IGNORED

Is Water Baptism Essential to Salvation?

Hansc

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Well it seems that everyone here is following the same pattern of thought.

How would you explain what these verses say about baptism?

1 Peter 3:18-21

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It says that just as Noah's family (eight souls) was saved by water, that baptism also saves us.

As I see this passage, Peter is saying that the Lord preached to the lost souls during the days of Noah. The Holy Spirit speaking through Noah proclaimed God's message for those 120 years that the Ark was being built. But only the 8 came into the Ark. The water of the flood brought the judgment on those who were continually wicked in their minds. And v21 says it is a like figure that baptism does save the believer, not the cause of it just a like figure of it. And I believe this is talking of the baptism of the Holy Spirit who places us into the body of Christ. 1 Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body— whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit. He took the judgment and we by faith in Christ Jesus are imputed His righteousness. Rom 1:3-4 concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh, 4 and declared to be the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.

Rom 6:1-4 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. The glory should always go to what Jesus Christ did for the believer as scripture says, 1 Cor 1:30-31 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

1 Cor 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Col 3:17 And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Remembering without Him we can do nothing, therefore He is entitled to all the praise and glory. At least this is how I understand that passage.

• Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Jesus told one of the thieves on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. I doubt the thief had a chance to get baptized.

I love this point, well mainly hearing the point. "If Baptism is essential, then why didn't Jesus baptized anyone?"

Romans 6:4 says that we are "baptized into his death" .. How could anyone be baptized into his death if he was still alive?

The above reply I mentioned about being baptized into His death. The believer is baptized into His death at Calvary where He paid the penalty for our sin debt and not only ours John says, but for the sins of the world. The whosoever that will believe on His name and turn to Him in repentance as scripture says. As a result of dying to self the believer is told they are new creations in Christ and are to reckon themselves dead to their old sin nature and walk in newness of life that has been given them. Rom 6:9-11 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Another of the many that demonstrate the principle teaching of imputed righteousness and other spiritual blessings for the saints. Because He died and rose, the saints penalty He paid in full, they will never die again because He will never die again and they are in Him positionally. The saints are seated in heaven just as He is in heaven, He in us, we in Him and as chapter 17 of John says, we will behold His glory with the Father.

Edited by allofgrace

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Is Water Baptism Essential to Salvation?

To fulfill part of all that is righteous as Jesus said to John the Baptist prior to His baptism. This act and all acts of obedience demonstrate the desire which the Lord puts in the believer's heart to obey and to do(Phil 2:13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.) John the Apostle said in 1 John 2:28-29 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming. 29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him. Obedience should be the desire of the heart for all Christians and is why Paul and others kept telling us to examine ourselves that we be in the faith. This passage here in 1 John tells us why it is important, that we be not ashamed at Jesus coming.

Must a person be baptized to be saved?

No, but if one willfully reject the first thing a believer should do without very good cause, that is no demonstration of a surrender heart. We can see in the NT days it was done speedily to new converts but I believe scripture plainly teaches that without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness(remission). It says nothing of water baptism being a requirement. This is as good an example as any of which there are several which tells us how saints are cleansed: Rev 7:13-14 Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, “Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?”14 And I said to him, “Sir, you know.” So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

What is your understanding of this matter?

Why do you believe as you do?

The answers above state my convictions.

Allofgrace, I really liked your answer and the insight you gave. I think you really hit the nail on the head. Thanks for your thoughtful answer.

I think there have been several really good answers and these help me formulate my own responses when people ask me things along these lines. So thanks for your thoughtful responses.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Baptism does not make you a believer but it shows you that you are a believer. It does not save a believer; it shows the believer has been saved. It is often done in the presence of family members, in front of the church a person is or has joined, and reflects an inward expression of an outward faith. --not mine

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesian 2:8-9

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What you are asking is an old question, I know. What I'm asking is why the issue of the necessity of baptism ever became questioned in the first place. When did people start asking if baptism is necessary or not. Was it asked in the first century?

Hello Nebula,

The Ethiopian ( non Hebrew ) seemed to understand the importance of immersion. Maybe Phillip taught him this.

Act 8:36-38 KJV And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? (37) And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (38) And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

I think you are correct in suggesting baptism was so familiar a practice that no one questioned it.

So then baptisim could be considered more cultural than anything...right?

Just as cultural as memorizing the Torah, sacrificing, meeting in the Synagogue, etc. For them, culture and religion went hand in hand. This is one of the reasons the believing Jews had a hard time with believing Gentiles not becoming Jews. But if you notice, among the religious-cultural practices mentioned that Gentiles did not have to follow, baptism is not in the list. But rather, baptism went hand in hand with receiving Jesus as Messiah, Lord and Savior.

And they didn't wait days, weeks, or months between receiving Jesus and being baptized, nor did they take special classes on it. They just did it.

• Group:  Members
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Jesus told one of the thieves on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise. I doubt the thief had a chance to get baptized.

I love this point, well mainly hearing the point. "If Baptism is essential, then why didn't Jesus baptized anyone?"

Romans 6:4 says that we are "baptized into his death" .. How could anyone be baptized into his death if he was still alive?

I have to ask this question....Are you saying that Jesus is not alive?

Sorry, let me rephrase. What I meant by "still alive" was that in the flesh he had not yet been crucified and put to death. Of course he resurrected from the grave and is alive forever more.

Guest shiloh357

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

It says that just as Noah's family (eight souls) was saved by water, that baptism also saves us.

1. "Saved" here isn't talking about being saved from sin. The Greek word "saved" is used five different ways in the NT

2. The Greek says that Noah and his family were saved through the water. The water was not the intstrument of salvation. They water was the instrument of judgment. The ark they were in was the instrumnet of salvation. The ark, not the water, is the type of Christ who is our salvation. Here is a more accurate translation:

For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him

(1Pe 3:18-22)

As you can see, they were brought to safety through the water, not by the water itself. Thus the flood cannot be used a picture of salvation from sin. The flood was judgment upon sin. The ark is salvation in the midst of God's wrath.

3. Peter explains that he is not saying that the ceremony of baptism saves us. He is connecting baptism with having a good conscience before God which ties baptism, to the process of sanctification, not salvation from sin. We are saved from sin by finsished work on the cross and nothing else. Our conscience is what is being "saved" or sanctified until we die. Sanctification is the process by which we are being conformed more and more into the image of Christ on a daily basis. Sanctification is the second stage of salvation, if you will. Salvation occurs in three basic stages: Justification, Sanctification and Glorification. Baptism is tied to the inner work sanctification. It is not a mere symbol. It loses its sanctifying value if it is not joined with inner spiirtual grace. If one is not truly converted, the baptism is an empty exercise. But neither is it an agent of salvation from sin. It follows salvation from sin. IT is not the means of procuring it.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/13/1974

I am hoping brother, that the many responses here clearly answer your question. If you have more, please share. I was saved for ten years before I was baptized. This is not something I am bragging about by any means, but I certainly do know I would of been with Jesus if I would of died before that time. This hope was given to me when I first accepted Jesus. ANY WORKS BEYOND SALVATION is adding to the gift of Jesus Christ. However, we will know those who belong because with a truly changed heart we will want to follow Jesus and His commandments. Jesus judges on our heart and the knowledge in which He has given us and our response according to such. Not one person alive was ever able to keep all the commandments and none ever will, but we are made holy through the blood of Jesus Christ.

This does not mean we live in a depressed state thinking we can never become perfect, as living perfect is being holy before God without having a heart that condemns us, but means instead of focusing on ourselves, as in we could ever do something to repay our dept to Christ, to always focus on Jesus and His love for all man kind. As we grow in Christ and His love we will share more and more of His love and always want to do as He commands or wants us to do. Once we know what Jesus wants is what is always best for our eternity, it is then we can truly hold on His love and share it around the world.

God laid baptism on my heart, and in time, I obeyed. All should be baptized. Sooner the better. However, not at all how we get to heaven. However, grieving the Holy Spirit can lead to separation. I guess that, however, is a different topic. :)

God bless

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

Baptism does not make you a believer but it shows you that you are a believer. It does not save a believer; it shows the believer has been saved. It is often done in the presence of family members, in front of the church a person is or has joined, and reflects an inward expression of an outward faith. --not mine

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesian 2:8-9

Beautifully explained, whoever explained it! I believe that the "one baptism" discussed in Ephesians 4 is the one of the Holy Spirit, not the one of water. Just like in Mark 1:8, there is a distinction between Holy Spirit baptism and water baptism. So no, I don't believe that water baptism is essential to salvation, nor does a person get "saved" by a water baptism ; Jesus Christ is essential, and is the definition to, our salvation. Water baptism is an outflow of that salvation, an act of obedience.

My understanding of this is based on the knowledge that Christ is my Messiah, and His sacrifice is what enables me to have a relationship with God. Talking of salvation through Christ, the bible references faith and confession of that faith (John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 10:9, etc), but it does not specifically say that water baptism is salvation.

I believe as I do because not too long ago, I was a member of a Church of Christ, and was taught something far different. I was challenged by my future husband to study in depth why I believe this. After studying, I came to the conclusion that it is Jesus that saved me, not my act of being baptized by water.

Thank you all for the great posts! I look forward to reading more :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Beautifully explained, whoever explained it! I believe that the "one baptism" discussed in Ephesians 4 is the one of the Holy Spirit, not the one of water. Just like in Mark 1:8, there is a distinction between Holy Spirit baptism and water baptism.

I believe you are referring to the "second blessing", so-called, but I am talking about God sealing us with the Holy Spirit at the time we are justified and regenerated. Yes I believe that one can receive an infilling some time after salvation, but the later infilling is not the baptism, I don believe, the sealing and the Holy Spirit coming to reside in the heart of every believer is, it's the initial not the latter benefit.