GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

This thread is in response (or a spin-off) to this thread on A Woman of Inlfuence Proverbs 31:

What are characteristics of a God-fearing man?

What are some passages in the Bible that support your view?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

fear, or terror, or dread..TERROR i say? yes!

i am utterly terrified of someone who has the power to erase my existence with a thought!

good thing God is love, and a Righteous Judge of men. :biggrin2:

woe to the man who blindly fears not He who created the Universe!

God bless you GE. i'll share a few..

Psalm 34

34 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.

3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.

4 I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.

6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.

7 The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

8 O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

9 O fear the Lord, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.

10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing.

11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

12 What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?

13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

14 Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

15The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

16 The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.

17 The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.

21 Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.

22 The Lord redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

1) a God-fearing man trusts and obeys the Lord. obedience that lacks trust produces dead works. disobedience leads to unrighteousness.

a man of godly character behaves godly, and so we who seek righteousness and all good things seek godliness through His Holy Spirit.

this key characteristic of godliness encompasses the plethora of the fruits of the Spirit...which leads us to the following:

Job 1

1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

2 And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

3 His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.

13 And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:

15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,

21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

2) a God-fearing man praises his Creator throughout times of anguish and sorrow. he dares not curse the name of God, or forsake Him who allows us to experience trials for reasons we cannot yet see.

on the contrary, a God-fearing man blesses the name of the Lord. he trusts in the Lord.

this key characteristic..is faithfulness.

-------------

Psalm 111:10

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 9:10

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

3) a God-fearing man is wise.

we see that the understanding that is achieved through this God-given wisdom, is the knowledge of that which is holy.

thus the man who fears God is given wisdom to further discern the holy characteristics of godliness..

i find it interesting how this seems to have come full circle quite nicely with the Woman of Influence.

love to you and God bless.. :heart:

Edited by BlessedByTheBest

A God fearing man

Is loving.

1Jn 5:2-3 KJV By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. (3) For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Is sacrificial

Joh 15:13 KJV Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Is gentle,patient,meek

2Ti 2:24-26 KJV And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, (25) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; (26) And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Is dependent on God

2Co_12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Is a provider

1Ti 5:8 KJV But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Is Wordly :D

Psa 119:105 KJV NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

The Woman of Influence thread is about the Pr 31 woman. Solomon did describe the Man of Noble Character. It's not localized to one chapter, but it's

scattered throughout Proverbs.

A wise man will hear and increase in learning, And a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel. Pro 1:5

Reprove a wise man and he will love you. Pro 9:8

Give instruction to a wise man and he will be still wiser, Teach a righteous man and he will increase his learning. Pro 9:9

...a man of understanding holds his peace. Pro 11:12

The generous man will be prosperous, And he who waters will himself be watered. Pro 11:25

A good man will obtain favor from the LORD. Pro 12:2

A wise man is he who listens to counsel. Pro 12:15

A prudent man overlooks an insult. Pro 12:16

A righteous man hates falsehood... Pro 13:5

Every prudent man acts with knowledge. Pro 13:16

He who walks with wise men will be wise. Pro 13:20

A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children. Pro 13:22

The sensible man considers his steps. Proverbs 14:15

A wise man is cautious and turns away from evil. Pro 14:16

He who is slow to anger has great understanding. Pro 14:29

A man of understanding walks straight. Pro 15:21

...he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Pro 17:27

House and riches are the inheritance from fathers. Pr 19:14

What is desirable in a man is his kindness. Pro 19:22

A righteous man who walks in his integrity-- How blessed are his sons after him. Pro 20:7

A wise man scales the city of the mighty And brings down the stronghold in which they trust. Pro 21:22

A prudent man sees danger, and hides himself... Pro 22:3, 27:12

A wise man is strong, And a man of knowledge increases power. Pro 24:5

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises again, But the wicked stumble in time of calamity. Pro 24:16

A faithful man will abound with blessings, But he who makes haste to be rich will not go unpunished. Pro 28:20

A fool always loses his temper, But a wise man holds it back. Pro 29:11

Many modern translations use the word PERSON in these verses, but older translations use MAN or HE. It's true that these verses also apply to women.

Likewise, many of the traits used to describe the Pr 31 woman also apply to men. Case in point, a virtuous wife will do her husband "good." As believers, men and women are admonished to "do good" to our enemies (Lu 6:27, 35). Hebrews 13:16 is another example where Christians are admonished to "do good" and to share with others. The virtuous woman is hard working and not idle. Apostle Paul proclaimed the value of hard work and sternly warned men (and women) not to be idle (2 Th 3:6-12). The virtuous woman's words are wise and kind. Likewise, Ps 37:30 states that "the mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks what is just." The virtuous woman takes times to care for the poor and needy. As believers, we are all admonished to care for the poor and needy (Ma 25:34-40). The most publicized Proverbs are usually the ones about women and wives. However, Proverbs contains a plethora of wisdom and knowledge vital for the entire body of Christ.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/01/1969

fear, or terror, or dread..TERROR i say? yes!

i am utterly terrified of someone who has the power to erase my existence with a thought!

good thing God is love, and a Righteous Judge of men. :biggrin2:

woe to the man who blindly fears not He who created the Universe!

God bless you GE. i'll share a few..

Psalm 34

34 I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

2 My soul shall make her boast in the Lord: the humble shall hear thereof, and be glad.

3 O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.

4 I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.

6 This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.

7 The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

8 O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.

9 O fear the Lord, ye his saints: for there is no want to them that fear him.

10 The young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing.

11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the Lord.

12 What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good?

13 Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile.

14 Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it.

15The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

16 The face of the Lord is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth.

17 The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

18 The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.

20 He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken.

21 Evil shall slay the wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.

22 The Lord redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.

1) a God-fearing man trusts and obeys the Lord. obedience that lacks trust produces dead works. disobedience leads to unrighteousness.

a man of godly character behaves godly, and so we who seek righteousness and all good things seek godliness through His Holy Spirit.

this key characteristic of godliness encompasses the plethora of the fruits of the Spirit...which leads us to the following:

Job 1

1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

2 And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.

3 His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

4 And his sons went and feasted in their houses, every one his day; and sent and called for their three sisters to eat and to drink with them.

5 And it was so, when the days of their feasting were gone about, that Job sent and sanctified them, and rose up early in the morning, and offered burnt offerings according to the number of them all: for Job said, It may be that my sons have sinned, and cursed God in their hearts. Thus did Job continually.

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.

13 And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:

15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house:

19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,

21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

2) a God-fearing man praises his Creator throughout times of anguish and sorrow. he dares not curse the name of God, or forsake Him who allows us to experience trials for reasons we cannot yet see.

on the contrary, a God-fearing man blesses the name of the Lord. he trusts in the Lord.

this key characteristic..is faithfulness.

-------------

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 9:10

10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

3) a God-fearing man is wise.

we see that the understanding that is achieved through this God-given wisdom, is the knowledge of that which is holy.

thus the man who fears God is given wisdom to further discern the holy characteristics of godliness..

i find it interesting how this seems to have come full circle quite nicely with the Woman of Influence.

love to you and God bless.. :heart:

Very nice post. Fear of the Lord is definitely a Godly trait to have. I like your point about obedience and trust going together as well.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

He is the Almighty God, of whom we should tremble in awe at His Majesty and power. Just my 2 cents...............

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Love first. In all things.

Do this and the rest follows.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  03/25/1993

Amen!

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Matthew 6:33

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I believe one of the characteristics of a God-fearing man is he is a servant leader.

Eph. 5:21-33

Contrary to what some may teach, leadership in the home is not about power or control. Paul asks for mutual submission in Eph. 5:21 and calls husbands to be Christ-figures in Eph. 5:23-25. And how did Christ lead the Church? He provided, taught, wept, healed, and died on a cross. Spiritual leadership (or being a servant leader) means giving up yourself for someone else Eph. 5:25. It means assuming responsibility for the health and development of the relationship's in one's life.

Some thoughts for evaluation regarding leadership in each of these categories:

A. Initiative

Do I give direction and take responsibility for my primary relationships (spouse, children, extended family, and friends)?

B. Intimacy

Do I experience intimacy with God and others (primarily my spouse but also my children as well as other friends/family) through open conversation?

C. Influence

Do I exercise Biblical influence by encouraging and developing others (When was the last time I spent some time in prayer and Bible study with my spouse?)

D. Integrity

Do I lead an honest life, unashamed of who I am when no one is looking?

E. Identity

Am I secure in who I am in Christ? Or am I often defensive?

F. Inner Character

Do I exhibit the fruits of the Spirit in my life, including self-discipline?

This is what God has challenged me with today.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Willing to do what God says no matter what

Not questioning God's existence or plan of salvation