AlexanderJ

Magic

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is Magic evil?

• Yes
    • No
    • It can be either good or evil.
    • None of the above.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62 posts in this topic

Nowadays the theme in many books and movies is centered around "magic". I have a question which I believe to be very relevant to Christians today: Is magic or the theme of magic evil in of itself, or can it be used to glorify God or both?

Alex, when you read this, you might think I'm nitpicking. I'm not. I think you mean "magick". The occultists spell their 'craft' with a 'k' at the end. Magic (most properly) is the slight of hand that we see stage magicians do to awe audiences, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Magick is occultism and that is what these movies you speak of are promoting. By their intentionally leaving the 'k' off the end of magick, those who are into such evil slip it past the unsuspecting. Magick is most definitely evil, doesn't glorify God and should be avoided by Believers.

Alex, when you read this, you might think I'm nitpicking. I'm not. I think you mean "magick". The occultists spell their 'craft' with a 'k' at the end. Magic (most properly) is the slight of hand that we see stage magicians do to awe audiences, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

Magick is occultism and that is what these movies you speak of are promoting. By their intentionally leaving the 'k' off the end of magick, those who are into such evil slip it past the unsuspecting. Magick is most definitely evil, doesn't glorify God and should be avoided by Believers.

The Encyclopaedia Britannica says this about "magic":

magic, a concept used to describe a mode of rationality or way of thinking that looks to invisible forces to influence events, effect change in material conditions, or present the illusion of change. Within the Western tradition, this way of thinking is distinct from religious or scientific modes; however, such distinctions and even the definition of magic are subject to wide debate....

The magic to which I refer is "a concept used to describe a mode of rationality or way of thinking that looks to invisible forces to influence events, effect change in material conditions". This "magic" is found in the Harry Potter books and films, several of C.S. Lewis' books including the Chronicles of Narnia (several have been made into movies) and many other books and films. Are these representations of "magic" evil?

Is "magic" evil? - is the "concept of a mode of rationality or way of thinking that looks to invisible forces to influence events, effect change in material conditions" intrinsically evil?

The Oxford Dictionary of English defines "magic" as:

magic

noun

• the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.

According to this definition, the Christian God often works using "magic", as do many characters in the Bible and other Christian writings.

Edited by AlexanderJ

Absolutely, using invisible forces to influence events is evil.

Absolutely, using invisible forces to influence events is evil.

God and most believers use invisible forces to influence events every day! God is invisible (usually, at least to us - see 1 Timothy 1:17), and he influences the visible universe with invisible forces constantly and Christians pray every day, appealing to the invisible God to influence the universe using invisible and visible forces.

Edited by AlexanderJ

Nowadays the theme in many books and movies is centered around "magic". I have a question which I believe to be very relevant to Christians today: Is magic or the theme of magic evil in of itself, or can it be used to glorify God or both?

Are you trying to say that Magic can be used for good AlexanderJ?

I think there is a difference between magic (or magick) and creativity would you agree?

Of course, magic can be evil and occult - I would never deny this. I would simply propose that it is not intrinsically good or evil, like most everything else in the universe. I think that C.S. Lewis illustrated this eloquently in many of his writings including but not limited to the "Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Space Trilogy".

Edited by AlexanderJ

Are you trying to say that Magic can be used for good AlexanderJ?

I think there is a difference between magic (or magick) and creativity would you agree?

Yes, I do think that Magic can be used for good as well as evil, especially in light of its definition.

What do you mean by "creativity"? Could you elaborate a little more?

Edited by AlexanderJ

Of course, magic can be evil and occult - I would never deny this. I would simply propose that it is not intrinsically good or evil, like most everything else in the universe. I think that C.S. Lewis illustrated this eloquently in many of his writings including but not limited to the "Chronicles of Narnia" and "The Space Trilogy".

Interesting. I like C.S. Lewis and Tolkein personally. Yet to me these are just fantasies or a made up world. I would never promote actual use of magic for any purpose. God's Holy Spirit is our guide and it is through His power alone that miracles/wonders occur.

What do you mean by "creativity"? Could you elaborate a little?

My question is though what about Harry Potter, the Twilight Saga, etc.?

Creative writting is one thing. Writtings based on the occult is something completely different would you agree?

I don't believe I personally would consider the workings of God as magic/k. To not separate the two blurs a dividing line that should never be blurred.