GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I’d like to share some things God laid on my heart in re-reading this today. The passage is the Parable of Talents.

Matt. 25:14-30

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.

29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Talents were passed out to three servants. Two of the servants took chances and reaped the rewards. The third guy buried his talent so he wouldn’t loose it. Perhaps the perspective that Jesus was teaching here was that God would rather see me trying and/or doing something than not doing anything because I was afraid I’d mess up somehow.

Feeling miserable or incompetent is not God’s way. Misery is not from God. God can overcome my incompetence – as God equips those who are called.

Faith in action pleases God. Being paralyzed by fear is not God’s way.

Perhaps this is what I should say to God, “I’m going to step out and do this and trust You to guide me in a different direction if needed. Please teach me your ways and guide my steps.”

1. What do you think of this perspective? Had you thought of this passage in this manner before?

2. What are some areas in your life God wants to challenge you step out in faith and trust Him?

God bless,

GE

Guest bryanw92

Faith in action pleases God. Absolutely! I've always got that from this parable.

Now, what action am I going to do? That is the problem. I'm paralyzed by a church that doesn't seem to have much faith. I'd leave, but I am in a leadership position and my sense of responsibility keeps me there. I'm in a state of indecision as I try to figure out if I am supposed to stay and fight the rest of the leadership to bring God back into our congregation, or do I just cut and run to a new church?

The other leaders are businessmen who run the church like a business, with all the emphasis on the budget and no room for faith other than a quick prayer before meetings.

Sometimes, faith in action can give you ulcers.

I’d like to share some things God laid on my heart in re-reading this today. The passage is the Parable of Talents.

Matt. 25:14-30

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a man traveling to a far country, who called his own servants and delivered his goods to them. 15 And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 16 Then he who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and made another five talents. 17 And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. 18 But he who had received one went and dug in the ground, and hid his lord’s money. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants came and settled accounts with them.

20 “So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, ‘Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.’ 21 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’ 22 He also who had received two talents came and said, ‘Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.’ 23 His lord said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.’

24 “Then he who had received the one talent came and said, ‘Lord, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours.’

26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27 So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 28 Therefore take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents.

29 ‘For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 30 And cast the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’

Talents were passed out to three servants. Two of the servants took chances and reaped the rewards. The third guy buried his talent so he wouldn’t loose it. Perhaps the perspective that Jesus was teaching here was that God would rather see me trying and/or doing something than not doing anything because I was afraid I’d mess up somehow.

Feeling miserable or incompetent is not God’s way. Misery is not from God. God can overcome my incompetence – as God equips those who are called.

Faith in action pleases God. Being paralyzed by fear is not God’s way.

Perhaps this is what I should say to God, “I’m going to step out and do this and trust You to guide me in a different direction if needed. Please teach me your ways and guide my steps.”

1. What do you think of this perspective? Had you thought of this passage in this manner before?

2. What are some areas in your life God wants to challenge you step out in faith and trust Him?

God bless,

GE

Hello GE,

1. This is also my understanding of the parable. I like how you say God equips those He calls and also I can see that God will only expect from us "to each according to his own ability" .

2. At this time I would be considered closer to the wicked servant unfortunately in my mind because I believe God would have me do more in the areas of relationships and witnessing and trusting. I am not strong in these areas.

Faith in action pleases God. Absolutely! I've always got that from this parable.

Now, what action am I going to do? That is the problem. I'm paralyzed by a church that doesn't seem to have much faith. I'd leave, but I am in a leadership position and my sense of responsibility keeps me there. I'm in a state of indecision as I try to figure out if I am supposed to stay and fight the rest of the leadership to bring God back into our congregation, or do I just cut and run to a new church?

The other leaders are businessmen who run the church like a business, with all the emphasis on the budget and no room for faith other than a quick prayer before meetings.

How long have you been at your current church? Have you felt God calling you in a new direction? It's a new year perhaps time for new direction?

Praying for you.

God bless,

GE

Hello GE,

1. This is also my understanding of the parable. I like how you say God equips those He calls and also I can see that God will only expect from us "to each according to his own ability" .

2. At this time I would be considered closer to the wicked servant unfortunately in my mind because I believe God would have me do more in the areas of relationships and witnessing and trusting. I am not strong in these areas.

1. I agree with you brother. :)

2. What areas of relationships? Do you have non-Christian friends? What areas of life are you lacking in trusting God?

God bless,

GE

2. What areas of relationships? Do you have non-Christian friends? What areas of life are you lacking in trusting God?

God bless,

GE

I have some non Christian friends yes. My problem is being involved intimately with people. I do not trust many people; I can count them on one hand if I even had 3 fingers missing. :D

I will give an example of not trusting God. I applied for a job and prayed for God to deliver favorable response. The next day I also applied for another less favourable job ( to me ). Now I think "why did I apply for the second job if I trust God to deliver the first job."

Guest bryanw92

How long have you been at your current church? Have you felt God calling you in a new direction? It's a new year perhaps time for new direction?

Praying for you.

God bless,

GE

I've been there for 6 years, which is my entire Christian life. I felt like I needed to go elsewhere earlier this year, but just when I was about to leave, I heard someone tell another person "Blossom where you are planted." Even though it wasn't directed at me, it hit me like a ton of bricks. No one knew that I was thinking of leaving my church--even my wife. If I stay, I know that I have to go "all in" and change the direction of the church, but that kind of thing is terrifying. I'm worried that I don't have the energy to row against the tide to accomplish what needs done.

Praying for you.

God bless,

GE

I've been there for 6 years, which is my entire Christian life. I felt like I needed to go elsewhere earlier this year, but just when I was about to leave, I heard someone tell another person "Blossom where you are planted." Even though it wasn't directed at me, it hit me like a ton of bricks. No one knew that I was thinking of leaving my church--even my wife. If I stay, I know that I have to go "all in" and change the direction of the church, but that kind of thing is terrifying. I'm worried that I don't have the energy to row against the tide to accomplish what needs done.

We've been at our current church 4 years. We've had various leadership positions. However, in praying with my wife on the subject we believe God is leading us to search out a new church this next year of 2013. I've heard the "blossom where you are planted" saying before. We've attempted to help others see the freedom that can be found in God's grace however when the leadership is legalistic the followers will tend to be the same.

We've tried this for a season of life and now believe God may have other opportunities in store for us. Being that we have family on staff at our church it will be difficult for us to do. But faith in God's timing will direct us and carry us through.

Prov. 3:5-6

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,

And lean not on your own understanding;

6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,

And He shall directyour paths.

The purpose of this thread was to be real and vulnerable. Thanks for sharing brother. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Yes GE. I do agree with your conclusions about this parable. It took a certain amount of faith to invest the talents, and two acted on that faith. The third person was so fearful of failure, he buried his talent so he would be sure to be able to return it to his Lord. I think God is telling us to step out on faith and obey whatever he is calling us to do.

It's good to agree on things isn't it brother. :thumbsup:

Ps. 133:1

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brothers to dwell together in unity!

I see you answered #1. What about #2? What are some specific aspects of life God wants you to trust Him in faith this year?

God bless,

GE

God bless,

GE

I have some non Christian friends yes. My problem is being involved intimately with people. I do not trust many people; I can count them on one hand if I even had 3 fingers missing. :D

I will give an example of not trusting God. I applied for a job and prayed for God to deliver favorable response. The next day I also applied for another less favourable job ( to me ). Now I think "why did I apply for the second job if I trust God to deliver the first job."

Interesting brother. I'll admit I'm familiar with what you are going through. I was hurt by a girl friend and didn't trust people for a long time. It was a deep wound and I believe deep down inside I blamed God ultimately for allowing me to go through pain. I didn't trust too many people - not even my family and most importantly God. But in time God drew me back to Himself and helped me see that reaching out to others is okay. That being vulnerable and even being hurt is a part of life. As a Christ-follower I'm to be a risk taker. Jesus loved people to the point of dying on the cross for their sins. He even knew that many would reject Him. Yet Jesus made the sacrifice anyway.

Perhaps this year consider making 2 new Christian friends? And perhaps even reach out to one or two non-Christian friends you may have? Thoughts?

Of course our closest friends should be Christians. Jesus had the 12 and then the 3 in His inner circle. And 1 Cor. 15:33 says "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'"

Praying for you. You are loved dear brother. God has a plan for your life. Christ came to give us life in abundance.

Ps. 139:13-16

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

Jer. 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

John 10:10

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I {Jesus} have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

I believe fear is the opposite of what God wants for us. Our minds are to be renewed and we're to discern what God's will is. He has called us to live bold, loving, engaging lives with those who are our brothers and sisters in Christ. He has also called us to spread the good news. :)

Rom. 12:2

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Matt. 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

God bless,

GE