• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

Hey everyone,

So I've been thinking lately, if I could go back in time and give myself some advice, what would it be? I'm a completely different person now than what I once was. I'm sure because of Christ we can all say that, and certainly that's going to be what my first and most important bit of advice would be about, but it's more than that. It's big things, but also little things too, hugely important things and minorly helpful things, serious and funny things, things with long, drawn-out stories attatched, and things I only know because someone was king enough to tell me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I regret my life, or even the mistakes I've made, because it all led me down a path that ended in me knowing Christ, and I'm not even saying it would've done any good, because I wasn't exactly the type to heed advice. None of that stops me from wondering and thinking about the things I've learned and the things I would've done differently if I'd known better.

I'm going to put some things down probably later but I'm really curious to know if anyone else has ever thought of this and if you have, what are some of the things you would tell a younger you? It doesn't have to be big, important things either or even serious things, It could be anything.

I wish i would have come to Christ sooner. I wouldn't have put my family through so much hell :( thru drugs and alcohol.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

You know, we are not to just forget our past...we should reflect at times...not being morbid or anything...but understanding from our present point

how what we do and the choices we make can alter so much. As the Bible says, these things are written....we can look on all the examples

in scripture of human behavior and the effects thereof and we can see ourselves so much in these things. Lessons in history and repentance

are not things we throw aside and they are most definitely a part of being a Christian

Yes, Paul did say forgetting the past I press forward but he meant that he could not deal with his past because of sin and the fact that

he hurt Christians...he did not mean to literally forget the past...he probably remembered it and it goaded him on to do the good things,

in God's sight, that he did

Ask anyone with amnesia if they wouldn't like to remember (little joke..)

As far as changing the past, Christ actually did that when He changed our present so that we are acceptable in the Father's sight

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Hey everyone,

So I've been thinking lately, if I could go back in time and give myself some advice, what would it be? I'm a completely different person now than what I once was. I'm sure because of Christ we can all say that, and certainly that's going to be what my first and most important bit of advice would be about, but it's more than that. It's big things, but also little things too, hugely important things and minorly helpful things, serious and funny things, things with long, drawn-out stories attatched, and things I only know because someone was king enough to tell me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I regret my life, or even the mistakes I've made, because it all led me down a path that ended in me knowing Christ, and I'm not even saying it would've done any good, because I wasn't exactly the type to heed advice. None of that stops me from wondering and thinking about the things I've learned and the things I would've done differently if I'd known better.

I'm going to put some things down probably later but I'm really curious to know if anyone else has ever thought of this and if you have, what are some of the things you would tell a younger you? It doesn't have to be big, important things either or even serious things, It could be anything.

I would tell my younger self to spend less time on video games, movies, and computer games. I would tell myself to spend more time in God's Word and with other people. I would tell myself to continue to live frugally and be generous to those around me. I would tell myself to learn to laugh at myself more. I would tell myself to invest in what matters in eternity and less on stuff. That's what comes to mind for starters.

My 2 cents.

God bless,

GE

I'd encourage people just starting out say in their teens/early twenties to consider this thread. My intent was to help others learn from my mistakes. Perhaps more practical stuff is what I was going for... ;)

Yet I agree with others that Christ is the number one aspect of life. Giving your life to Christ at an early age is the best thing one could do. We shouldn't regret the past but learn from it. Also helping others learn from our mistakes can be beneficial. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Hey everyone,

I would tell my younger self to spend less time on video games, movies, and computer games. I would tell myself to spend more time in God's Word and with other people. I would tell myself to continue to live frugally and be generous to those around me. I would tell myself to learn to laugh at myself more. I would tell myself to invest in what matters in eternity and less on stuff. That's what comes to mind for starters.

My 2 cents.

God bless,

GE

I'd encourage people just starting out say in their teens/early twenties to consider this thread. My intent was to help others learn from my mistakes. Perhaps more practical stuff is what I was going for... ;)

Yet I agree with others that Christ is the number one aspect of life. Giving your life to Christ at an early age is the best thing one could do. We shouldn't regret the past but learn from it. Also helping others learn from our mistakes can be beneficial. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

I mimic this response totally

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

One other thing I'd advise my younger self about would be education. At this point in my life, I love to learn new things. Now I don't know if I was always like that and the life of sin I was leading just sucked the enjoyment out of everything good for me, or if this is something new that happened to me when I became a new creation in Christ, but I know that right at the time in my life when it was important for me to be learning things, i.e. school years, I had the least interest in it. I would definately take advantage of the education that I took for granted.

Guest Editor1

My first and most important bit of advice would be, accept Christ at the first opportunity. I had many chances to do this way before I actually did it, but I turned away from them all. I ended up instead chasing after things that were only harmful to me in the end. I would definately try to communicate the futility in trying to find anything of meaning in life apart from Jesus.

How did becoming Christian make your life different or better?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

One other thing I'd advise my younger self about would be education. At this point in my life, I love to learn new things. Now I don't know if I was always like that and the life of sin I was leading just sucked the enjoyment out of everything good for me, or if this is something new that happened to me when I became a new creation in Christ, but I know that right at the time in my life when it was important for me to be learning things, i.e. school years, I had the least interest in it. I would definately take advantage of the education that I took for granted.

I agree education is also a great thing to aspire to. :)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

The title of this thread is, "If I Had Known Then, What I Know Now"

If I personally had known then what I know now; I would would be a different person.

Would I have been a better person?

My past formed my presence , I'm a slow learner, but He showed patience with me and never left my side

I understand that so many regret their past years.

My past years formed me.

Yes, I had many struggles; many dark moments, but now I'm in full sun light.

Jesus loves me just as I am.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,154
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Hind sight is 20/20 eh? I guess we have all said or wished that at one point...or more...and yes I have

As long as you keep it covered :) sorry I couldn't resist as I am getting to know you a little better

and have come from thread which is a pet peeve of yours... Love, Steven

Guest Editor1

When I look back on my life, there are things I would have liked to have happened differently, but most of them are not things I could control myself.

I would have liked to have gotten married to the right person and perhaps started a family of my own.

I would have liked to have gotten some better breaks in my career that others received and really gotten a chance to see how far I could have gone.

I would have liked to have avoided certain health setbacks.

As for things I could control:

I would have chosen a different university to attend and done a number of things differently during those years.

A lot of smaller decisions along the way.