IGNORED

Is Water Baptism Essential to Salvation?

Hansc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Believers_Baptism.JPG

1. Is Water Baptism Essential to Salvation?

No.

2. Must a person be baptized to be saved?

No.

3. What is your understanding of this matter?

Salvation is through faith alone. It is 100% free to us and 100% costly to God – He gave His Only Begotten Son (Jesus) as an atoning (substitute) sacrifice for our sin. (See Rom. 5:1-2 and Eph. 2:8-9)

Rom. 5:1-2

1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Eph. 2:8-9

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.

We are justified by faith in Jesus Christ. Not by faith and ceremony: See Rom. 4:1-11

Circumcision was a religious ceremony where one person (a priest, rabbi, father or male relative usually) performed the ceremony on another person (a son or young man). Likewise, baptism is a ceremony of eternal significance that is performed by one person (a pastor/priest) on another (a new Believer).

Baptism is a symbol of being buried with Christ and being raised to walk in new life with Him. It is a ceremony that represents an outward expression of an inward reality. It is said to representative (a picture if you will) of death in the old life. (See Rom. 6:3-5), the union with and in Christ (See Gal. 3:27), the cleansing of a person’s sins (See Acts 22:16), and the identification with the One being baptized into as is found in the OT with the Israelites who were baptized by Moses (See 1 Cor. 10:2).

Rom. 6:3-5

3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,

Gal. 3:27

27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Acts 22:16

16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’

1 Cor. 10:2

2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,

4. Why do you believe as you do?

See above. Baptism is the new outer expression replacing (circumcision) of the inward reality (salvation) that the Holy Spirit lives within a person and Jesus Christ is that person’s Lord and Savior.

Thoughts?

God bless,

GE

immersion.jpg?w=500&h=333

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Something to consider - the Hebrews called it "immersion" - a common word - rather than "baptism" - a unique word to describe a religious practice.

Immersion in water was a common practice among the Jews. They would immerse themselves in pools of water before entering the Temple, for example. Immersion in water was also something the Jews just did to signify a cleansing of the heart, a change in devotion to the Lord, transitioning into a new "life" in devotion to the Lord.

Basically, immersion (baptism) was just something they did.

Thus, when it came to accepting and receiving Jesus and Messiah and Lord, immersing themselves was simply doing what they always did. There was no question of "why" or "is it essential", it was just a part of how they worshiped and how they lived.

So the question is, why is baptism being questioned?"

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

The OP clearly stated why and almost everyone knows that some people believe it is necessary before your sins are cleansed and many do not and the poster wanted to get peoples answers to their questions. It is a doctrinal question. That is what the forum is about, right?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I wasn't going to get involved with this thread, for it is way too personal; it cost me two very dear friends from my early age. But I do need to share something with you all.

When I was a Junior in High School, a very good friend of mine went up in front of his Baptist Church on Wednesday night and professed his faith in Jesus, and confess with his mouth that Jesus from that time on was to be his Lord.

He was to be baptised on Sunday night as was the custom of his church. Long story short he was killed in a car wreck on Saturday afternoon.

Well, we had quite a discussion at school, but not like here, it got way beyond personal. I was raised in the Church of Christ and it was at that time when I had asked our pastor about it for I wasn't sure that I was told that he could not get into heaven, but neither could any of the other Baptists that attended his church...... unless they had been Baptised by someone who was a member of one of the Churches of Christ. Other denominations would say that he could not enter heaven for he was not baptised.

Well, it caused me to rebel and for about 16 months my actions will put God to the test as to whether or not he actually does forgive to the point of forgetting.

So I would ask you if God almighty would condemn a young Sophomore in High School who just happened to be born into a Baptist family and send him to hell?

And this I would add is not some made up story to make you think, it actually caused such a division in our people that it permanently disrupted friendships and sent me over the edge for some time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,866
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

just to make sure you do see the question, I ask..... is God going to throw Joe into the fire because he didn't live long enough to be baptised???

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Jesus told one of the thieves on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. I doubt the thief had a chance to get baptized.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The OP clearly stated why and almost everyone knows that some people believe it is necessary before your sins are cleansed and many do not and the poster wanted to get peoples answers to their questions. It is a doctrinal question. That is what the forum is about, right?

Yikes, I wasn't attacking you or your question.

What you are asking is an old question, I know. What I'm asking is why the issue of the necessity of baptism ever became questioned in the first place. When did people start asking if baptism is necessary or not. Was it asked in the first century?

I am not challenging the OP. I am answering the question by trying to provoke some thinking.

Guest ninhao

What you are asking is an old question, I know. What I'm asking is why the issue of the necessity of baptism ever became questioned in the first place. When did people start asking if baptism is necessary or not. Was it asked in the first century?

Hello Nebula,

The Ethiopian ( non Hebrew ) seemed to understand the importance of immersion. Maybe Phillip taught him this.

Act 8:36-38 KJV And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? (37) And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (38) And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

I think you are correct in suggesting baptism was so familiar a practice that no one questioned it.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Well it seems that everyone here is following the same pattern of thought.

How would you explain what these verses say about baptism?

1 Peter 3:18-21

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It says that just as Noah's family (eight souls) was saved by water, that baptism also saves us.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Jesus told one of the thieves on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. I doubt the thief had a chance to get baptized.

I love this point, well mainly hearing the point. "If Baptism is essential, then why didn't Jesus baptized anyone?"

Romans 6:4 says that we are "baptized into his death" .. How could anyone be baptized into his death if he was still alive?