Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seriousseeker

Hope In Christ

22 posts in this topic

Here is a thought for non-believers to consider.

HOW HOPE MATTERS

Contemplating Judgment

If you walked on earth in heavenly hope

And was quite settled in your bliss;

What would it matter if death is the end

And you then left the world like this?

If you lived your days with faith in God's Son

And had peace and joy at the last;

Could it matter at all if hope should fail

And there's nothing when life is past?

If you disallow God, His love and truth

As the Bible truly does tell;

Should that matter now as you ponder life

If your end might sadly be hell?

If you miss heaven's joy and all that's good

And you find the Bible was true;

If you die so soon and know not God's Son,

What will it then matter to you?

- R. L. DeWitt, 7/04

And if you go to hell, you’ll be so busy shaking hands with all your friends... You won’t have time to worry!

Shake, Shake, Shake And Bake

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. Mark 9:47-48

With Nary A Drop To Drink

And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. Luke 16:24

And All Because You Say Nay Nay

The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:35-36

So What Kind Of Logic Was That?

~

Believe

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones. Proverbs 3:5-8

And Be Blessed Beloved

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Love, Joe

the Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon Him Ps 145-18

Fresnojoe, your posts always look to me like they are written in iambic pentameter for some reason. The aforementioned logic was from an old Irish anecdote, and not meant to be taken too seriously. There's a Japanese story along the same lines:

There was once a man who was being chased by a ferocious tiger across a field. At the edge of the field there was a cliff. In order to escape the jaws of the tiger, the man caught hold of a vine and swung himself over the edge of the cliff. Dangling down, he saw, to his dismay, there were more tigers on the ground below him! And, furthermore, two little mice were gnawing on the vine to which he clung. He knew that at any moment he would fall to certain death. That's when he noticed a wild strawberry growing on the cliff wall. Clutching the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other and put it in his mouth.

He never before realized how sweet a strawberry could taste.

That story makes me sad, Nick. :(

HOW HOPE MATTERS

Contemplating Judgment

- R. L. DeWitt, 7/04

Hi Seriousseeker,

First of all, happy new year!

As an unbeliever, I feel addressed and I am always interested in possible logical justifications to believe in Christianity. My initial post was too lazy from my side and has been correctly deleted, to avoid further misunderstandings.

If I read this correctly, this is Pascal wager in poetic form. That is, believing in God can only provide advantages: if God does not exist, then we unbelievers do not win anything, but if He does exist, then we lose everything, by landing forever in hell. Symmetrically for believers, of course.

If that were the case, then this poem would provide a rational justification to believe in God. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The problem is that if we consider the possibility of another different god X (with a similar punishement/reward system), then by substituting "God" with "X", we would have a rational justification to believe in X.

But we cannot have rational justifications to believe at the same time alternative versions of God, since they might contradict each other (belief in one might generate punishement if the other exists). Therefore, if follows logically, that this argument alone cannot be used to provide rational justification for belief in any god.

Ciao

- viole

But Viole, there is a major flaw in your argument. Christ is the only God, amongst the other "gods" to come and die for mankind. Your not going to find a God whom came down to take our place outside Christianity (at which I will add the only TRUE religion ;) ), all other religions ask for your life, all Christ asks for is your consideration and love. The other "gods" want your life.

HOW HOPE MATTERS

Contemplating Judgment

- R. L. DeWitt, 7/04

Hi Seriousseeker,

First of all, happy new year!

As an unbeliever, I feel addressed and I am always interested in possible logical justifications to believe in Christianity. My initial post was too lazy from my side and has been correctly deleted, to avoid further misunderstandings.

If I read this correctly, this is Pascal wager in poetic form. That is, believing in God can only provide advantages: if God does not exist, then we unbelievers do not win anything, but if He does exist, then we lose everything, by landing forever in hell. Symmetrically for believers, of course.

If that were the case, then this poem would provide a rational justification to believe in God. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The problem is that if we consider the possibility of another different god X (with a similar punishement/reward system), then by substituting "God" with "X", we would have a rational justification to believe in X.

But we cannot have rational justifications to believe at the same time alternative versions of God, since they might contradict each other (belief in one might generate punishement if the other exists). Therefore, if follows logically, that this argument alone cannot be used to provide rational justification for belief in any god.

Ciao

- viole

But Viole, there is a major flaw in your argument. Christ is the only God, amongst the other "gods" to come and die for mankind. Your not going to find a God whom came down to take our place outside Christianity (at which I will add the only TRUE religion ;) ), all other religions ask for your life, all Christ asks for is your consideration and love. The other "gods" want your life.

Viole, it isn't about logic at all, it's about faith; and it's each person's decision to make. God bless you.

I had what I was gonna post all written out, but this thread would likely be closed and that is not fair to the person whom made this thread. On top of that, WCF is not a platform to teach antisemitic theism, and I see that this is where it is likely to lead to.

God bless you

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0