Fez

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

A graven image would be, from what I have come to understand, a misrepresentation of God created to represent Him..God does not want any sort of physical object to represent Him is what I understand when I take a serious look at the scriptures that deal with this subject

Exactly!!!! :hurrah:

However, you are made in His image and you are an object therefore you are not to be worshipped. Neither an animal like some of the pagan tribes used to do. The cat was revered and worshipped in ancient Egypt for instance. The reason a "classic" fashioned idol is set up in the first place is to offer it worship. I know people today who set up Oprah as an object of worship. Who hang on the words of New Age Prophets and refuse the correction of the Word. They have placed someone or something between they and God.

Christ was tempted to worship satan in order to receive a temporal Kingdom. He refused. Therefore, an Angel can be an object of worship and an idol in the sense that it requires your full devotion in the place of God.

You see examples in scripture of angels refusing this honor because they know better;

Re 22:9

Then he said unto me, See you do it not: for I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of them who keep the words of this book: worship God.

You also see men in the book of Acts refusing to be worshipped.

You cannot make Doctrine out of one passage of scripture. It must be supported by the Word, by practice, and by historical application and interpretation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

Anything can become an Idle on on Friday in Canberra their is an event each year around this time called Summer Nat"s new record was Broken 62 cars all together doing a massive burn out this event draws a lot off car fanatics people come from all over the state i have been asked to work at the Summer Nat"s part of the cleaning crew thank god it finishes on Sunday 90.thousand people were their on Friday

for these people summer Nat"s is their idle i got talking to some guys and they put away what they can just to come to Canberra for summer Nat"s

I've never seen an image of GOD. I've never even read a physical description of GOD. I've seen religious art depicting what some person imagines Christ would look like. But that is not an idol unless you hold that art in high esteem or anything other than just religious art. I suspect that is the real, hidden subject of this thread. We have seen this thread before.

I've never seen an image of GOD. I've never even read a physical description of GOD. I've seen religious art depicting what some person imagines Christ would look like. But that is not an idol unless you hold that art in high esteem or anything other than just religious art. I suspect that is the real, hidden subject of this thread. We have seen this thread before.

Personally, Fez's motives for starting this thread are unknown to me. However, if the "art" you are referring too happens to come up, why not discuss it? I don't see the harm. It's only "art".

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Personally, Fez's motives for starting this thread are unknown to me. However, if the "art" you are referring too happens to come up, why not discuss it? I don't see the harm. It's only "art".

My motive is to prove that an idol can be anything we idolize. Hey, Imelda Marcos had thousands of shoes from all over the world while her people lived in slums. Idolizing anything is dangerous. Putting anything before God can be idolatry, because He should be first and foremost and reign over everything in our lives.

Let's discuss art for a moment. A picture of Jesus, an artists rendition of what He may have looked like, is idolatry, and a grave sin? But a painting of a nude in a compromising position is "less" sinful?

If you put either before God, they are idols.

Let's discuss art for a moment. A picture of Jesus, an artists rendition of what He may have looked like, is idolatry, and a grave sin?

Let's discuss this through the Word.

If God commands us to do something and we go against His Word, is that sin?

But a painting of a nude in a compromising position is "less" sinful?

Whoever told you that is a liar. :)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

A graven image would be, from what I have come to understand, a misrepresentation of God created to represent Him..God does not want

any sort of physical object to represent Him is what I understand when I take a serious look at the scriptures that deal with this subject

ok...when I wrote this, I was not thinking of or meaning art, statues or even a creche. I don't see those things as sinful...

now statuary in Catholic churches might fit into the 'thou shalt not' if they are prayed to or considered in some way a

meaningful representation

I don't think an artists' rendition is necessarily an idol...but then I am not even into religious art but I had some very heavy

doses of art theory and history in college, so I am pretty aware of what is out there

Most religious art will depict Jesus...as far as actually representing God goes, the only thing that comes immediately to mind

is the Sistine chapel and Michelangelo's God reaching out to touch Adam

Speaking of nude, most of the figures in that work were originality depicted in the altogether....there was the pope who

went around fig leafing and painting over all the au naturel elements in statuary and paintings in a around the Vatican...

forget his name

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Let's discuss art for a moment. A picture of Jesus, an artists rendition of what He may have looked like, is idolatry, and a grave sin?

We are to Live by the Spirit and not the Letter of the Law.

Lu 14:5

And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have a donkey or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?

Is that a sin?

A graven image would be, from what I have come to understand, a misrepresentation of God created to represent Him..God does not want

any sort of physical object to represent Him is what I understand when I take a serious look at the scriptures that deal with this subject

ok...when I wrote this, I was not thinking of or meaning art, statues or even a creche. I don't see those things as sinful...

now statuary in Catholic churches might fit into the 'thou shalt not' if they are prayed to or considered in some way a

meaningful representation

Regardless of what you were thinking or not thinking, you hit the nail on the head with that statement.........because it's true.

One other observation........why are the standards for catholics and noncatholics different when the behavior is the same? It's ok for one but not the other.

We are to Live by the Spirit and not the Letter of the Law.

Lu 14:5

And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have a donkey or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not immediately pull him out on the sabbath day?

Is that a sin?

237.gif

:D