• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Hi GoldenEagle,

I don't think it's the 'Goals' aspect of your info that B3L13v3R is objecting to; it is the visualization aspect. Visualization is a hallmark of the New Age 'religion' of self, a la The Secret. That stuff was actually hijacked from older stuff from the 1920's called 'New Thought' (Google it for lots of info). The main problem with visualization, as I see it, is that it WORKS. But at what price, and in lieu of what and Whom?

Many Christians have used some form of visualization. They argue that in rejecting visualization, the church is ignoring aspects of the creative imagination that are really legitimate. The comments of researcher Stanley Dokupil are perhaps relevant:

One of the reasons the New Agers are making such inroads is that the evangelical church has proven itself to be unimaginative, and overly linear in its thinking. The unconscious is real and there are powers there I believe that are not necessarily evil. Certain individuals by their nature are more inclined toward the full use of their imaginations than others, artists, therapists, certain other creative types, etc. If the church doesn’t provide a discerning guidance for these people, other than outright dismissal of all borderline phenomena as satanic, then the church is not only poorer for having lost these people but will have to pay for it by having God’s gifts used against His own church. The works of Jonathan Edwards, such as Faithful Narrative of the Surprising Work of God, The Distinguishing Marks of a Word of the Spirit of God, A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections, as well as Elizabeth Winslow’s biography of Edwards are very informative here.

These articles contain some very good info, and you may find them interesting:

http://www.equip.org...ation-part-one/

http://www.equip.org...ation-part-two/

Interesting articles. So in view of this is visualization in sports evil? Basketball coaches typically encourage players to visualize a free-throw being made for example... I wonder what your or B3L13v3R thoughts are?

Keep in mind I didn't write the article of the OP of the thread... It's simply taken from the link and possibly slightly re-worded.

God bless you.

In Christ,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

You have presented some valid points brother.

Are you saying having goals (goal setting), dreams (example: I’d like to be a doctor or nurse one day), etc. is psychology and therefore evil? Please clarify.

No, not at all. Goal setting is fine, but as Christians when we set our goals, we commit them to the Lord, who can, and at times does change them.

The dreams you mention, are fine as well, if within perspective of the Bible.

But the article suggest "you" as bringing about the goals, dreams, and change "you" selfishly want.

Not a Christian man who would submit "his" will to the will of "God."

Similar to goals, dreams should be committed to the Lord.

At times, they may come about, but if not, it's OK as we continue to trust in God Almighty.

It should be less of us, and more of Him:

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Luke 9:23-25

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

The problem with the articles, is they are in fact leaning on man, without trust towards God at all. As the articles stand, they speak of a person who is very alive in the world without Christ, only serving the god of self. They do more than lean towards the occult, calling on "visualization" techniques to bring about the individuals goals and dreams.

Oh, hey ChazzC welcome to Worthy! :)

And yes, you hit it on the head in part to be sure. "The Secret" is on my DVD shelf marked with permanent marker on the outside as "New Age Heresy Reference."

After watching it, I thought how similar it's teachings were to "The Word of (false) Faiths" teachers that are in abundance today.

One of the men in the film is "Jack Canfield of Chicken Soup for the Soul" who whole heatedly is embraced in a number of churches and Christian book stores, through his various "Chicken Soup" books. He also is a complete and utter demonic New Ager, as he embraces "The Secret" whole heartedly. Even when you open the DVD case, there is a "genie" there awaiting you who states "Your Wish is my Command..."

The CRI references you gave were great. I have not seen these, but the two of them gave a great synopsis of the subject of visualization.

One of CRI's "main" books in the past at least was entitled "Kingdom of the Cults." Still on my bookshelf, it comes recommended. It is a help for those wanting to understand a variety of cults and what they think, so that we as Christians can reach out to them with His Biblical Truth, countering their error.

On looking at your first and second links, Jack Canfield was mentioned a number of times as well!

"Jack Canfield is Director of Educational Services for Insight Training Seminars in Santa Monica, California, past president of the Association for Humanistic Education, and consultant to over 150 schools, universities, and mental health organizations. In “The Inner Classroom: Teaching with Guided Imagery,” he asserts: “Guided imagery is a very powerful psychological tool which can be used to achieve a wide variety of educational objectives: enhance self-esteem, expand awareness, facilitate psychological growth and integration, evoke inner wisdom, increase empathy, expand creativity, increase memory, facilitate optimal performance, evoke a more positive attitude, and accelerate the learning of subject matter.”

"The Church. Not unexpectedly, the modern impact of visualization in health, science, education, psychotherapy, and other areas has resulted in visualization techniques being used by more and more Christians. Jon Trott and Eric Pement note that “visualization exercises are increasingly finding their way into Christian churches.”32 In The Seduction of Christianity, author Dave Hunt devotes two chapters to the harmful influence of visualization within the church. He observes, “‘Visualization’ and ‘Guided Imagery’ have long been recognized by sorcerers of all kinds as the most powerful and effective methodology for contacting the spirit world in order to acquire supernatural power, knowledge and healing. Such methods are neither taught or practiced in the Bible as helps to faith or prayer.”33

Hunt distinguishes visualization proper from the nonoccult use of the imagination. He observes:

The visualization we are concerned with is an ancient witchcraft technique that has been at the heart of shamanism for thousands of years, yet is gaining increasing acceptance in today’s secular world and now more and more within the church. It attempts to use vivid images held in the mind as a means of healing diseases, creating wealth, and otherwise manipulating reality. Strangely enough, a number of Christian leaders teach and practice these same techniques in the name of Christ, without recognizing them for what they are.34"

I thought the wrap up was good at the end of link two:

"Therefore, is the visualization program that seeks to remold human depravity into divinity really based on reality? Whose reality? If a Christian has been forgiven, regenerated, justified, joined to Christ, adopted, and positionally sanctified, how important is a spiritual program of visualization? These doctrines are spiritual realities and facts one need only understand and accept to integrate.47 While the imagination might help a Christian to see such realities as personally true, this perception is not something that needs to be attained through a daily program of visualization.

God has promised Christians many things — that He will finish the work He began in us (Phil. 1:6), that our inner man is being renewed day by day (2 Cor. 4:16; 3:18), that we will stand before Him blameless, perfect in body, soul, and spirit — for “the one who calls you is faithful and he will do it” (1 Thess. 5:24).

Christians are to be renewed daily by the Holy Spirit, prayer, and the Word of God. They are not to be renewed by a transpersonal psychology using Eastern metaphysics or inner work through visualization. The power of the Word of God to build a truly integrated person in those whom it “renews” makes modern visualization pale by contrast. Jesus said, “Apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5). Where then is the spiritual power of visualization? Will an hour a day of our busy lives be better spent in visualization or in prayer? Will an hour a day be better spent on the therapist’s couch talking to an imaginary “inner Jesus” or in the Word of God hearing from the real Jesus? And what of our children? Will secular or New Age visualization methods in the classroom finally be in their best interests?

In our culture, visualization practices are here to stay. This underscores the necessity for Christians to bring a thoroughgoing, biblical critique to this occult method."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting articles. So in view of this is visualization in sports evil? Basketball coaches typically encourage players to visualize a free-throw being made for example... I wonder what your or B3L13v3R thoughts are?

Keep in mind I didn't write the article of the OP of the thread... It's simply taken from the link and possibly slightly re-worded.

God bless you.

In Christ,

GE

This too delves towards some of the same visualization that the two CRI articles covered.

Instead of depending solely on talent that has been practiced long and hard for those that excel at sports, "visualization" is looking to mix in with talent.