• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I wish I could agree with you that it was a fear of mixing religion rather than a fear of mixing colour. I was raised by a white family in Christianity from birth. I still encountered people in wider christendom who expected me to be from a muslim country, or thought I was native american, children called me that naughty 'n' word. Funny thing about being mixed race. People aren't really sure what you are, they just know you're not them. It was very common for people to come up to me and before asking me what my name is they asked me what are you? Did they mean are you a Christian? No, because I used to like to play with them. What are you? I'm Canadian? No, I mean what are you? Oh, I'm a Christian. No I mean where are you from? I'm from New Brunswick. That's not what I mean? Oh, *innocent blink* what do you mean then? Where are your parents from? My mother is from England, my father was born in quebec? Most gave up and walked away by this point, or were rescued by friends. But the few who stuck it out and got to the question they wanted to ask, what race are you? My answer was human. I guess you can see where I might have gotten a reputation for being ornery. I just wanted them to ask me what they mean. I remember the first and second time it happened I was genuinely confused and honestly answering what I thought they were asking me. But when it became apparent the whole round-a-bout was about race it made me uncomfortable and a little irritated. I can't count the number of times this happened.

I believe the question ought to be, "What ethnic heritage are you?"

A lot, if not most, Americans (USA) are of mixed ethnic heritage (Caucasians, or whites, can ethnically be a mix of anything from British to Italian to Russian ethnic heritage, for instance). But I know several white-skinned people who have Native American heritage within them.

Does that help any?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As for the racial divide, I have come to believe that the conflict is over culture rather than appearance. We tend to associate race with certain behaviors and beliefs or even such things as dress or music. The conflicts arise because there is a perception of one's culture being threatened or challenged, or one simply is uncomfortable with the other culture.

I don't know what cultures exist in Canada beyond "French" and "English" and Native Americans. But here we have so many subcultures and the same kinds of antagonism going on between these as you would see with racial antagonism. For example, small town folk don't like city folk, and vice versa, and both have sterotypes and animosities against each other, both thinking the other is better.

That's why I don't think it's about genetics.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I've never heard of a city pride group campaigning against mixing with country folk, or declaring that such a mixture would be against God and damaging to the blood lines of the city folk. I've also never heard for a pastor refusing to marry a city person to a country person, or of a church refusing membership to a mixed country/city couple.

I have heard of white pride groups, and black pride groups. I've heard of both declaring that the defence of their race requires that they be against the mixing of the races. I have heard of pastors refusing to marry a black person to a white person, and of a church refusing membership to a mixed black/white couple.

I would also challenge the assumption that colour predetermines culture.

Edited by BatSheep

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,072
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I've never heard of a city pride group campaigning against mixing with country folk, or declaring that such a mixture would be against God and damaging to the blood lines of the city folk. I've also never heard for a pastor refusing to marry a city person to a country person, or of a church refusing membership to a mixed country/city couple.

I have heard of white pride groups, and black pride groups. I've heard of both declaring that the defence of their race requires that they be against the mixing of the races. I have heard of pastors refusing to marry a black person to a white person, and of a church refusing membership to a mixed black/white couple.

I would also challenge the assumption that colour predetermines culture.

When one is in the forest all one can see is trees... when one is in the desert all one can see is sand, cactus...

when one is in the Word all one can see is how God Sees... Love, Steven

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I have heard of pastors refusing to marry a black person to a white person, and of a church refusing membership to a mixed black/white couple.

Then one should not even be considering being married in;let alone becoming a member of such a church.

As, has been pointed out already on this thread , "Who is of a pure race anyway?" if that exists and I doubt it.

God loves us, each and everyone of us , you do really need to try and move forward and build your life on God's love for you.

The rest will not help you, it can only bring you down and hinder your spiritual growth.