• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

“Deeper”

Luke 5:1-11

1 So it was, as the multitude pressed about Him to hear the word of God, that He stood by the Lake of Gennesaret, 2 and saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone from them and were washing their nets. 3 Then He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the multitudes from the boat.

4 When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”

5 But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 6 And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 7 So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”

9 For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; 10 and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” 11 So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.

Jesus saw the fishermen who were mending their nets. (v. 2) God is aware of every aspect of our lives and has a plan for bringing honor to His name. A. Are we more concerned about our plans or God’s plans?

fishermen.jpg

Simon Peter, Andrew, James, and John were all busy washing/mending their nets. (v.2, v. 10, Matt. 4:18-22) B. How often are we busy being busy bodies?

Jesus got into one of the boats and asked Peter to put out a little from the land. (v. 3) Sometimes God interrupts our busy lives because He wants to teach us something. C. A good question to ask daily: What does God want to teach us this day?

Jesus new that there had been no fish. (v. 4, 5) It is likely Peter was a seasoned fisherman. It is likely that Peter’s father was a fisherman and had passed on his work to his two sons – Peter and Andrew. (Matt. 4:18-22) D. Are we experts in whatever we spend our time on? What do we spend our time on?

Everything Peter knew told him that what Jesus commanded him to do was not going to work. (v. 5) Peter could’ve said, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing. I have been doing this a very long time. I know when the best times and even the best places to fish are. This is not the right time and this location is just not going to work. I really should get back to my nets.” E. Sometimes, do we think we know better than God?

Yet what did Peter say? “Nevertheless, at Your word I will let down the net.” (v. 5) Simple. To the point. Peter said by this statement, “I will trust you.” F. Are we making excuses or are we trusting God on a daily basis?

Food for thought. After we discuss these first 5 verses I’ll get to the second part of the passage.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

GE

PS – The first part of the story is great but the second is just as important - more to follow:

the-miraculous-draught-of-fishes.jpg

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/31/1952

Great message!!!!!! I loved What is God trying to teach us today! We just need to be still so we can hear what he is saying to us!

Guest bryanw92

A. Are we more concerned about our plans or God’s plans?

B. How often are we busy being busy bodies?

C. A good question to ask daily: What does God want to teach us this day?

D. Are we experts in whatever we spend our time on? What do we spend our time on?

E. Sometimes, do we think we know better than God?

F. Are we making excuses or are we trusting God on a daily basis?

I just finished reading James MacDonald's new book, "Authentic" and the whole book is about this subject. The book convicted me quite a bit and I'm still digesting it all.

A. We are definitely more concerned with our plans than God's plans. Even the "Godly" folk put a lot of effort into making their plans work the way they planned. Many fool themselves into believeing that their plans are God's plans, so everything is working out great!

B. We do put a lot of energy into being busybodies. Also, since we accept that everyone else is a busybody too, we expend a lot of energy making sure that we put up the right image for those busybodies.

C. We really should begin the day asking what God is going ot reveal to us today. Usually, the best we do is to at least notice what we learned at the end of the day (if we even give God the credit).

D. We are experts at what we spend out time on. Our vocations and hobbies take up most of our day and people are comfortable doing what we know best. When we turn our minds to God, we tend to get confused. We have a hard time figuring out what God wants. We have a hard time listening to the Holy Spirit try to explain it to us. Even our bible study can be confusing. We read and find a piece of scripture that really burns in our heart and when we tell someone else about it, they might tell us about another verse the seems to contradict it. Two steps forward and one step back.

E. Of course we do! Especially, the modern human who has been told from birth that we're all special and we live in a secular world where media tells that we can all be gods of our own little sphere of influence. Our fallen nature receives more confirmation of its own (secular) righteousness than any people have ever had before.

F. If we are honest about all the above, then we aren't making as many excuses as many of the people who claim that these are all problems that other people have.

Edited by bryanw92

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yet what did Peter say? “Nevertheless, at Your word I will let down the net.” (v. 5) Simple. To the point. Peter said by this statement, “I will trust you.” F. Are we making excuses or are we trusting God on a daily basis?

How do we trust God when the Church world teaches that God commissioned the murder of Job's children?

How do we trust God when we are taught he gets the glory for our sickness? We should all get real sick to give him even more glory...

How do we trust God when we are taught He takes loved ones by some sovereign plan as his ways are mysterious. You can't trust someone that is mysterious.

We can't teach one, while teaching the other can we?

Even sitting at MY Church the Pastor had to give the news about one of our church family's being killed Saturday night. Their car hit ice and then a tree, killed mom, dad, and the two children. His comment was that God causes it to rain on the just and unjust.

At the end of service, he started to talk about how good God is, and to trust him. But just at the start of service he said God murders his own indiscriminately, and God murders those not his the same.

What do we believe here? The righteousness of God is revealed from Faith to Faith, and if experiences line up with God doing all these horrible things, and getting some twisted glory by having us sick, then it's hard to jump to that next level of faith in someone like that.

Jesus Is Lord

Your pastor, like many Christians, has the wrong understanding, and pity for his sake...he is actually teaching it.

We can always trust God, and that he has only our good in His mind AT ALL TIMES!

Horrible things happen and lives are lost, but that isn;t by His hand. People forget that this earthly realm is under the control of the evil one. He has the agenda to steal, kill and destroy, yet so many Christians forget about that!

That family in your church who lost their lives so tragically did so at the hands of the devil and not God, who mourns their loss to the world also.

Make a decison to trust God no matter what. It is a choice and He will make sure it proves to be a worthy one.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/20/1987

A. Are we more concerned about our plans or God’s plans?

B. How often are we busy being busy bodies?

C. A good question to ask daily: What does God want to teach us this day?

D. Are we experts in whatever we spend our time on? What do we spend our time on?

E. Sometimes, do we think we know better than God?

F. Are we making excuses or are we trusting God on a daily basis?

D. We are experts at what we spend out time on. Our vocations and hobbies take up most of our day and people are comfortable doing what we know best. When we turn our minds to God, we tend to get confused. We have a hard time figuring out what God wants. We have a hard time listening to the Holy Spirit try to explain it to us. Even our bible study can be confusing. We read and find a piece of scripture that really burns in our heart and when we tell someone else about it, they might tell us about another verse the seems to contradict it. Two steps forward and one step back.

E. Of course we do! Especially, the modern human who has been told from birth that we're all special and we live in a secular world where media tells that we can all be gods of our own little sphere of influence. Our fallen nature receives more confirmation of its own (secular) righteousness than any people have ever had before.

F. If we are honest about all the above, then we aren't making as many excuses as many of the people who claim that these are all problems that other people have.

Well said. This makes me think of Galations 5:16-18: 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

If we can get through every day and ask ourselves that question of what God wants us to learn, and allow the Spirit to guide US, instead of US trying to guide the Spirit, we will be so much better off and more at peace. At least for me, I am at peace knowing I have a Heavenly Father in charge, even if I don't understand His will.

Brother Mike, my best friend is a sister in Christ, and a couple of years ago her brother in law shot and killed her mother and sister at their home a few weeks after Christmas, then turned the gun on himself. She was very close to her family, and she was very heartbroken. Instead of blaming God losing her faith over this tragedy, she thanked Him for allowing her to speak to her mother on the phone extensively the night before she died, and praised His name at the funeral. I don't know why bad things happen, and I pray that if something like this happened to me, I would be able to see through my grief enough to know that God grieves with me, and something better is waiting for me than this life. Romans 8:18-27 explains that "the whole creation groans," and later says that even those of us who have the gift of the Spirit groan.

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. 19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. 23 Not only that, but we also who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, eagerly waiting for the adoption, the redemption of our body. 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us[b] with groanings which cannot be uttered.27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Next verse: 28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. God is righteous and holy, and I trust Him with my whole heart. If we can't trust God, there is nothing that matters.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

How do we trust God when the Church world teaches that God commissioned the murder of Job's children?

How do we trust God when we are taught he gets the glory for our sickness? We should all get real sick to give him even more glory...

How do we trust God when we are taught He takes loved ones by some sovereign plan as his ways are mysterious. You can't trust someone that is mysterious.

Even sitting at MY Church the Pastor had to give the news about one of our church family's being killed Saturday night. Their car hit ice and then a tree, killed mom, dad, and the two children. His comment was that God causes it to rain on the just and unjust.

At the end of service, he started to talk about how good God is, and to trust him. But just at the start of service he said God murders his own indiscriminately, and God murders those not his the same.

What do we believe here? The righteousness of God is revealed from Faith to Faith, and if experiences line up with God doing all these horrible things, and getting some twisted glory by having us sick, then it's hard to jump to that next level of faith in someone like that.

Jesus Is Lord

Your pastor, like many Christians, has the wrong understanding, and pity for his sake...he is actually teaching it.

We can always trust God, and that he has only our good in His mind AT ALL TIMES!

Horrible things happen and lives are lost, but that isn;t by His hand. People forget that this earthly realm is under the control of the evil one. He has the agenda to steal, kill and destroy, yet so many Christians forget about that!

That family in your church who lost their lives so tragically did so at the hands of the devil and not God, who mourns their loss to the world also.

Make a decison to trust God no matter what. It is a choice and He will make sure it proves to be a worthy one.

AMEN!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

The natural reaction of man when the sin in us meets the light in Christ/God is, run away, go hide, escape the uneasiness, the discomfort of having our sins revealed - depart from me Lord. I know the discomfort all too well, but he wants us to come to him and confess so that his blood would cleanse for all sin. Afterward, the discomfort dissipates and then we as children want to be in his presence, joy in fellowship is restored. Remember Mary Magdalene, demon processed, harlot, she was cleansed, she came to him and sat at Jesus feet, the enmity all gone.

GE, thanks for directing our thoughts in this teaching.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

we look not at the things which are seen,but at the things that are not seen 2Cor 4-18

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,770
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Jesus Is Lord

Make a decision to trust God no matter what. It is a choice and He will make sure it proves to be a worthy one.

Loved one your exclusion of God in this is not what we see in Job! God dictated what was to be done

with Job to the letter! Pin pointed even to His Life- one can only know what God teaches us in this by yielding

to His Word...

Job 1:12

12 And the Lord said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person."

So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord.

NKJV

Besides was it not our choice to sin against God? Should we not eat of the fruit of our choice in the world it has

formed? Love, Steven

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

Great message!!!!!! I loved What is God trying to teach us today! We just need to be still so we can hear what he is saying to us!

Sometimes it the still small voice of God that I need to listen to. Often, I'm concerned about reading a ton of Scripture instead of focusing one or two passages and allowing God to teach me. Great thoughts. :)

God bless,

GE