IGNORED

What is best way to study Paul's writings ?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

The complexity truly gets to its place once one tries reading Paul in Greek, being a classic language the placing of words is pretty free so you need to to through the sentences throughly to get what it says. The translators sure get my respect.

This is something you can try too: find out the chronological order of Paul's writings and start from the earliest proceeding onwards. In this way, one gets to see in what kind of way Paul is maturing in knowing God through all that he is being led into. His story really is inspirational, beginning from persecuting the believers and ending up as an apostle and martyr. There certainly are some transitions in his walk.

Also, becoming familiar with the relations between the Hebrew and the Greek world helps to understand where much their way of perception comes from. Sure, a lot of revelation from God's part, but in what kind of way it's being expressed and what kind of linguistic symbols are being used open up the text. Understanding the context is refreshing really.

Edited by Diatheosis

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

From my experience, it's less hard reading it in chronological order (since they were written even before the gospels, not sure if all of them but most anyway if so), and definitely knowing the context of the culture back then helps a lot. I recommend the Zondervan TNIV bible, it gives you a brief summary of the context but it gives you a good idea of what was happening