revealed previously, there is no benchmark in Scripture by which to test it to see if it is from God or if it is just something made up?

The canon is closed. The Bible is complete and if something new pops up and someone claims that God has given Him new revelation that we will not find in the Bible, then his "revelation" should be rejected because God will not send us any new revelation that cannot be corroborated with the Bible.

Hebrews 1 says that in these last days (that's today) God is speaking to us through His Son Jesus. Jesus is God's final "word" to mankind. God has nothing to say to man apart from Jesus and His finished work on the cross.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I believe Galatians also adds insight into this topic. There is nothing new under the sun. If anyone, even an angel, come preaching contrary to the Word of God he is to be cursed. God reveals Himself in His Word. The canon is closed.

Gal 1:6-12

6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.

11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Recently a friend of mine mentioned he has had people come up to him to tell him some "new" revelation.

He said, "If it's new it's not true. New revelation? God's revelation is found in the Bible."

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Thanks for the post. The one in revelations about not adding to or taking away from the bible. Actually it says from this book in revelation but people apply it to the whole bible.

It is a theme that runs through the whole Bible.

Please explain.

The Importance of NOT adding to or subtracting from God’s words:

“Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.”-Deuteronomy 4:2

“What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.”-Deuteronomy 12:32

OK, but a word of wisdom or a word of knowledge is not adding to God's command. Neither of these are commands. Prophecy, even, is not a command. So how does this apply?

“Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.”-Proverbs 30:6

The Holy Spirit speaking to someone is not you adding to His words. That is Him speaking.

“Thus saith the Lord; Stand in the court of the Lord’s house, and speak unto all the cities of Judah, which come to worship in the Lord’s house, all the words that I command thee to speak unto them; diminish not a word:”-Jeremiah 26:2

Again, these are commands, not revelations. There is a difference.

“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:”-Revelation 22:18

“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and the thigns which are written in this book.”-Revelation 22:19

"The prophecy of this book" is the book of Revelation. Gaining insight is not adding to the prophecy of "this" book.

Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

It isn't only the wackos claiming spiritual powers that deceive. A lot of deception is also found in scholarly theology.

Revelation 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

I fail to see how this applies to revelation and knowledge?

2 Timothy 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned [them];

Theologians reinterpret theology all the time - that's how we have so many denominations. Even the Roman Catholic Church's theology hasn't been consistent throughout the ages. For that matter, how much of "the Church" is following the original path that was laid out for us?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Deuteronomy 13:1 ¶ "If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,"

Deuteronomy 13:2 "And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;"

Deuuteronomy 13:3 "Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul."

Matthew 24:24 "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments."

When we listen to sign or wonders (your experience) and hold it above the Word of God then I might as well be hearkening listening (hearkening) to a dreamer of dreams and God would be proving to me whether I love Him because I wouldn't be keeping His commandments to not listen to them. The world is already being conditioned to follow after signs and wonders in the name of "spirituality" but God says that not all signs and wonders are of Him.

Because there is deception in signs and wonders, do you discount any and all of them?

There are many deceptive theologies that have nothing to do with signs and wonders, but on genuine scholarly research. Do you dismiss scholarly researched-based theology with the same zeal for this reason as well?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Is it not possible that the revelation has already been given, but sealed up until God calls for it?

Read Daniel 12:4 http://bible.cc/daniel/12-4.htm

This would then allow for dreams etc. to still be extant.

Much of the book of Revelation comes from other parts of the Word.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

After reading some posts on another thread about this subject, I decided to look into this a little further. I've never thought much about this subject. I've always just assumed that when I had a question or wanted to learn something, I could just read and study the word of God and pray.

When I think of someone saying they have a new revelation from God, or new knowledge from God, images of jim jones and david koresh run through my mind. But as I stuided about this and did some online research, I was equally horrifed by the other side of the coin. Let me explain.

While reading about No new revelations or no new knowledge, it seems people take this to the extreme as well. This is what I read about what some people believe, about no new revelations. Since there is no new revelations or knowledge, then there is no more prophecy. Because that would be new revelations. There is no dreams or visions because that also would be new revelation and new knowledge. God himself does not speak to us in a inner witness or small still voice, because that would be new revelations or knowledge. The bible is sufficent for all things. There is no reason for God to talk to us because it's all in his word. No new revelations or knowledge.

It seems as I've stuided I've come across the ditches on both sides of the road. I am in the process of seeking the Lord on this to illuminate his truth. That I might understand and speak his truth for his glory.

1. What is your understanding of No New Revelations or No New Knowledge?

2. How does this affect things like dreams and visions and the gift of prophecy?

3. The apostles were the foundation, christ the cornerstone. But if there is No new revelations, how do the walls and roof get built?

Thank you all and may God Bless you

Firestormx

Joseph

Hey ~

I guess I know to which thread you refer.....and I have not read the rest of the posts in this thread ... yet

This, is what I understand to mean NO NEW REVELATIONS:

I would understand this (following to be a new revelation and not from God)

"Guys! You won't believe this! I was praying and all of sudden Jesus (God/angel whoever) appeared to me and told me that

God had chosen me to be a prophet and this is what he showed me....there will signs in the heavens to back up what I'm

saying, so listen up...my eyes are opened and now I can see right into the spiritual world and I can see who is good or

who is evil. In fact, when I was praying for Bily Joe the other night, God told me to tell him not to marry Susie Q because

that is not God's will. So, even though they have already planned their wedding, they are breaking up...but I also told

him that God has a much better plan for him. "

and of course ten years later, Billy is still waiting and Susie sleeps around because no one ever meant to her what Billy did

Laugh? I've actually seen this and similar happen.

And then we also have the prophets who claim to see angels and hear from angels on a regular basis.

And, we have the prophets who are constantly telling us that the end of the world is happening tomorrow, next week, next year ....whatever

happens to be their own particular interpretation

Let's look at these things.

In the first scene, the supposed gift is used for what actually passes as fortune telling and causes great harm because it was never the Holy Spirit.

Yet, this has become a very common practice. People call this prophecy when in fact, it would actually be a word of knowledge. The true

word of knowledge would not cause harm.

A word of knowledge is not prophecy. Prophecy concerns God and what He is doing...the book of Revelation for example. There is the prophet who

came to Paul and demonstrated that Paul's hands would be bound and he would be imprisoned....that, is a future even and it happened...the man

was a prophet...HOWEVER he was NOT giving NEW REVELATION of God.

Do you see the difference? I have had this experience numerous times yet I believe it was simply a word of knowledge...I have had both future

and present circumstances through that gift, revealed to me, in order to help someone or to prepare me for something. I do not believe that is

prophetic...certainly not any revelation.

Let me relate a story (which I seldom do but to show I do know what I am talking about and also that I am not against this gift as some have claimed)

Some years ago myself and a friend were planning on going to a Christian camp and the week before going, I was praying and I saw...in my mind, a

man about my own age (at the time) and he was praying and asking God for something (I didn't know what). So, moving along....at the camp, they

had a speaker who was really really rabidly against speaking in tongues or any gift for that matter, and during his cough cough ministry to us, he

was making fun of people who spoke in tongues and had nothing good to say. This went on for a couple of meetings...then one day he asked if anyone

had something to say...I stood up and basically said...I speak in tongues as does my friend and we do not roll around on the floor and we do not

mock God and we do not have demons in us. I also stated that I did not think that what he was doing was helpful to anyone.

When I sat down, applause spontaneously broke out and it was apparent that the speaker had found himself in the midst of a bunch of Holy Spirit

filled people. He did not bring up the subject again. After the meeting, a man came up to me and said to me that himself and a bunch of other

guys had been praying that God would have someone stand up to this speaker. The man who spoke to me was the man I had seen BEFORE going

to the camp and what I had seen was him praying for God to have someone speak up. I asked him why he had not spoken up and he didn't know

but I guess God had prepared my heart in prayer to be the one to speak up.

See, I believe that (and a good number of other similar type experiences that I have had, including recent) to be a gift of the Holy Spirit...but even

if someone else sees that as prophetic (I do not) it would still not be NEW REVELATION...do you see that?

This is long enough, but that is a bit of my own experience because it seems to me that at this point you might like to hear from someone who

has some experience and is not just talking about someone else's experience.

So, to sum up, I absolutely believe in this gift operating the way it is intended to, but not in the sense that we receive NEW scripture. I believe the canon of scripture is closed.

Doesn't it seem like all the additions ...Book of Mormon, JW's literature and unique translation are additions to scripture? Don't these things

have a lack of authenticity to them and do they not ultimately DETRACT of the message of salvation and the Bible?

1. What is your understanding of No New Revelations or No New Knowledge?

2. How does this affect things like dreams and visions and the gift of prophecy?

3. The apostles were the foundation, christ the cornerstone. But if there is No new revelations, how do the walls and roof get built?

1. Gave illustration above but will be glad to discuss if you want...in the thread

2. Also kind of touched on that above...I think we all need a good clear rendering of what New Testament prophecy actually is and it is not a remake of the Book of Revelation because,

I mean, we already have that book, right?

3. You are mixing up revelation with being guided by the Holy Spirit

SHILOH: People today confuse revelation with illumination. There is no new "revelation," meaning that there is no new information about God being revealed that has not been previously revealed in the Word of God.

God is revealing more about Himself in deeper ways through His word and the power of the Holy Spirit, but that is not "revelation." That is illumination.

If there is new revelation about God that has not been previously revealed through His word, how would we be able to test such "revelation" to make sure it lines up with Scripture??? If God reveals something about Himself and we can find it corroborated with the Bible it is not "revelation."

I find the above good for understanding the diff between what is (wrongly) called revelation and illumination ...illumination is the work or the job if you will, of the Holy Spirit

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

We have God's word - the Bible. It tells us everything we need to know from the beginning right to the end. There is absolutely no need for any "new revelations."