BlessedByTheBest

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mat 19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Mat 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Mat 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Adam Clarke commentary:

Matthew 19:12

Eunuchs - Ευνουχος, from ευνην εχειν, to have the care of the bed or bedchamber; this being the principal employment of eunuchs in the eastern countries, particularly in the apartments of queens and princesses. These are they whom our Lord says are made eunuchs by men, merely for the above purpose.

So born from their mother’s womb - Such as are naturally incapable of marriage, and consequently should not contract any.

For the kingdom of heaven’s sake - I believe our Lord here alludes to the case of the Essenes, one of the most holy and pure sects among the Jews. These abstained from all commerce with women, hoping thereby to acquire a greater degree of purity, and be better fitted for the kingdom of God: children they had none of their own, but constantly adopted those of poor people, and brought them up in their own way. Philo, Josephus, and Pliny have largely described this very singular sect; and Dean Prideaux, with his usual fidelity and perspicuity, has given the substance of what each has said. Connex. vol. iii. p. 483, etc.; edit. 1725. The account is very interesting, and well worthy the attention of every Christian. Among the rabbins we find these different kinds of eunuchs, not only mentioned, but circumstantially described, סריס חמה saris chama, eunuchs of the sun, i.e. eunuchs by the hand of God; men born impotent. סריס אדם saris Adam, eunuchs of men, those who were castrated. And they add a third sort; those who make themselves eunuchs, abstain from marriage, etc., that they may give themselves Up to the study of the Divine law. See many examples in Schoettgen.

He that is able to receive - Χωρειν χωρειτω. These words are variously translated: he who can take; let him take it; comprehend, let him comprehend it: admit, let him admit it. The meaning seems to be, Let the man who feels himself capable of embracing this way of life, embrace it; but none can do it but he to whom it is given, who has it as a gift from his mother’s womb.

The great Origen, understanding the latter clause of this verse (which I have applied to the Essenes) literally - O human weakness! - went, and literally fulfilled it on himself!

Paul wrote:

1Co 7:37 Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.

-----------------------------

let's not focus on the whole notion of castration.. :online2long:

i would like to focus on the 3rd section of Clarke's commmentary, "He that is able to receive".

i am wondering if there is a way through Scripture that we can tell if there is a difference between being given this gift of God while still being virgin, and of course after having experienced sexual intercourse. is it even possible?

is it possible to come to terms with this even after having children?

can this dedication to celibacy in order to better focus on the kingdom of God simply be received if one wants it? or is one chosen by God for such angelic devotion?

thoughts?

love to you all and God bless. :heart:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

My wife left me last month. She stopped having encounters with me back in February. I have struggled with thoughts and things off and on since she first withdrew herself from me. I have prayed often concerning the issue. Tonight I prayed again. I wasn't experiencing any difficulty or anything but I thought about this very section of scripture and asked that if I would never have access to my wife for this purpose that God would simply remove my desire for intimacy completely and make me a eunuch for his kingdom. I am not interested in having any physical intimacy outside of marriage.

I once thought long and hard about 1 Cor 7:1 as Paul says in it that it is good for a man not to touch a woman. Pretty straight forward. With all the trouble that I have had in my life, I would personally rather have never known a woman and lived for God than to deal with having had known and then had the ability to continue enjoying each other removed but if it is anything like smoking or drinking I will adjust after a period of time, that being if the Lord should tarry, which I don't see happening.

My wife left me last month. She stopped having encounters with me back in February. I have struggled with thoughts and things off and on since she first withdrew herself from me. I have prayed often concerning the issue. Tonight I prayed again. I wasn't experiencing any difficulty or anything but I thought about this very section of scripture and asked that if I would never have access to my wife for this purpose that God would simply remove my desire for intimacy completely and make me a eunuch for his kingdom. I am not interested in having any physical intimacy outside of marriage.

I once thought long and hard about 1 Cor 7:1 as Paul says in it that it is good for a man not to touch a woman. Pretty straight forward. With all the trouble that I have had in my life, I would personally rather have never known a woman and lived for God than to deal with having had known and then had the ability to continue enjoying each other removed but if it is anything like smoking or drinking I will adjust after a period of time, that being if the Lord should tarry, which I don't see happening.

thanks for sharing gdemoss. sorry for your loss.

although my glorious deliverance was in July of this year, by the grace of God i have been willingly celibate since September 2011. i suppose i was not led to continue in my sin to prepare me for what was to come.

before this, you could have called me a womanizer. wanton fornication indeed.

never married, although I do have a daughter...she lives with her mother..

it's difficult to even admit to myself, that i truly don't feel the need to seek marriage at this point in my life. or the loving touch of a woman for that matter..and i'm only 30.

i worry that i have, or may come to feel a disdain for the concept of marriage..as i have seen so many and heard of so many fall apart..

many now Christian women have given me testimony of how they jumped into certain relationships without what they believed was God's stamp of approval, only to experience so many trials and heartbreak, striving to keep a failing marriage together...

wasn't really the focus of this thread..but i guess we need to go there in order to properly expound on the prospect of celibacy and complete devotion to God's kingdom.

love to you...

Edited by BlessedByTheBest

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Over the past few months, I have given a good deal of time to meditating upon this aspect of the Christian life. I have come to understand exactly how a marriage is supposed to work and definitely would have done it much differently, especially the mate selection part, had I known what I know today.

I particularly believe that complete separation unto God, wholly apart from marriage is a higher calling in life. When David was hungry and ate the show bread the priest asked to make sure that they had not been with a woman for at least 3 days before giving it to them.

Over the course of the coming days, I am personally going to be applying myself for to this in prayer. Having come from Alcoholics Anonymous to meet God, it is second nature to begin with a moral inventory followed by confession to another followed yet by time alone to decide within yourself that it is absolutely what you want when petitioning God to change you and finally humbly approaching God and asking him to change your person in such a way that you are free from the desires that have brought about trouble in your life. It is a well thought out process that requires one to face things head on and completely rely upon God for the increase if there be any.

I think we may have to consider other things as well. It just might be God's will that I have more children. He might not fulfill a request that I have to be made a Eunuch for the Kingdom of Heaven if it contradicts his will for my life.

As an aside, I would like to share that I have considered and shared with God that 'if' I could have a choice between taking part in the first resurrection and having the 'new' body and staying in this body until the end of the Millenial reign being one who populates the Kingdom with my own children having a faithful wife who lives according to the will of God by my side, I would choose the latter. I could handle having a lovingly intimate relationship with a woman experiencing all that we are permitted together under the reign of Christ for 1000 years. Knowing that we will not be given in marriage or married in the resurrection. I have extensively enjoyed being in a loving relationship the time that I did get to experience it before error crept in and destroyed that which was good. Knowing that it could stay good for the whole 1000 years would make it worthwhile to me. Then I could get my new body and start my time of being as the angels in heaven.

perhaps you are being prepared for a glorious millennial union with your perfect mate.. :biggrin2: may God give you the necessary insight and guidance in all your thoughts and actions..may His Holy Spirit within you groan those groans we know not of until we find ourselves in that prayer closet..

it appears my questions are timely! Our God is awesome.

commendable choice, brother..nothing to take lightly.

one that could be considered by some as a Huge sacrifice.. if you do undergo such a transformation, i pray your experience is joyous and overwhelmingly gratifying to your Soul.

the Apostle Paul chose that very path so as to have no distractions from the one true love of his life. so as to never be tempted to place another love before his love for Christ.

oh what magnitude of love for our Lord a man must have. a willing servant beyond measure.

on my downward spiritual spiral which resulted in the rising of the born-again son of God speaking to you now, i found myself beginning to despise the act of sexual relations outside of marriage.

perhaps it was just the disgust i felt when looking back on how i once lived..

nonetheless this is just one example of how completely transformed one becomes upon becoming a member of the body of Christ.

perhaps these current times aren't ideal for bringing children into the world..

i find myself worrying of continuing the family name, me being an only son and all..and then i am reminded of the new heavens and new earth to come..and such worldly pursuits become quietly insignificant..

i imagine the holy union of man and woman in the name of God must be such a blessing, and a revelation within itself of our loving God..but i truly don't believe i was meant to experience it.

whatever God's will, for you or I, i pray that it be revealed sooner than later..

after more than a year of celibacy, i have seriously given some thought to it..will be praying on this with you, and for you..

love to you...

i thought Matthew Henry's was interesting...

VI. Christ's answer to this suggestion (Mat_19:11, Mat_19:12), in which,

1. He allows it good for some not to marry; He that is able to receive it, let him receive it. Christ allowed what the disciples said, It is good not to marry; not as an objection against the prohibition of divorce, as they intended it, but as giving them a rule (perhaps no less unpleasing to them), that they who have the gift of continence, and are not under any necessity of marrying, do best if they continue single (1Co_7:1); for they that are unmarried have opportunity, if they have but a heart, to care more for the things of the Lord, how they may please the Lord (1Co_7:32-34). being less encumbered with the cares of this life, and having a greater vacancy of thought and time to mind better things. The increase of grace is better than the increase of the family, and fellowship with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ is to be preferred before any other fellowship.

2. He disallows it, as utterly mischievous, to forbid marriage, because all men cannot receive this saying; indeed few can, and therefore the crosses of the married state must be borne, rather than that men should run themselves into temptation, to avoid them; better marry than burn.

Christ speaks here of a twofold unaptness to marriage.

(1.) That which is a calamity by the providence of God; such as those labour under who are born eunuchs, or made so by men, who, being incapable of answering one great end of marriage, ought not to marry. But to that calamity let them oppose the opportunity that there is in the single state of serving God better, to balance it.

(2.) That which is a virtue by the grace of God; such is theirs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. This is meant of an unaptness for marriage, not in body (which some, through mistake of this scripture, have foolishly and wickedly brought upon themselves), but in mind. Those have thus made themselves eunuchs who have attained a holy indifference to all the delights of the married state, have a fixed resolution, in the strength of God's grace, wholly to abstain from them; and by fasting, and other instances of mortification, have subdued all desires toward them. These are they that can receive this saying; and yet these are not to bind themselves by a vow that they will never marry, only that, in the mind they are now in, they purpose not to marry.

Now, [1.] This affection to the single state must be given of God; for none can receive it, save they to whom it is given. Note, Continence is a special gift of God to some, and not to others; and when a man, in the single state, finds by experience that he has this gift, he may determine with himself, and (as the apostle speaks, 1Co_7:37), stand steadfast in his heart, having no necessity, but having power over his own will, that he will keep himself so. But men, in this case, must take heed lest they boast of a false gift, Pro_25:14.

[2.] The single state must be chosen for the kingdom of heaven's sake; in those who resolve never to marry, only that they may save charges, or may gratify a morose selfish humour, or have a greater liberty to serve other lusts and pleasures, it is so far from being a virtue, that it is an ill-natured vice; but when it is for religion's sake, not as in itself a meritorious act (which papists make it), but only as a means to keep our minds more entire for, and more intent upon, the services of religion, and that, having no families to provide for, we may do the more works of charity, then it is approved and accepted of God. Note, That condition is best for us, and to be chosen and stuck to accordingly, which is best for our souls, and tends most to the preparing of us for, and the preserving of us to, the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

Mat 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Mat 19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

Mat 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

Mat 19:12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Adam Clarke commentary:

Matthew 19:12

Eunuchs - Ευνουχος, from ευνην εχειν, to have the care of the bed or bedchamber; this being the principal employment of eunuchs in the eastern countries, particularly in the apartments of queens and princesses. These are they whom our Lord says are made eunuchs by men, merely for the above purpose.

So born from their mother’s womb - Such as are naturally incapable of marriage, and consequently should not contract any.

For the kingdom of heaven’s sake - I believe our Lord here alludes to the case of the Essenes, one of the most holy and pure sects among the Jews. These abstained from all commerce with women, hoping thereby to acquire a greater degree of purity, and be better fitted for the kingdom of God: children they had none of their own, but constantly adopted those of poor people, and brought them up in their own way. Philo, Josephus, and Pliny have largely described this very singular sect; and Dean Prideaux, with his usual fidelity and perspicuity, has given the substance of what each has said. Connex. vol. iii. p. 483, etc.; edit. 1725. The account is very interesting, and well worthy the attention of every Christian. Among the rabbins we find these different kinds of eunuchs, not only mentioned, but circumstantially described, סריס חמה saris chama, eunuchs of the sun, i.e. eunuchs by the hand of God; men born impotent. סריס אדם saris Adam, eunuchs of men, those who were castrated. And they add a third sort; those who make themselves eunuchs, abstain from marriage, etc., that they may give themselves Up to the study of the Divine law. See many examples in Schoettgen.

He that is able to receive - Χωρειν χωρειτω. These words are variously translated: he who can take; let him take it; comprehend, let him comprehend it: admit, let him admit it. The meaning seems to be, Let the man who feels himself capable of embracing this way of life, embrace it; but none can do it but he to whom it is given, who has it as a gift from his mother’s womb.

The great Origen, understanding the latter clause of this verse (which I have applied to the Essenes) literally - O human weakness! - went, and literally fulfilled it on himself!

Paul wrote:

1Co 7:37 Nevertheless he that standeth stedfast in his heart, having no necessity, but hath power over his own will, and hath so decreed in his heart that he will keep his virgin, doeth well.

-----------------------------

let's not focus on the whole notion of castration.. :online2long:

i would like to focus on the 3rd section of Clarke's commmentary, "He that is able to receive".

i am wondering if there is a way through Scripture that we can tell if there is a difference between being given this gift of God while still being virgin, and of course after having experienced sexual intercourse. is it even possible?

is it possible to come to terms with this even after having children?

can this dedication to celibacy in order to better focus on the kingdom of God simply be received if one wants it? or is one chosen by God for such angelic devotion?

thoughts?

love to you all and God bless. :heart:

If I read you right the answer is yes,, though refraining from sex is one of the hardest things to do for a great many people. But the older a person gets the lower the sex drive ,,some people do not have a sex drive or much of one for various reasons that research can reveal to you. Also do a search on sexless marriages in various continents and you'll be surprised that it is more common than many people realize ,,it surprised me when I watched a talk show discussing it.

thanks Daniel,

can we find why you believe yes in Scripture, or do you believe it simply makes sense to conclude this?

oh my sex drive is there. big time. :happyhappy: this is not of my own doing, trust me. only by the grace of God..

but yes i agree with you on the many reasons for lower sex drive besides age..nutrition, certain addictions, several other health-related issues..

sexless marriages?! :th_frusty: can't be what God ordained.. lol

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I believe the choice of being a Eunuch for the Kingdom of Heavens sake especially applies to men (possibly women too) who have battled with homosexuality, and those that

have become born again have been realistic and changed their life-style...not to suddenly become hetero-sexual...but to recognise homosexuality is wrong and therefore have

embraced the absolute need to be celibate.

I know some people claim to have been delivered from homo-sexuality...but many more have been pressurised into trying to become what they are not...have got married and

even had kids...then fallen back into their previous life-style, admitting they never really changed inside. It is to them I think this can apply and bring a sense of freedom from

guilt and struggling to be what they are not as they trust in G-d and live accordingly

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/13/1974

Blessed by the best, at age thirty I know it must be a very hard struggle. My last was the year I got saved almost 15 years ago, but I am almost forty now. It does get easier in time, but don't let your self be convinced of single life unless you know it is your calling. If God brings you a wife, so be it. Even Paul writes it is better to be married than to burn with passion. It has been a long and hard road for me. God has finally brought my mind set and my body both much more under control, but it is not a off and on switch.

I will be praying. I have not been perfect in my struggle a few years ago, and came close to returning to a life controlled by flesh, but thank God for His power.