Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Robinson

Opinion? Fact? Which is it?

25 posts in this topic

I'm still fairly new here to Worthy, and I've been noticing something disturbing (and to be fair, not just here, but on other Christian sites as well). It's this: on every non-salvic topic that comes up, invariably there will be people who show up to contest it. And that's fine, iron sharpens iron, after all. But the problem is frequently they do it in such a snotty manner.

For instance, let's say someone wants to discuss a pre-trib rapture (and in the interests of full disclosure, I started thinking about this when a rapture thread here was recently closed due to tempers flaring). It's a fair enough topic; until the day we're taken out of here (or not, depending on which view one takes) this theme always engenders lively banter. That is, until somebody pops up with a version of "the rapture is a LIE from HELL" (with the unsaid conclusion being "and if you think it's true, you're an idiot"). I'm using this only as an example; any hot-button topic will do.

So the question is, why is it so hard for people to soften their words with the addendum, "in my opinion"? As in, "in my opinion, the rapture theory has some problems; let's discuss that", or "I understand you still believe in miracles, but I've been taught those days are over. I'm open to talking about that."

Let's face it, NO ONE has all the facts on everything. I mean, say I believe in a pre-trib rapture (which I do), that God still does miracles (ditto), the gifts are still in operation today (yowza!) ... any number of things that go crosswise of what some of my brothers and sisters in Christ believe. None of these issues are salvic, so why do some folks become so heated when they're discussed. Has the lack of civility we see in the world crept into the church to such a degree that people get so daggone mean when their views are challenged?

Edited by John Robinson

I have been wondering the same myself for some time and have concluded that it is the flesh. The flesh produces pride and arrogance, amongst other attributes, which can do much damage.

I've gotten hot under the collar myself a few times...mostly when scripture gets really taken out of context (like let's add to it and that sort of thing) but

I prob have refrained from calling someone an idiot...at least in the forum, eh? A few times a mod has asked me to kindly tone it down (via pm)

and I have tried and recently some things upset me...so yeah, but I agree some remarks are obviously over the top...but if you notice, they will

usually be coming from a person who is relatively new and needs to have an 'adjustment'

For me, I find the best thing is to chill...go do something else (actually a mod suggested that during my last 'episode' :help:

and it works....I really like using...reading and writing...on Christian forums and at the moment only belong to this one

but do read others, so, it makes sense to adjust yourself to the one you are on and respect the TOS

and yes folks, we do have a special button here that can work until y'all calm down...'ignore'

The problem is we are emotionally attached to what we believe, and we focus on our belief (which we are certain is "the truth" and if the other person doesn't believe "the truth" then they are in deception, and it is our job to free them of this deception!!!) rather than the person we are conversing with.

Actually, it isn't just a "here" thing. Most people are like this everywhere, the only difference is in "here" we don't have the element of body language, and without seeing the other person it is like we are debating a belief rather than a person, which is easier to tear down.

Would also like to add....I didn't used to, but now, when a post really irritates me I won't respond or think they need my 2 pennies worth....whereas

I used to post pronto....and then the diatribe was on LOL!

There are some people who are just going to irritate you no matter what....and some of those people are Christians, so, you have to ask yourself

how you can get along and it seems this is a lesson we are all asking all the time

I've gotten hot under the collar myself a few times...mostly when scripture gets really taken out of context (like let's add to it and that sort of thing) but

I prob have refrained from calling someone an idiot...at least in the forum, eh? A few times a mod has asked me to kindly tone it down (via pm)

and I have tried and recently some things upset me...so yeah, but I agree some remarks are obviously over the top...but if you notice, they will

usually be coming from a person who is relatively new and needs to have an 'adjustment'

For me, I find the best thing is to chill...go do something else (actually a mod suggested that during my last 'episode' :help:

and it works....I really like using...reading and writing...on Christian forums and at the moment only belong to this one

but do read others, so, it makes sense to adjust yourself to the one you are on and respect the TOS

and yes folks, we do have a special button here that can work until y'all calm down...'ignore'

for me the really unique thing is to sense the love the Spirit of God places within me for people here

that disagree with one's formed beliefs... I believe God 'IS' applying our hearts toward change as none

of us have it perfect! Love, Steven

I have noticed that others have perceived me as being angry when I was not even the slightest frustrated. I have watched carefully as I read others posts, seeking to discern their true countenance but it is difficult, as Nebula said, without the aid of body language etc. When someone perceives you as being angry with them, it is that much easier for them to fall into the trap of retaliating against an inaccurately perceived response. I meditate daily on the nine fruits of the Spirit seeking to have them about me at all times but even Jesus who did possess them always was told that he was a Samaritan that had a devil. We live in a very difficult world.

I have noticed that others have perceived me as being angry when I was not even the slightest frustrated. I have watched carefully as I read others posts, seeking to discern their true countenance but it is difficult, as Nebula said, without the aid of body language etc. When someone perceives you as being angry with them, it is that much easier for them to fall into the trap of retaliating against an inaccurately perceived response. I meditate daily on the nine fruits of the Spirit seeking to have them about me at all times but even Jesus who did possess them always was told that he was a Samaritan that had a devil. We live in a very difficult world.

That because you press harder on the keys then other times :happyhappy:

That is just so depressing

That is just so depressing

Oh nay nay... impressive

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0