• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

****Please note this is not the OP/Subject just the introduction****

I’m going to start a series about Leadership on WCF and how it applies to Christians today. My hope is to encourage others to grow and mature in their walk with the Lord. I also would like to see people reach their full potential in leadership in reaching those around them for Christ and making disciples in fullfilling the Great Commission.

Here's what we've discussed and looked at from a Scriptural perspective so far:

God bless,

GE

------------------------------------

*****This is the OP and subject to this thread below*****

Leadership - 4. The Law of the Navigation: Anyone Can Steer the Ship, But It Takes a Leader to Chart the Course

"A leader is one who sees more than others see, who sees farther than others see, and who sees before others do." - Leroy Eims

The larger the organization, the more clearly the leader has to be able to see ahead. That's true because sheer size makes midcourse corrections more difficult. And if there are errors, many more people are affected than when you're traveling alone or with only a few people. The disaster shown with the sinking of the Titanic comes to mind. First there were over 2,200 passengers and another nearly 900 crew on board. There were only 20 lifeboats on board the ship that could only account for about half of those onboard in the event the call to abandon the ship was made. Second the crew could not see far enough ahead to avoid the iceberg altogether, and they could not maneuver enough to change course once the object was spotted because of the size of the ship - the largest built at the time. The result was that more than one thousand people lost their lives.

I like air planes. Occasionally you hear about the crash of four military planes flying together in formation. What is often the cause for the loss of all 4 planes? The reason for the loss of all four is this - When jet fighters fly in a group of four there is a designated pilot who is the lead plane and he/she designate where the team will fly. The other three planes fly on the leader's wing, watching him and following him wherever he goes. Whatever moves he makes, the rest of the team will make along with him. that's true wether he soars in the clouds or smashes into a mountaintop.

Navigators do 4 things:

1. They draw on past experience. Every past success and failure can be a source of information and wisdom - if it is allowed to be. Successes help us understand what works while failures show us where assumptions/methods were flawed. Ultimately all wisdom is from God, God guides those who have been saved by His Holy Spirit, and our guide physically is His Word.

Prov. 14:16

One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless.

Col 3:16

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

2. They listen what others have to say. Particularly those who are experts in whatever field in question. "No matter how much learn from the past, it will never tell you all you need to know for the present." - John C. Maxwell

Prov. 11:14

Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.

Prov. 12:15

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.

Prov. 15:22

Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.

Prov. 18:1

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.

3. They examine the conditions before making commitments. Good navigators count the cost before making commitments for themselves and others.

Proverbs 13:16

A wise man thinks ahead; a fool doesn’t, and even brags about it!

Proverbs 24:27

Prepare your work outside and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, then, build your house.

Luke 14:28-30

For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’

4. They make sure their conclusions represent both faith and fact. This usually means having a positive attitude and a willingness to take risks. It also means trusting in God sometimes even when the facts don't always point in the direction we'd like.

Proverbs 16:1

The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.

If a leader can't navigate the people through rough waters, he is liable to sink the ship.

Opening questions:

A. What are some examples in the Bible of the leaders who navigated through tough times and won? (A few examples come to mind like Moses, Solomon, Nehemiah... These might be a good starting point?)

B. What are some examples in the Bible of leaders who refused to navigate through tough times and their people suffered as a result?

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

* Assume I'm using this source for all my posts on this thread: Leadership material from John C. Maxwell including the "21 Laws of Leadership" and "The Maxwell Leadership Bible - NKJ"

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/31/1952

Thanks for your insights! It is just what I needed to hear this morning! Isn't GOD grand!

Thanks for your insights! It is just what I needed to hear this morning! Isn't GOD grand!

Glad it touched your heart. God is good. All the time. All the time God is good. What section exactly spoke to you?

Care to answer either of the opening questions?

A. What are some examples in the Bible of the leaders who navigated through tough times and won? (A few examples come to mind like Moses, Solomon, Nehemiah... These might be a good starting point?)

B. What are some examples in the Bible of leaders who refused to navigate through tough times and their people suffered as a result?

God bless you sister!

In Christ,

GE

4. The Law of the Navigation: A. Plan Ahead.

Ex. 5:1

Afterward Moses and Aaron went in and told Pharaoh, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Let My people go, that they may hold a feast to Me in the wilderness.’”

No question about it, Moses had a major challenge on his hands. Not only did He have to convince everyone - including the leader of the land in Pharaoh - to him lead the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt, but he had to plan the whole process.

To mobilize his countrymen he first had to organize them. This required shrewd planning.

Think of the following acronym of John C. Maxell whenever a major challenge or opportunity approaches:

P - Predetermine your course of action.

L - Lay out your goals.

A - Adjust your priorities.

N - Notify key personnel.

A - Allow time for acceptance.

H - Head into the action.

E - Expect problems.

A - Always point to your success.

D - Daily review your progress.

Thoughts?

God bless,

GE

Ps - Remember...

673874.jpg

God using Moses to lead the children of Israel out Egypt was a nearly impossible task. Yet this is a good reminder:

Matt. 19:26

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

The Navigaator does 4 things were really what I needed to hear! All the quotes from Proverbs were right on the money!!! Thanks, I am not a big poster, I more tend to read and learn because God speaks in many things that are written!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

4. The Law of the Navigation: A. Plan Ahead.

Ex. 5:1

Afterward Moses and Aaron went in and told Pharaoh, “Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘Let My people go, that they may hold a feast to Me in the wilderness.’”

No question about it, Moses had a major challenge on his hands. Not only did He have to convince everyone - including the leader of the land in Pharaoh - to him lead the Hebrew slaves out of Egypt, but he had to plan the whole process.

To mobilize his countrymen he first had to organize them. This required shrewd planning.

Think of the following acronym of John C. Maxell whenever a major challenge or opportunity approaches:

P - Predetermine your course of action.

L - Lay out your goals.

A - Adjust your priorities.

N - Notify key personnel.

A - Allow time for acceptance.

H - Head into the action.

E - Expect problems.

A - Always point to your success.

D - Daily review your progress.

Thoughts?

God bless,

GE

Ps - Remember...

673874.jpg

God using Moses to lead the children of Israel out Egypt was a nearly impossible task. Yet this is a good reminder:

Matt. 19:26

26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Great GE! The OP and this one here ! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if we discussed David and Goliath in another thread, but I think the story is worth being made mention of again!

1 Samuel 17:45

"45Then said David to the Philistine, You come to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."

Goliath was a whole 6 cubits and a span (or 9'3,1 Samuel 17:4) the weight of his coat of mail was 5,000 shekels of bronze (or 156, 1 Samuel 17:5) the iron spearhead (not the spear itself) weighed 600 shekels (or 18 pounds, 1 Samuel 17:7) We can conclude that this was one fierce man!

Now David on the other-hand, was just a youth (1 Samuel 17:33) the youngest of his brothers. Then Saul tested Davids faith and proclaimed this, also saying that Goliath was a man of war from his youth, this seed of doubt was far from being planted into Davids mind. Despite His young age and lack of war experience he was certain the LORD would deliver Goliath to his hand. (1 Samuel 17:37) After seeing David's desire to fight this man and his faithfulness to God, Saul permitted David to carry on and said the LORD be with you! David could not wear the armor, so instead he took up his staff and choose five smooth stones from the brook and put them in his Shepard's bag (1 Samuel 17:40)with this he had his sling. When Goliath approached David he disdained him; for he was only a youth, ruddy and good looking (1 Samuel 17:42) He mocked David and asked him, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with a sticks? And he cursed David by his gods." (1 Samuel 17:43) David then rebuked Goliath, proclaiming this, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel who you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD's and He will give you into our hands" (1 Samuel 17:45-47) David drew from his sack a stone, and he slung it and struck the Philistine and killed him. He ran over to Goliath and cut off his head. Once the Philistines saw their champion had been defeated they fled. (1 Samuel 17:50-51)

Now there are alot of things to consider in this, lets follow the PLAN AHEAD

P-David had heard what was going on and wanted to fight the Philistine (1 Samuel 17:33)

L-David's goal was to deliver Israel and proclaim the Name of the LORD, letting it be known to all that there is a God of Israel! (1 Samuel 17:45-47)

A-When a lion or bear came amongst the flock that David was tending to, and took a lamb, he would go out against the beast and deliver the lamb from its mouth and when it arose against him he would grab it by its beard and slay it. Just as the Philistine went out against the flock of the LORD, the God of Israel will go out and slay the ravenous beast, the Philistine Goliath will be just like one of them. David said with confidence, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver m from the hand of this Philistine." (1 Samuel 17:34-37)

N-After hearing this Saul considered his servant David and allowed him to fight against the Philistine's Champion

A- It was not long before Saul accepted David to be the fighter, but likewise, David would not take no for an answer.

H-David took up the 5 smooth stones, his sling, and his staff and approached the Philistine. Not in fear, but in the name of the Lord! (1 Samuel 17:45 & 48)

E- Instead of just taking up one stone, David took with him 5 stones in his Sheppard's bag. The reasoning is not very clear, but being that Goliath was one monstrous man, it seems evident as to why. (1 Samuel 17:40)

A-David not only was confident, but he knew that the LORD would be faithful and deliver him. David stepped out in faith and knew that God would not only see him through it but he would come out of it unharmed. He glorified God's name and reaped the reward for his faithfulness to God. Childlike faith :)

D-The same God that looked after David that day, kept with Him continually, providing for him and proving His love and protection as a faithful Father does time and time again. Not only could David reflect on this but each time a bigger task presented itself, David would say just what that picture is showing above. God is bigger than this, He will prove His faithfulness and set out His will for me, guiding and protecting me. Again, child like faith :)

God is Good :royalty:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

The Navigaator does 4 things were really what I needed to hear! All the quotes from Proverbs were right on the money!!! Thanks, I am not a big poster, I more tend to read and learn because God speaks in many things that are written!

Thankfulness and blessings in your life are wonderful to hear !!!! Don't worry about being a huge poster, GE I am sure is looking for the Holy Spirit to come upon the readers and give fruit to their spirit and to grow, and praise the Lord that it has done as such to you!

God bless you!

Thankfulness and blessings in your life are wonderful to hear !!!! Don't worry about being a huge poster, GE I am sure is looking for the Holy Spirit to come upon the readers and give fruit to their spirit and to grow, and praise the Lord that it has done as such to you!

God bless you!

Yes Jacob that is exactly the idea. I praise God He has used this frail, failed, forgiven man to bless your life lorie. :)

Re: posting - No worries lorie. Isn't God's Word awesome? I love reading it. :thumbsup: It seems every time I read it there is something God wants to teach me if I just open up my heart to change and conform to Christ. Your post reminds me of another good passage that is a good challenge to me...

James 1:19

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.

More proverbs regarding listening… :)

Prov. 19:27

Cease to hear instruction, my son {or daughter}, and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

Prov. 19:20

Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.

Prov. 25:12

Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold is a wise reprover to a listening ear.

There is also the comfort knowing that God is never late or early. He teaches us what He wills at just the right time. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

Great GE! The OP and this one here ! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if we discussed David and Goliath in another thread, but I think the story is worth being made mention of again!

1 Samuel 17:45

"45Then said David to the Philistine, You come to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied."

Goliath was a whole 6 cubits and a span (or 9'3,1 Samuel 17:4) the weight of his coat of mail was 5,000 shekels of bronze (or 156, 1 Samuel 17:5) the iron spearhead (not the spear itself) weighed 600 shekels (or 18 pounds, 1 Samuel 17:7) We can conclude that this was one fierce man!

Now David on the other-hand, was just a youth (1 Samuel 17:33) the youngest of his brothers. Then Saul tested Davids faith and proclaimed this, also saying that Goliath was a man of war from his youth, this seed of doubt was far from being planted into Davids mind. Despite His young age and lack of war experience he was certain the LORD would deliver Goliath to his hand. (1 Samuel 17:37) After seeing David's desire to fight this man and his faithfulness to God, Saul permitted David to carry on and said the LORD be with you! David could not wear the armor, so instead he took up his staff and choose five smooth stones from the brook and put them in his Shepard's bag (1 Samuel 17:40)with this he had his sling. When Goliath approached David he disdained him; for he was only a youth, ruddy and good looking (1 Samuel 17:42) He mocked David and asked him, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with a sticks? And he cursed David by his gods." (1 Samuel 17:43) David then rebuked Goliath, proclaiming this, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel who you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD's and He will give you into our hands" (1 Samuel 17:45-47) David drew from his sack a stone, and he slung it and struck the Philistine and killed him. He ran over to Goliath and cut off his head. Once the Philistines saw their champion had been defeated they fled. (1 Samuel 17:50-51)

Now there are alot of things to consider in this, lets follow the PLAN AHEAD

P-David had heard what was going on and wanted to fight the Philistine (1 Samuel 17:33)

L-David's goal was to deliver Israel and proclaim the Name of the LORD, letting it be known to all that there is a God of Israel! (1 Samuel 17:45-47)

A-When a lion or bear came amongst the flock that David was tending to, and took a lamb, he would go out against the beast and deliver the lamb from its mouth and when it arose against him he would grab it by its beard and slay it. Just as the Philistine went out against the flock of the LORD, the God of Israel will go out and slay the ravenous beast, the Philistine Goliath will be just like one of them. David said with confidence, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver m from the hand of this Philistine." (1 Samuel 17:34-37)

N-After hearing this Saul considered his servant David and allowed him to fight against the Philistine's Champion

A- It was not long before Saul accepted David to be the fighter, but likewise, David would not take no for an answer.

H-David took up the 5 smooth stones, his sling, and his staff and approached the Philistine. Not in fear, but in the name of the Lord! (1 Samuel 17:45 & 48)

E- Instead of just taking up one stone, David took with him 5 stones in his Sheppard's bag. The reasoning is not very clear, but being that Goliath was one monstrous man, it seems evident as to why. (1 Samuel 17:40)

A-David not only was confident, but he knew that the LORD would be faithful and deliver him. David stepped out in faith and knew that God would not only see him through it but he would come out of it unharmed. He glorified God's name and reaped the reward for his faithfulness to God. Childlike faith :)

D-The same God that looked after David that day, kept with Him continually, providing for him and proving His love and protection as a faithful Father does time and time again. Not only could David reflect on this but each time a bigger task presented itself, David would say just what that picture is showing above. God is bigger than this, He will prove His faithfulness and set out His will for me, guiding and protecting me. Again, child like faith :)

God is Good :royalty:

I agree the story of David in Goliath is timeless. You did a good job of evaluating the situation, the actions, and the outcome. :thumbsup:

David saw a need and allowed God to use his life. Sometimes being bold requires simply trusting God in times when life looks difficult or the storms of life come our way. How would you apply this law to your life?

Excellent thoughts brother in red! This is applying this as found in Scripture. The key is David had faith in God and not in his own skills. Faith like this allows God to conquer giants in our lives.

God bless,

GE

Yet again you have written something I needed to hear! James 1:19 I pray everyday that he will give me the words to say and the wisdom to keep my mouth shut!