• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

Superbug Lurks in US Water Treatment Facilities

Posted on Dec. 12, 2012, 6 a.m. in Infectious Disease Environment

MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections acquired outside of hospital settings--known as community-acquired MRSA or CA-MRSA--are on the rise and can be just as severe as hospital-acquired MRSA. However, the potential environmental sources of MRSA or how people in the community come in contact with this microorganism are not well understood. Because infected people can shed MRSA from their noses and skin and through their feces, wastewater treatment plants are a likely reservoir for the bacteria. Swedish researchers have previously identified the presence of MRSA in wastewater treatment plants (WWTPs) in Sweden. Amy R. Sapkota, from the Maryland Institute for Applied Environmental Health (Maryland, USA), and colleagues collected wastewater samples throughout the treatment process at four US WWTPs, each of discharges treated effluent as "reclaimed wastewater" for use in landscaping spray irrigation activities. The researchers found that MRSA, as well as a related pathogen, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA),were present at all four WWTPs, with MRSA in half of all samples and MSSA in 55%.MRSA was present in 83% of the influent-- the raw sewage--at all plants, but the percentage of MRSA- and MSSA-positive samples decreased as treatment progressed. Warning that: "Our findings raise potential public health concerns for wastewater treatment plant workers and individuals exposed to reclaimed wastewater,” the study authors urge that: "Because of increasing use of reclaimed wastewater, further study is needed to evaluate the risk of exposure to antibiotic-resistant bacteria in treated wastewater.”

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/superbug-lurks-us-water-treatment-facilities/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

I can't tell anyone just how important it is to know about this disease.

My mother in 2009 passed away from it. THis is one disease that I can tell you is very sad to see in action.

If a person has it and doesn't catch it in time be prepared to maybe in the future see flesh being broken apart,

cartilage, tendons, ligaments and even bones inside the body.

Be prepared to see pain and anguish on the face.

But most of all be prepared. I stuck by my Mother through day one until the very last day.

By the time this disease had the best of her she was bedridden for the last ! !/2 years of her life.

She felt like a burden. This disease can't be helped by the person who gets it unless they are aware of it to begin with.

I hope and pray that whoever reads this doesn't take this to lightly and say it can't happen to me.

Before you know it it can.

God bless